OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

The only sub-caption mark that I see that supports that contention might be the 99 - 99 that Cadets got in brass. How can a judge give a 99 - 99 as a final score when there were three corps still to perform? In fairness to the judge, I can see why someone would get painted into such a corner when the excellence leading up to Cadets' performance dictated that only a 99 would compare Cadets to the brass lines preceding them. But, where is there room for three higher-ranked corps to score? The judge left room only for a 3-way tie at 100 or a 4 way tie at 99 or maybe a combination of each.

DCI allows judges to tweak numbers after certain blocks of corps.

• Like 1

There was none. It was more like mature respect and quiet, utter disbelief.

I concur. Plus, Crown not taking Brass or Guard left little doubt what the final result would be. I believe many if not most of the Crown fans were resigned to the inevitable.

I was in the Crown block seats. Sure, we were disappointed but we still applauded for the winner.

• Like 2

I didn't hear any booing where I was sitting, but I'm sure some people did boo. A lot of ahh's, but cheering for both corps.

Indeed, after what sounded more like a brief stunned silence, there was a standing O in recognition of Crown....... even the crowd disappointment was exceptionally professional last night. the only combination of letters that sounded like booing was the usual BLOO........ Last night was too good for anyone to boo and be serious....... that was a real drum corps crowd !!!!!

DCI allows judges to tweak numbers after certain blocks of corps.

So that Cadet 99 - 99 might have been written (adjusted) AFTER hearing Crown? That certainly justifies the 99 - 99 and shoots down my theory that both Blue Devils and Crown would have scored higher if they appeared in reverse order. Thanks for the clarification......

So that Cadet 99 - 99 might have been written (adjusted) AFTER hearing Crown? That certainly justifies the 99 - 99 and shoots down my theory that both Blue Devils and Crown would have scored higher if they appeared in reverse order. Thanks for the clarification......

I'm not sure if DCI is fully on board with the "Equal Advantage" scoring system (DCA uses it), but I do know they were allowed to tweak numbers this year. I also don't know if this is the first year for this, or if they've done it in recent years. I wish I'd asked.

Beinbe e name="Tad_MMA" post="3492436" timestamp="1439141727"]

No. He gave NO pause. He ran it together like syllables of a word. If I knew how to edit that from the official DCI YT video, I would. And it isn't how he says things; it's in the context. The 1992 CAVALIERRRRRSSSS was screamy and emotional. Bias.

(By the way, I study and report journalistic bias for a living. I felt at home with my OP.)

I just don't agree with this.

The 1992 Cavaliers was an incredibly emotional night, and he had to shout to be heard over the roar of the crowd.

I am also sure that aFter two straight second place finishes for the Cavaliers, and being around the activity as long as he had, he got a little caught up in the moment.

Listening to how he introduced the Devils he gave the same kind of hype as he did the other corps.

No, not the final statement, AFTER the final statement.

The last note has already been played, the show is over, and all the corps members are standing there at attention.

Except for the judge who is NOT actively adjudicating, but is walking through the center of the formation to leave the field.

You do know that judges actually have sheets to fill out and finish everything up before the next corps right? Not to mention, they'll just be in the way when the corps starts getting off the field. Believe me, those performers could care less about that judge in that moment. Don't even know why this is an issue...

• Like 1

Of the few I looked up, Cadets took 9th in field percussion while winning in 1984. Next worst I saw was the 8th ranking SCV incurred in bugle execution in 1973.

If you consider the above "subcaptions", then 7th is probably the lowest caption finish for a DCI champion. Kingsmen were 7th in M&M in 1972 finals, as were Cadets in percussion in 1984.

(Source: fromthepressbox.com)

Yeah, Garfield was 0.9 behind BD in drums (back then, Field + Ensemble = 20...thru two judges). But Garfield was 0.9 ahead in GE (of course). They tied in Brass, and Garfield had a 0.1 edge in Visual. 97.9 - 98.0

Everyone was on their A-game last night. Kudos to ALL marching members for a job really well done!!! I found Cadets and Crown absolutely captivating! Congrats to BD for pulling #17...l'm not sure I agree with the final decision, but hey, it was obviously in the judges hands......

Edited by Sutasaurus