blue devils head count?

Thanks. It actually looked like two small drums plus a small cymbal, as I recall. "Roto tom", you say? What is the reason for including such an instrument in the battery?

Thanks. It actually looked like two small drums plus a small cymbal, as I recall. "Roto tom", you say? What is the reason for including such an instrument in the battery?

82-83 Bridgemen come to mind.

Cause it's a unique sound... and looks pretty cool. :)

Thanks. There was a large high school marching band I saw last fall who had the most unusual battery I've seen (in my admittedly limited experience). In addition to having instruments like these (although they were never close enough for a good look), they seemed to march a combined tenor/snare set-up. And their bass drums were played rather like tympani, with the head facing the player on a diagonal.

I actually built a set of snare/tenor hybrids for my mini corps. Could never find any other players comfortable enough with it so we had to go back to "conventional" battery.

As for the basses, every so often you'll see a band try it. In DCI, Blue Devils used them in the middle of their Awayday show in 2001. There's also a company now making canted basses for bands too.

Mike

I actually built a set of snare/tenor hybrids for my mini corps. Could never find any other players comfortable enough with it so we had to go back to "conventional" battery.

As for the basses, every so often you'll see a band try it. In DCI, Blue Devils used them in the middle of their Awayday show in 2001. There's also a company now making canted basses for bands too.

Mike

Got a picture of the hybrid?

i don't understand how anybody could like mustard

Because what am I supposed to put on hot dogs?

Thanks. There was a large high school marching band I saw last fall who had the most unusual battery I've seen (in my admittedly limited experience). In addition to having instruments like these (although they were never close enough for a good look), they seemed to march a combined tenor/snare set-up. And their bass drums were played rather like tympani, with the head facing the player on a diagonal.

In 1978 the Kilties started the season with a radical setup. The snare line used band style high stepper carriers and the bass drums were carried like Timpani. I dont remember the tenor setup. They switched the entire line to traditional carriers at mid season.

Anyone old enough to remember the cut-out snares PR used in the early 80's? Wow. What a sound!