OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

The only sub-caption mark that I see that supports that contention might be the 99 - 99 that Cadets got in brass. How can a judge give a 99 - 99 as a final score when there were three corps still to perform? In fairness to the judge, I can see why someone would get painted into such a corner when the excellence leading up to Cadets' performance dictated that only a 99 would compare Cadets to the brass lines preceding them. But, where is there room for three higher-ranked corps to score? The judge left room only for a 3-way tie at 100 or a 4 way tie at 99 or maybe a combination of each. There's no doubt we are talking brass performances that were next to impossible to compare to previous years.....

That show was both a judge's dream and a judge's nightmare. They enjoyed the privilege of adjudicating the best competition I can recall. And with that privilege, the awesome responsibility of shaving minute differences. They did their job. After watching Blue Devils, I was convinced that either Crown was going to perform to perfection or finish second....

If Crown and Blue Devils appeared in reverse order last night, they both would have scored a bit higher..... just my uneducated opinion.

How do you know he didn't read them as 19.9? Or 20.0 (by comparison)? Plus, it wasn't his first brass rodeo. HE AND HE ALONE WAS OUT THERE FOR ALL 11½ MINUTES! Frankly, I prefer judges who take those kinds of risks. It usually works out (go back almost 40 years for a true bottleneck in GE).

I'm sure that if DCP were alive in 1987, there would be a 200+ page thread on Ted Nicholeris throwing down a 10 to Garfield's drumline (plus Ensemble and GE). BD had yet to perform, though they were 4th, back then the defending Champ went last. And BD got a 9.9 in field drums in semis (Garfield's 9.7). Balls! That was the very first "field" 10 (well, they got one a couple weeks earlier from a different judge). Then there was BD's 10 in marching in 1995 prelims (or semis) and the Cadets' marching 10 in 1998. It's not perfect. It's relative. But everyone LOVED Crown's 20 in Brass when they won in 2013. Right? (Yes, they went on last. I know.)

Edited by Tad_MMA

Beinbe e name="Tad_MMA" post="3492436" timestamp="1439141727"]

No. He gave NO pause. He ran it together like syllables of a word. If I knew how to edit that from the official DCI YT video, I would. And it isn't how he says things; it's in the context. The 1992 CAVALIERRRRRSSSS was screamy and emotional. Bias.

(By the way, I study and report journalistic bias for a living. I felt at home with my OP.)

I just don't agree with this.

The 1992 Cavaliers was an incredibly emotional night, and he had to shout to be heard over the roar of the crowd.

I am also sure that aFter two straight second place finishes for the Cavaliers, and being around the activity as long as he had, he got a little caught up in the moment.

Listening to how he introduced the Devils he gave the same kind of hype as he did the other corps.

After he slurred through "99.65" last year, I can't make out "Blue Devils" at all. Maybe he should have shouted. The examples I gave would sway a jury. I'm convinced of it. The minute I get my new computer, I'm going to splice it all together for the Court.

Everyone was on their A-game last night. Kudos to ALL marching members for a job really well done!!! I found Cadets and Crown absolutely captivating! Congrats to BD for pulling #17...l'm not sure I agree with the final decision, but hey, it was obviously in the judges hands......

Agreed. I was up top at finals, Cadets were at their absolute finest and Crown almost made me cry like a little girl. Coats and BD were great but the other two were magical. Judging momentum takes over I guess. Sigh,

After he slurred through "99.65" last year, I can't make out "Blue Devils" at all. Maybe he should have shouted. The examples I gave would sway a jury. I'm convinced of it. The minute I get my new computer, I'm going to splice it all together for the Court.

Lol. After 5 Martinis, you were slur too,

Edited by Tobias

Seems like a real waste of time to me.

Oh, I thought you were talking about a judge interrupting a performance! My apologies. You are correct. Mr. Prosperie should absolutely be fired for interrupting your applause.

(/sarcasm)

I never said that. I never said anything about him being fired! You're exaggerating!!!

I said he should shot, then hung, then run over by a souvenir truck until his attitude improves. :poke:

+++

C'mon, any judge who is good enough for finals is experienced enough to know better than to randomly move around the field when the corps show is over, seriously. The crowd is applauding who they think is their champion, why detract from that?

I don't like judges on the field anyway, but I don't blame any judge who IS there for doing his job. But the judges should be respectful of why the crowd is there, it's a drum corps show, not a judges' marching and maneuvering show. The best judges are the ones you don't notice.

Am I really expecting too much for a field judge to just stand still for a few seconds after the show is over?

Edited by wvu80

I never said that. I never said anything about him being fired! You're exaggerating!!!

I said he should shot, then hung, then run over by a souvenir truck. :poke:

+++

C'mon, any judge who is good enough for finals is experienced enough to know better than to move around the field when the corps show is over, seriously. The crowd is applauding who they think is their champion, why detract from that?

I've made it clear I don't like judges on the field anyway, but I don't blame any judge who IS there for doing his job. But the judges should be respectful of why the crowd is there, it's a drum corps show, not a judges' marching and maneuvering show. The best judges are the ones you don't notice.

Am I really expecting too much for a field judge to just stand still for a few seconds after the show is over?

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Like 3

My good God...we've lowered ourselves to discussing whether the particular length of pause of a public address announcer was too short, just right, or not as long as other pauses which he has employed over the span of a long and distinguished career. Glad to know that everything else in the world is traveling along so hunky-dory in their minor comparisons....

EDIT: And before anyone tells me first, I know, I know...if I don't like it, I don't have to read it....point taken....

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1