Hardest show ever - Cadets 2015?

Fast isn't always the hardest. Not by any stretch.

Fast is the new loud. :cool:

+++

BTW, nice job on the research on which director has the most championships. Dave Gibbs's seventeen is some serious gravitas!

Fast is the new loud. :cool:

+++

BTW, nice job on the research on which director has the most championships. Dave Gibbs's seventeen is some serious gravitas!

I don't think it gets much 'harder' than executing fast drill at the end of a physical show while articulating (brass and percussion) cleanly and achieving top shelf tone quality, balance, intonation and appropriate volume projection. In that regard, Cadets came pretty close to delivering a master class on the subject; and that's not to minimize the challenge of what BD, Bloo and Crown brought to the table.

• Like 4

Doesn't matter. At least one crown fan must be insulted every 30 minutes so anyone who dares compliment them will do in a pinch.

Hmmm. I must have missed all these regular Crown fan insults. Every thirty minutes? Was just joking around. I don't think Cadets program was the hardest ever, and I always find it amusing when folks name shows from the past couple years for any of these all-time type lists.

A little historical context and time helps.

Cadets had tough horn and drum books, very, with a serious drill demand. UT I think back to other years with more drill demand etc and it gets tough to compare.

..?

I'm more of a Cadets, SCV, and Bluecoats fan more than anything, but ok.

To some people saying that crown puts out difficult shows means that you are a crown honk and are thus unreasonable.

• Like 1

I don't think it gets much 'harder' than executing fast drill at the end of a physical show while articulating (brass and percussion) cleanly and achieving top shelf tone quality, balance, intonation and appropriate volume projection. In that regard, Cadets came pretty close to delivering a master class on the subject; and that's not to minimize the challenge of what BD, Bloo and Crown brought to the table.

Thank you. If I hear one more time how difficult it is to play while lifting one leg!😤

Edited by Tobias

I think we debated that one time on the old BD discussion forums, but I can't remember what we included as championships and what we didn't. That's because he had some championships as a BD drum major as well.

So is this number 11 for him as a director? That would certainly put in at #1 all-time.

No disrespect to Mr. Hopkins at all. `he is a passionate man and cares about his drum corps. In addition to the 11th championship for Mr. Gibbs he has done this since 1991 when he became director. It was funny that you mentioned it because not an hour before that I had realized this was #11 for him.

• Like 1

To some people saying that crown puts out difficult shows means that you are a crown honk and are thus unreasonable.

Crown puts out difficult shows. Especially from an ensemble standpoint in those years they have used massive field coverage - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014 -- very tough to keep things lined up as spread out as they have been at times.

• Like 2

Cadets move around from year to year as far as show type. People complained about towers in 2013, narration in 2014 and this season, it was total insane demand, raw intensity, no voice, no props and it was a throwback show. I think Cadets are more impressive ( to me) when they do a 2015 type show. Design wise, we all know there needs to be a beginning, development and a logical or emotional ending to be rewarded from an effect standpoint. Cadets know that and were beaten up in the effect categories because of it. They will come back next year with several guard features, a beginning, development and a logical or emotional ending. I'm sure brass, percussion and GUARD will be decent too.

• Like 1

Santa Clara 2000- Super exposed visually, technically demanding musically

Crown 2012 - probably the most demanding program ever attempted which challenged the members and set them up to win the next year

Cadets 2015 - incredibly fast musically with a visual program that even made the fans in sitting in the stands need to catch their breath.

All 3 shows were so filled with demand that none were able to achieve a level of clean that got them the title.

Edited by bluesman
  • Like 1