OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

Not like anyone turns and marches off the field anymore. Turn, grab everything, and walk off.

I know what you mean.

And you sound like you're just old enough to remember when it was standard operating procedure for a corps to leave opposite the exit, turn, then pass the 50 yard line along the fence so the corps could troupe the stands and pass by the crowd for one last applause. The crowd would applaud the flag as it passed by, then the corps, then the drum line as they played their cadence, then one last time as the drum majors, usually at the end of the procession, saluted the crowd.

But now, how look at how many train wrecks occur when one pit is coming in, the other is leaving resulting in a head-on collision? Unreal! I've never understood why one pit can't enter from the east while the other corps leaves going to the west, like one-way traffic.

It may sound like I'm waxing poetic for the old days, but I'm not. Those old dramatic exits took 10 minutes! I much prefer the quicker enter/exits they do today.

How on earth did that Cavaliers horn line get 10th place? And fromthe same judge who gave them a horrendous brass score at Allentown...

How on earth did that Cavaliers horn line get 10th place? And fromthe same judge who gave them a horrendous brass score at Allentown...

Why not? Because they've won 7 times, or you had a better vantage point than the judge? Seems to me that you answered your own question: he didn't like what he heard in A-town; he still didn't like it in Indy.

Why not? Because they've won 7 times, or you had a better vantage point than the judge? Seems to me that you answered your own question: he didn't like what he heard in A-town; he still didn't like it in Indy.

They played a very challenging brass book in a very environmentally and physically challenging show, and played it extremely well. Is that worth nothing?

In fact, several folks here HAVE said as much about black pants = loss.

Also, I follow GH's posts pretty well, and watched most of his pre-season webinars, etc. -- and I do NOT remember Hop saying that the black was ordered for Cadets 2 and they decided to work them into the long-planned Cadets mid-late-season color change.

Hop didn't say that. A staff member on one of the Cadets camp reports said that.

That doesn't make much sense to me, especially as there are more Cadets than Cadets 2 members.

So, maybe I am gullible and stupid and all the other adjectives you used? Would you say?

No, I would NOT say. I would say I really don't think you read ANYTHING I wrote!

I did NOT say you were gullible or stupid. I said the CADET'S STAFF MEMBERS that put forth the ridiculous idea that black unis for needed to extend the theme of TEN, since everybody knows neon is the 10th element. I said the CADETS' STAFF must think fans are gullible and stupid to buy that idea, as the justification for buying all-black uniforms.

If I start writing in pretty colors, would it help people to be more interested in reading what I write? :laugh: :wall: :drool:

"The only appropriate time...?" Horse hockey.

That's a ridiculous assertion that a single judge who has been running in, around and through corps formations for 10 minutes could possibly "interfere" with a corps marching single or double file off the field at an 8 to 5 clip to the degree a penalty would occur.

If 150 corps members saw a judge standing in their way as they were leaving the field, they would aim for him, and then run his butt over faster than a Cadets push at the end of a championship show, and have the crowd wildly cheering them on as they did it!

No my friend, the "judge holding up the corps' exit" argument is a long shot, and specious, at best. :lol:

To me, it seems that getting out of the way of the corps is more important than standing still for the small number of fans (maybe only one) whose applause moment would be disrupted. If this bothered most people, that would be different.

Meanwhile, far more fans (and marchers) have complained about the distraction of field judges running around DURING the show, yet DCI deems it worth the distraction to obtain the best possible evaluations.

• Like 1

But now, how look at how many train wrecks occur when one pit is coming in, the other is leaving resulting in a head-on collision? Unreal! I've never understood why one pit can't enter from the east while the other corps leaves going to the west, like one-way traffic.

That may be because many fields only have one gate/tunnel suitable for equipment entry/exit.

I know I have seen the one-way traffic solution applied at venues with access at both ends of the field.

• Like 1

Great question. Unlike "us," most attendants (I'm told by an insider) see one show a year (e.g. "I live in Akron. This June show looks interesting. Let's go.") They WON'T get what's going on. At the Dublin, OH show, I had no idea what BD was doing (other than all the Ink jibber jabber here), but I watched the feet, the drill and that GUARD (emphasis is God's). And I listened to the horns. I got my $$ worth. If the little girl theme was so important, why wait until Indy? Anyway, the crowd loved the Troopers' "horses" escaping at the end (btw, they ran to the left....in Indy to the right). There was no metaphor, no philosophy. WILD horses aren't corralled. No fuss, no muss. Even Crown's Ode to Joy was hellish. We heard it throughout the show. Once it went major-key, we knew that was the escape from hell.

Regarding the question I have emphasized, I'd guess it was logistical: probably BD provided transportation and housing both for Clara and her parents.

And I'm glad you mentioned the horses going the "wrong" way in Dublin. The next night in Erie, they were heading right again. I wonder if Dublin was the only night they tried the left option.

I've only ever seen the live broadcast of 89, which had the frak. Presumably they used that for the legacy DVD. The 89 CD's have the (clean) semis version edited in, which I also prefer listening to.

The 2011 PR video has a snippet of semis edited in at the very end where the guard member prepares to stab herself (at finals, she ... um .. chose to do something different)

OK please help me out. I was at indy that year and had good seats for semis and saw the ending in the DVD recording. My finals seats were not good (upper deck and on the 30 ish. Didn't notice anything different, in my defense I was cheering wildly. Didn't have fan network at the time and wasn't on dcp. What did she do differently at finals?

No, I would NOT say. I would say I really don't think you read ANYTHING I wrote!

I did NOT say you were gullible or stupid. I said the CADET'S STAFF MEMBERS that put forth the ridiculous idea that black unis for needed to extend the theme of TEN, since everybody knows neon is the 10th element. I said the CADETS' STAFF must think fans are gullible and stupid to buy that idea, as the justification for buying all-black uniforms.

If I start writing in pretty colors, would it help people to be more interested in reading what I write? :laugh: :wall: :drool:

lol. Well the thing is, I did read it. I am a fan and I "bought that idea", so sounds like I'm gullible and stupid. Somehow, as much as I pay attention, apparently I missed whatever it is you say you heard.

• Like 1