OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

I concur. Plus, Crown not taking Brass or Guard left little doubt what the final result would be. I believe many if not most of the Crown fans were resigned to the inevitable.

I was in the Crown block seats. Sure, we were disappointed but we still applauded for the winner.

Coming from what I've read from you over the past couple of years, Dad...I would expect no less. Good man.

• Like 2

Maybe it's just me but I've never found myself distracted by a field judge, sitting in the stadium live or watching on Fan Network

Well, let me tell you...there was this one field judge I once observed...5'3"...lithe...blonde...obviously of Swedish heritage...strangely, a female field judge on the particular circuit. Anyway, I digress.... :colgate::colgate::colgate:

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

I said he should shot, then hung, then run over by a souvenir truck until his attitude improves. :poke:

Well you've have to try extreme measures I guess. We know tossing axes at him doesn't work.

• Like 2

Coming from what I've read from you over the past couple of years, Dad...I would expect no less. Good man.

In the end, it's always about "the kids". (I can call them that -- I'm old.). Thank you for the very kind words.

• Like 1

In the end, it's always about "the kids". (I can call them that -- I'm old.). Thank you for the very kind words.

Don't thank me...you've earned them, Sir.

• Like 1

Loved Finals last night.

But I have a concern about what DCI shows are becoming. I don't like the pseudo "spirituality" and incomprehensible meaning in many of these shows. It seems as though we are valuing "nothingness" and afraid of anything with meaning (because we're afraid of offending someone). Vague, valueless, and relativistic are what these shows are becoming.

For Example: a show about horses (not a story about a horse or a metaphor of individualism, freedom, etc., just about "horses" in general); a show about numbers (not the values behind numbers, but just numbers themselves...what the heck does that mean?); a show about "Ink" and the written word (but one that was incomprehensible and so busy with random nothingness and irrelevant hip hop, I had no idea what they were trying to communicate)...

Are show designers trying to outsmart everyone by coming up with these strange shows? There aren't even metaphors in these shows...it's just nothingness. It's up to "the interpreter" to decide. Well, that leaves the audience more confused and less uplifted. Some of the only corps that buck this trend are Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, The Academy, and a few others. I'm not saying it can't be abstract, but even abstract breaks down something that has value. It's like Jazz music, even though spontaneous, still follows distinct and recognizable patterns.

• Like 2

Crown's horns didn't seem as clean tonight,

seemed a bit anxious, imo

I agree. My wife and I were 400 level, just inside the 35, and Crown seemed just a bit off, especially in the beginning. Crown seemed to feed off the crowd's energy as the show went on.

Loved Finals last night.

But I have a concern about what DCI shows are becoming. I don't like the pseudo "spirituality" and incomprehensible meaning in many of these shows. It seems as though we are valuing "nothingness" and afraid of anything with meaning (because we're afraid of offending someone). Vague, valueless, and relativistic are what these shows are becoming.

For Example: a show about horses (not a story about a horse or a metaphor of individualism, freedom, etc., just about "horses" in general); a show about numbers (not the values behind numbers, but just numbers themselves...what the heck does that mean?); a show about "Ink" and the written word (but one that was incomprehensible and so busy with random nothingness and irrelevant hip hop, I had no idea what they were trying to communicate)...

Are show designers trying to outsmart everyone by coming up with these strange shows? There aren't even metaphors in these shows...it's just nothingness. It's up to "the interpreter" to decide. Well, that leaves the audience more confused and less uplifted. Some of the only corps that buck this trend are Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, The Academy, and a few others. I'm not saying it can't be abstract, but even abstract breaks down something that has value. It's like Jazz music, even though spontaneous, still follows distinct and recognizable patterns.

Diversity.

wvu80, on 09 Aug 2015 - 8:46 PM, said:snapback.png

I said he should shot, then hung, then run over by a souvenir truck until his attitude improves. :poke:

Well you've have to try extreme measures I guess. We know tossing axes at him doesn't work.

Is it just me, or do any of you also get shivers whenever you read a sentence which contains the words he and hung in close proximity??

• Like 2

wvu80, on 09 Aug 2015 - 8:46 PM, said:snapback.png

Is it just me, or do any of you also get shivers whenever you read a sentence which contains the words he and hung in close proximity??

He hung his silver medal D: