Boston Crusaders 2016

The music rights controversy strikes again...BFDTV was asked by Boston's corps director to not to record Boston's 2nd piece tonight at the concert in the park performance...

Was the "second" piece part of this years show or some other number? If it was only one song it might not be from the show since there are a few MOL songs in the show.

Was the "second" piece part of this years show or some other number? If it was only one song it might not be from the show since there are a few MOL songs in the show.

I'm gonna guess it's the piece by Albeniz? Maybe. I just don't see the Elfman or any of the three MOLM pieces getting cut. Edited by Cadevilina Crown

No...but if you look at the previous years the video usually goes up the day after the performance.....look at capture versus published date on the prior videos...

I'm gonna guess it's the piece by Albeniz? Maybe. I just don't see the Elfman or any of the three MOLM pieces getting cut.

To give more information...I will paraphrase the actual conversation the best as I heard it on periscope...a man introduced himself as Jeff Pearson to the BFDTV staff....he acknowledged knowing that BFDTV put up their recordings on YouTube and specifically requested that they do not record the "2nd tune"...there was some further conversation back and forth about that specifically...he further stated if they do post it..he knows for a fact that they will be given an notice to take it down...Jeff further aknowledged that he was not saying BFDTV had permission to do all of this....Boston was denied the synch license supposedly today according to the conversation that ensued about a family dispute if I heard correctly...for Man of La Mancha...

To give more information...I will paraphrase the actual conversation the best as I heard it on periscope...a man introduced himself as Jeff Pearson to the BFDTV staff....he acknowledged knowing that BFDTV put up their recordings on YouTube and specifically requested that they do not record the "2nd tune"...there was some further conversation back and forth about that specifically...he further stated if they do post it..he knows for a fact that they will be given an notice to take it down...Jeff further aknowledged that he was not saying BFDTV had permission to do all of this....Boston was denied the synch license supposedly today according to the conversation that ensued about a family dispute if I heard correctly...for Man of La Mancha...

That's a good paraphrase of what I heard. AFAIK, BFDTV didn't periscope the actual performance.

I'm gonna guess it's the piece by Albeniz? Maybe. I just don't see the Elfman or any of the three MOLM pieces getting cut.

Probably Shipping up to Boston.

I attended the Boston Crusaders " Concert in the Park " exhibition earlier today in the Financial District of Boston, and had a great time. Boston is doing a phenomenal job with the Inspire Group. They teach the young children of Hyde Park ( in the City of Boston ) the fundamentals of percussion and brass playing. They played some music themselves, then joined an ensemble group from Boston Crusaders , where the two combined to play some music. To see the look on the young kids faces, and their proud parents taking pictures as these children played with the older Marchers of the Boston Crusaders was positively priceless. It really was heart warming, and the hit of the evening for me... especially when we see and hear all the terrible things happening in the world around us, at the moment. It sort of reminds us that when we strip away the scores and the placements of Drum Corps, and what instruments are being or not being utilized, etc the essence of what has made this activity so wonderful still remains fully intact. Boston is to be congratulated for their outreach like this. Its the right thing to do, and it makes the Inspire Organization, as well as the children recipients, all the better for it.

As for BAC, they look to me to be in fine and strong overall shape. The music playing is orchestral in its playing. The music will be recognizable to most ( selections from "Man from LaMancha"), and updated in a creative and modern fashion with its arranging to fit a modern DCI Field show. The Corps for 2016 will feature brass solos, and brass ensemble section playing at intervals throughout the show. All played their solos, ensembles flawlessly tonite. I am not a drummer, but I do think I know a pretty good percussion section, and Boston seems to my eyes and ears anyway to have a good one for this year here as well. Boston will apparently not feature singing, narration, trombones, french horns in their show this year if this exhibition is any indicaton. But it does appear that Boston will explore some creative sound usage to blend with the brass and percussion playing in a few spots in their show for this summer. Boston did have a brief sound glitch from their speakers in the first few seconds of the opening of their exhibition earlier tonite, but things went smoothly with it after that. There really is not much one can gather definitively from a standstill. There was no Guard, no Visual here tonite.. of course. All I can say is that the Corps appears strong to me at the moment. How strong, is anybody's guess off a standstill performance to be honest about it. I intend to go to BAC's fundraiser Sat. Nite, where the Corps will put their entire show on the Field in exhibition for its alums and donors. That should give us a better read. Boston did play " Giant " ( and "Shippin' Up to Boston" )as their encore. " Giant " has been rewritten in arrangement, and longer in length, and with a nice key change near the end. I can legitimately compare this version and its brass playing with earlier versions, and can say that in my opinion, this version sounds better to me. Anyway, thats a short review of a standstill exhibition from the Crusaders from earlier tonite. Finally, it was the biggest crowd that Boston has had for this event. The weather was perfect for it too. The concert is in a " green space " park created a few years ago with grass, trees and such in the heart of the Financial District in downtown Boston. Gorgeous setting. Boston's Mayor Marty Walsh was in attendance last year, and reportedly raved to his people about what the Crusaders created with this event.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

Probably Shipping up to Boston.

NO...MOLM