Hardest show ever - Cadets 2015?

Just forget I asked dude.

OK, I'll forget you "asked". :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

No, I'm making a semi-joke, but nobody seems to have a sense of humor on these forums. Anyone who ever played under Jim would "get" the joke. Of course, like most that jump on joke-ish comments like this, you take it to the nth degree on the response..."I'll take tone quality and dynamics *over* volume any day" was the referenced comment. Let's not stretch that to "never even consider". So let's ditch the self-righteous act and just realize a couple of things: I played under Jim Ott for 2 1/2 years. He was our middle horn instructor and arranger. He was a tremendous human being, a great brass man and liked LOUD. More than anyone I've ever seen. That's the "joke". Not sure why you even jumped in on this, as you admittedly didn't know the man. Just for reference, the old piston/rotor bugles didn't have much in the way of tone quality, but yeah, he did work dynamics. All that said, the most common word out of his mouth was "louder". He is missed.

That's good for him. That was during the time of G Bugles. I'm thankful we're on Bb horns now that prioritize tone quality.

• Like 1

That's good for him. That was during the time of G Bugles. I'm thankful we're on Bb horns now that prioritize tone quality.

Seriously, there wasn't a hell of a lot you could do with tone quality on the old Ultratones. I count myself fortunate to have marched not only with the tutelage of Jim (not to mention Wayne Downey, Jack Meehan, Frank Dorrittie and more), but also across the transition from the old piston/rotor horns to the far superior two valve G bugles (King, in our instance). Was a very interesting time to be a marching member.

Apparently you don't play brass. Granted you must work harder to control a G bugle because it can play with much larger dynamic ranges but tone quality tied to just the instrument...nah, nope.

Apparently you don't play brass. Granted you must work harder to control a G bugle because it can play with much larger dynamic ranges but tone quality tied to just the instrument...nah, nope.

I HATED playing on G-bugles but I did appreciate the sound they delivered. But you're absolutely right about how much harder one must work to control it. Somehow it just didn't feel natural to me. I am glad I got to experience both G-bugles and Bbs because I had a deeper appreciation for both (although I prefer Bbs).

Being a trumpet major that plays French horn as well I was used to playing different keyed instruments. They all have their quirks and sweet spots. G horns were just unique in their overtone series and have that truly unique sound especially live. Not sure if audio tapes ever captured it well. Personally I like the G soprano and contra sound better. I just wished everyone would truly do any key. C and D trumpets etc.

• Like 1

Oh as to the OP the hardest show without a doubt in my mind has to be the Cadet show that split the corps.

Oh as to the OP the hardest show without a doubt in my mind has to be the Cadet show that split the corps.

Angels and Demons. I can only imagine how it must have been the first time they rehearsed in those two different uniforms.

Yep couple that with two sides playing different stuff at the same time without phasing (see demand and exposure) just amazing.

• Like 1

Gino hornlines don't sound smooth and silky like Crown's or BD's. I'm fine with that. It is drum corps, not a symphony. I got into this activity primarily based on the hair erecting electric loudness of it all.

Good god Cadets 2007 was exhilarating. Not the smoothest sound, but extremely articulate, precise, and most of all excitingly loud. I was amazed at how fast that corps was moving without compromising any volume.

GOOSEBUMPS, one of the loudest hornlines that I've ever stood in front of.