OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

I was really really pleased with the audio from this year. Video had a few hiccups but not as bad as before. I am hoping for at least a 12 hour window to watch shows next year so those who work odd hours can enjoy as well.

• Like 1

I wonder if you can identify just one moment where a judge on the field ruined a visual moment, please? (Of course, the answer is subjective.)

The irony is that, BITD, when there was less stuff on the field the judges actually stood out more. Today, not so much, but I'm curious if you can identify a moment when the visual was ruined for you.

A reasonable request, politely asked for.

Look at Carolina Crown, the final set, just after the last note of the show, the last note of the season was played. The corps is standing there, not moving, and they are accepting the wild applause of the crowd. The percussion judge chooses this moment to walk from the 50 yard line across the field inside the middle of the formation.

+++

And I'll give you a counter offer, if you please (and I just realized, there may not be a replay available to view right now). Could you offer an opinion, even ONE reason why the judge wouldn't simply stand still, until the corps started to move to leave the field?

Edited by wvu80

A reasonable request, politely asked for.

Look at Carolina Crown, the final set, just after the last note of the show, the last note of the season was played. The corps is standing there, not moving, and they are accepting the wild applause of the crowd. The percussion judge chooses this moment to walk from the 50 yard line across the field inside the middle of the formation.

+++

And I'll give you a counter offer, if you please (and I just realized, there may not be a replay available to view right now). Could you offer an opinion, even ONE reason why the judge wouldn't simply stand still, until the corps started to move to leave the field?

Would you rather an inaccurate percussion score be posted?

• Like 4

I really dont like how Czpainski scores. DCI should review her

I know she has a load of experience, but of all the judges who judged finals, she had judged the least amount of shows and there were corps she hadn't seen at all. It's odd.

• Like 1

I prefer Acoustic Research. I also pair my AR4x with some JBL 20-T speakers through a Sherwood receiver. However I added a set of Cambridge Soundworks sub Sats as my "center channel". I really don't get into the surround sound idea. you have two ears. Stereo is fine. the only problem was my speakers were too far from the computer and I wanted something right where the sound came from. It did give a nice ambient effect.

I am also an "old school" stereo kind of guy. Your Sherwood and all the other equipment you mention sounds great as well. I like the horn driven sound (Klipsch, JBL) because you can play LOUD with no distortion. When you push tweeter driven speakers, you get a compression of the sound at higher SPL's, and as you know, drum corps sounds best when played LOUD!

The Blu-ray disc (officially called "BD" :winky: ) has phenomenal sound, the best you can get. It's actually better and more clear than sitting in the stands, because you can hear the articulations and nuances of virtually every horn section and every percussion note. You can even hear when the marimba players change from hard rubber mallets to plastic mallets to yarn mallets, it's that clear.

Anyway, the BD comes to us in 5.1 surround sound, so what am I supposed to do? I can't stay stuck with 20th century listening devices forever! :music:

Edited by wvu80

Oh my gosh, that's hilarious! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Before any of our fans born in the 2000's get freaked out by this, you should know, this is nothing new; crazies have always been around, as long as there's been drum corps.

I remember in the late '70's - early 80's there was a now defunct corps called "The Bridgemen." They had their funny moments and a couple of years where they were really good, but they were a fairly average drum top 12 caliber corps. The Bridgemen featured out of tune G Bugles who overblew most of the time, a really good drum line, and some very fine looking ladies in the color guard. :wub:

Some idiots (read, Bridgemen alumni) decided that "entertainment" was more important than "winning" so they took out ads in the bi-monthly newpaper "Drum Corps World" asking for money, because they were going to screw the DCI judges, and decide for themselves what was "entertaining" and come up with their own awards! I think this movement (and you know what kind of "movement", ahem) lasted about a month, and then it disappeared. :laugh:

Oh please that NEVER happened. Hee hee

I know she has a load of experience, but of all the judges who judged finals, she had judged the least amount of shows and there were corps she hadn't seen at all. It's odd.

I feel some of the panel judged the season and not the show.