Boston Crusaders 2016

It is my understanding that the opener is missing. I heard a very early season recording which had the opener and it is clearly not in this recording. If you watch the video very carefully you will see the "cut" @0:15 ...just watch the drum major in background...the opener clearly highlighted "the impossible dream"...

BRASSO was there last night..perhaps he can confirm the missing part as well...

Yes... It was the opener that is missing from this video.

I was at the concert yesterday and agree with Brasso. Sound and blend of the brass was excellent, and

Battery seemed quite clean. I attended last two years, and this year's brass, I believe, is the best of those three years, and by a good margin.

There appears to me to be a little more demand in the brass and percussion arrangements too this season, imo. Initial reaction is that it appears Boston has the talent to handle it this season. But who really knows. We'll all know soon enough.

Well, this show is certainly living up to BAC's namesake. Very intense throughout!

I am personally of the type who tends not to enjoy Spanish/Latin themed music as much so I'm not sure how I feel about the arrangements yet but Cesario wasn't kidding when he said that these guys have improved! Their sound is really great and the battle for spots 7-15 is going to be really crazy this year!

Well, this show is certainly living up to BAC's namesake. Very intense throughout!

I am personally of the type who tends not to enjoy Spanish/Latin themed music as much so I'm not sure how I feel about the arrangements yet but Cesario wasn't kidding when he said that these guys have improved! Their sound is really great and the battle for spots 7-15 is going to be really crazy this year!

Hmm, a name like Cappybara is Spanish/Latin, si? Confliction is such a heavy cross to bear.

So flashback to last year for me. I ended up really enjoying the show musically come August. But in this Concert in the Park video I was really underwhelmed and incredibly worried about the brass. Was pretty disappointed if I'm being honest.

What a freakin 360 this year is. I LOVE IT! :thumbs-up:

There are definitely some moments where I can tell "something is going on visually here". But what an incredibly fun and demanding music book they have.

Brass sounds night and day from the video of them last year IMO. So much fuller, in your face, exciting, and clean. Bravo.

Front ensemble is great, lots of cool instrumentation and great writing, like their use of the metals especially. Before the cut at the beginning there is some very intriguing sounding stuff that I'm excited to hear.

Drum writing is great, they don't sound QUITE as solid as they did last year IMO, but I definitely feel like they will tighten up.

So the show. Music that'll get stuck in my head because of beautiful melodies? Check. Great arrangements and orchestrations of those melodies? Check. Achievability/difficulty balance? Check. Tons of energy? Check. There are times where a corps will announce they are playing something and either:

A) They play about 10 seconds of it.

B) You cannot even find the #### piece in their #### show.

Heard Asturias, Dulcinea, the Iris selection, and definitely The Impossible Dream.

I'm all over the second half of this after the little ballad in the middle. I cannot wait to see the opening. Can tell there is TONS of small ensemble work in this show, and they sound great. Some very quirky ethereal parts to this show in the front half that definitely make sense thematically. That Impossible Dream closer gave me my first goosebumps of 2016, or at least that I can remember. Just take all my babies already. :babies:

So in short, love the music, love the arranging, foaming at the mouth to hear more. Boston is delivering so far for me, and the closer a little more than I expected.

They are the 2nd corps I've seen stuff from out of last years 7 - 12 (second one is Blue Stars) that are definitely a lot better than last year at this point. Gonna be a battle royale for sure.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Definitely NOT your father's '73 Muchachos "Impossible Dream." All I can say is that somebody on that arranging staff has quite the vivid imagination. And I thought I went crazy over the AF "Polyushko-Polye" treatment...love it, love it, love it!!! Can't wait until the horn line reaches that mid-season "chops of steel" stage...gonna' be a real ba...uh...nut buster.

Hey Ghost baby....diggin' it? :smile:

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 3

What a freakin 360 this year is. I LOVE IT! :thumbs-up:

The pilot in me wants to say a complete 180...a 180 is a fall-back maneuver for pilots that fly by visual flight rules (VFR) to get out of a bad weather situation that you may have flown into....Does not a 360 put you back where you started?...then again 180 could mean going backwards and not forwards....haha

Personally...I'm really liking these very ambitious arrangements...

• Like 1

The pilot in me wants to say a complete 180...a 180 is a fall-back maneuver for pilots that fly by visual flight rules (VFR) to get out of a bad weather situation that you may have flown into....Does not a 360 put you back where you started?...then again 180 could mean going backwards and not forwards....haha

Personally...I'm really liking these very ambitious arrangements...

My inner car racing gamer nerd is also agreeing with your inner pilot now that you say that.

But I agree. I'm back on the Boston fan bus after a (most of the) year off.

I'm a little curious as well about which portion was actually clipped, and whether it really ties into parts of the the musical, because I heard The Man of La Mancha (beginning @1:03), Dulcinea (beginning @5:12) and To Dream the Impossible Dream (beginning @7:49) in the video.

The beginning has a powerful effect and will be enjoyed by all. I would think everything at the beginning should be ok going forward (IMO).