OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

I have a serious question - (or a couple) related to this. I was a band director for 14 years. I remember a lot of the discussions and training meetings regarding copyright. Had several friends who did a lot of arranging and spoke with them regarding copyrights. Seemed (it's been a few years) that MOST composers/license holders were not too tough to deal with unless there was a profit being pursued in the arranging and performance, then the issues arise.

Drum Corps have been banging on the copyright doors for decades - it would seem advantageous to the copyright holders to allow use and not place a lot of restrictions on those arrangements and performances. But then you have the DCI machine - that does make money off of the events, recording, and now streaming. This opens the door even more to the copyright juggles.

How man of these Corps do NOT operate as a non-profit organization? So then it comes to DCI - is it their operations that cause the snafus in a bigger way with copyright holders?

I remember the recording of a couple years ago - and the removal of some poetry lines that were decided on the field - lines that were important to the show - and I was never able to track down any definitive dispute that would have forced this...

So - question being: where is the most common copyright issue these days? And is this more of a case of mirroring the NFL and their draconian rules regarding their "product"?

If people are being removed for videoing...

1 - it is said about a million times not to, so I don't feel bad for anyone.

2 - a result of the high-dollar and high-stakes copyright situation that all marching arts in this country are facing.

Holy ####, those were right. What a colossal screw up on someone's part.

There was also a brief time when the Bluecoats were performing, I saw final scores for SCV and BK that were the same as were announced at the end. CAN U SAY "MAJOR F### UP" by DCI

• Like 1

And I'll give you a counter offer, if you please (and I just realized, there may not be a replay available to view right now). Could you offer an opinion, even ONE reason why the judge wouldn't simply stand still, until the corps started to move to leave the field?

Would you rather an inaccurate percussion score be posted?

Are you suggesting that for a drum score to be accurate, the judge must exit the field immediately? That somehow, by magic, the score would become inaccurate while he is standing there for 30 seconds?

My answer to your question is, "yes" I would like the drum score to be accurate, and "yes" I would like the drum judge to stand still after the show is over until the corps starts to exit the field.

And "no" I don't believe those two acts are connected to one another.

How loud was the booing when Crown was announced in 2nd place?

I've seen a couple of youtube clips and there was a smattering. Just isolated individuals, which is what you would expect. Reaction was pretty civil considering how disappointed a lot of people were.

• Like 2

What's the lowest result in any caption that a champion-winning corps has had? Has a corps ever won a title with a fifth-place caption, or a caption that was 0.75 behind that caption's winner for the night?

Of the few I looked up, Cadets took 9th in field percussion while winning in 1984. Next worst I saw was the 8th ranking SCV incurred in bugle execution in 1973.

If you consider the above "subcaptions", then 7th is probably the lowest caption finish for a DCI champion. Kingsmen were 7th in M&M in 1972 finals, as were Cadets in percussion in 1984.

(Source: fromthepressbox.com)

• Like 1

After a six hour drive home, a six hour nap, and time doing things around the house. I'd like to give a few impressions. I first have to say that we were two minutes late for Crossmen--I really wanted to see their show :(

(respectful Snip!, just wanted to reference the post)

Crown, this may be unpopular for me to say, but you had it all last night. Not much I can say. Champion show. Great job!

Blue Devils. Great design, truly. Great horns, drums, and guard, truly. Show was wonderful. Why you wait until encore to put that much energy into your performance? I didn't really enjoy the Finals run--it lacked energy to me and was a second place performance to me. Good, but second to Crown. After the encore, my thoughts turned to "Now THAT is the BD I remember!"

You had a "six hour nap?" You are my kind of people!

+++

Nice review, I always want to know what the crowd reaction is from the live stage. That's hard to encapsulate an entire top 12 with such brevity. :cool:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

And I'll give you a counter offer, if you please (and I just realized, there may not be a replay available to view right now). Could you offer an opinion, even ONE reason why the judge wouldn't simply stand still, until the corps started to move to leave the field?

Are you suggesting that for a drum score to be accurate, the judge must exit the field immediately? That somehow, by magic, the score would become inaccurate while he is standing there for 30 seconds?

My answer to your question is, "yes" I would like the drum score to be accurate, and "yes" I would like the drum judge to stand still after the show is over until the corps starts to exit the field.

And "no" I don't believe those two acts are connected to one another.

Were you not referring to the final statement of the show? The drum judge needs to get near the percussion at the end (prior to the show being over)

• Like 1

I have a serious question - (or a couple) related to this. ...

So - question being: where is the most common copyright issue these days? And is this more of a case of mirroring the NFL and their draconian rules regarding their "product"?

I am not even close to being able to intelligently give the correct complicated answer that simple question. I do know some of the issues I've seen discussed before, include different copyright requirements and fees for:

• Non-profits
  • Live performances
  • Live performances of broadcast media (maybe this is why replays aren't allowed this year)
  • Mechanical reproduction of performances (replay of audio)
  • Mechanical reproduction of performances (replay of audio that is synced to video)
  • The various fees being charged by the different copyright holders. It seems to me that on a compilation of music that is sold for profit, all of the copyright holders are entitled to the highest fee charged by the highest paid copyright holder of any individual song.

It's all about money, and its a huge mess. If they're not in compliance, DCI could potentially be liable for huge damages, and bankruptcy could be the result if they are on the wrong side of this. Even if they were correct, an expensive court battle could ruin them.

Edited by wvu80

Were you not referring to the final statement of the show? The drum judge needs to get near the percussion at the end (prior to the show being over)

No, not the final statement, AFTER the final statement.

The last note has already been played, the show is over, and all the corps members are standing there at attention.

Except for the judge who is NOT actively adjudicating, but is walking through the center of the formation to leave the field.