Carolina Crown 2016

Anyone know where they practice tomorrow? I've looked on their website for way too long- don't know why it's so difficult to find their housing

Check out their calendar on their site. Should be easy to find. It'll have all that information.

Ok I got it. Alvin Texas. Thanks

• Like 1

I actually like DrumManTX's 2 word review: HOLY CRAP!

That about says it all!

Agreed. This show is really starting to take form. I love it more with each performance. I think it relates to when I was in high school we did a Western show in 07. We also did a Kentucky Derby show in 06 before Crown did Triple Crown in 07. I think that's why I have such a deep connection with them. That, and they're just so #### incredible. Lol.

Either I completely forgot how good that hornline was or they got even better since I saw them in 2013. I'm gonna have so much fun on this review. lol

I honestly think they might be even better than 2013. The power in that hornline this year.....there are no words to describe it. Hearing them live this year twice in the first week of the season was an unforgettable experience, I can't imagine what it's going to be like when they come back to Massillon the week of finals. I can't wait!

• Like 1

I honestly think they might be even better than 2013. The power in that hornline this year.....there are no words to describe it. Hearing them live this year twice in the first week of the season was an unforgettable experience, I can't imagine what it's going to be like when they come back to Massillon the week of finals. I can't wait!

I wouldn't say better. It's a different kind of show. A LOT less runs. More powerful? Yes. Better? It's like comparing apples to oranges with the music books. Hard to compare this one to 2013...

Edited by UKSuperman

From another topic:

It gets clearer and clearer each year that after switching away from G, Carolina Crown is the only corps to keep the type of sound drum corps were intended to produce--that homogenous, pipe-organ-like aura that you can practically *see*. A uniform "burn" in the upper voices blended with a bottom end like a punch in the chest. Only other corps that can come close these days is Bluecoats. Blue Devils play loud at points, but it just doesn't sound like a loud drum corps sound. It's just there.

From another topic:

It gets clearer and clearer each year that after switching away from G, Carolina Crown is the only corps to keep the type of sound drum corps were intended to produce--that homogenous, pipe-organ-like aura that you can practically *see*. A uniform "burn" in the upper voices blended with a bottom end like a punch in the chest. Only other corps that can come close these days is Bluecoats. Blue Devils play loud at points, but it just doesn't sound like a loud drum corps sound. It's just there.

From the same topic :smile:

I disagree. If you're just talking volume, yeah Carolina may be the loudest corps out there. Some however feel Cadets are the loudest this year, and I'm sure BD and Blooo are pretty loud too.

If your argument is type of sound, like the more bottom-up pipe organ type that you suggested, well that is a different argument. Bottom up, triangle system methods are what HS and colleges teach kids as a principle of balance and blend to get them started. But in the professional world of balance and blend it goes WAY beyond that. Concert Bands, Orchestras, Jazz Ensembles, Chamber Groups, Rock Groups, Pop Groups, and on and on all have the ability to flex and adapt to multiple styles, blends, and alterations in sound and phrase shaping. The Blue Devils achieve a unique sound in drum corps that really good jazz artists will tell you is appropriate and well done. The Cadets employ a outdoor Olympic-like fanfare sound where the trumpets and mellos are usually more dominant (although last year they had killer baritones). But the Cadets sound will fluctuate depending on who has melody. Same with Crown. They are more that bottom-up organ sound which has typically gone better with their music (same with Phantom Regiment).

For most of these corps balances are fluctuating. They explore different sounds, colors, balances, and phrase shaping that moves and has the ability to, at times, bring out multiple blends in one phrase. The last thing I want to hear is 12 corps that all have the same sound and blend, or even volume.

Edited by Cappybara