Hardest show ever - Cadets 2015?

Being a trumpet major that plays French horn as well I was used to playing different keyed instruments. They all have their quirks and sweet spots. G horns were just unique in their overtone series and have that truly unique sound especially live. Not sure if audio tapes ever captured it well. Personally I like the G soprano and contra sound better. I just wished everyone would truly do any key. C and D trumpets etc.

The G horns were conical. A bit of a departure for the trumpet, trombone and bari players that came to drum corps. I hear a lot of talk about how "G horns had bad intonation" and such, but there was no reason, given R&D and a bit of work, why they couldn't have been as stable and refined as the Bb horn. They're still a much better choice for outdoor performances, but with DCI and their propensity for domed shows, it's less an issue than it could be. Still, it was a characteristic sound that I miss, but I won't pick up my toys and go home because they're on Bb models, like so many at least threaten to do. Some great brass playing out there, who cares the key?

• Like 3

The G horns were conical. A bit of a departure for the trumpet, trombone and bari players that came to drum corps. I hear a lot of talk about how "G horns had bad intonation" and such, but there was no reason, given R&D and a bit of work, why they couldn't have been as stable and refined as the Bb horn. They're still a much better choice for outdoor performances, but with DCI and their propensity for domed shows, it's less an issue than it could be. Still, it was a characteristic sound that I miss, but I won't pick up my toys and go home because they're on Bb models, like so many at least threaten to do. Some great brass playing out there, who cares the key?

I agree, but at least for me, using props was gradual, so too we're changes in what color guards do, especially if you watch the Legacy DVD's. The front ensemble also changed gradually, but for me, the change from G to B-flat was more immediate and jarring, and it took time to get used to it. i too did not pick up my toys or threaten to boycott, though between 2000-2010 there were some years I went to shows where I watched what some corps did, knew it was difficult, knew it was well performed, but wondered what I was watching. I know George Hopkins makes the comparison to an opera libretto and a show's explanation, I don't think that should be the case for a drum corps show.

• Like 2

I agree, but at least for me, using props was gradual, so too we're changes in what color guards do, especially if you watch the Legacy DVD's. The front ensemble also changed gradually, but for me, the change from G to B-flat was more immediate and jarring, and it took time to get used to it. i too did not pick up my toys or threaten to boycott, though between 2000-2010 there were some years I went to shows where I watched what some corps did, knew it was difficult, knew it was well performed, but wondered what I was watching. I know George Hopkins makes the comparison to an opera libretto and a show's explanation, I don't think that should be the case for a drum corps show.

YES!

This is especially important if one goal is to attract novice participants and curious locals. Good point.

BD 2013 is definitely there.

NO. I really like the music in The Re: rite of Spring. Not the most difficult. I played this in High School.

Edited by boxingfred

NO. I really like the music in The Re: rite of Spring. Not the most difficult. I played this in High School.

So you played the arrangements the Blue Devils did? Woah. That's some Dr. Who time traveling #### if I've ever seen it. Woah.

I don't particularly like that show (at all really), but if there's one thing about it I respect is that I think they took on an absolute animal of a program that year. I played New World Symphony in high school my freshman year. So that must mean that I marched the same show Phantom did in 89. Woah.

• Like 1

That doesn't mean that much to schools who consistently play grade 6 music.

• Like 1

The change in key was pretty gradual though. If I remember right, the addition of F horns came on before the switch away from G, and not all corps switched to Bb horns in 2000. The last World Class corps to do so was Pioneer, and they didn't change until 2007. I think Madison held on as well until 2004.