Official 2016 Staff Changes

I don't know how no one has posted this yet.

BLUE KNIGHTS NAME JORDAN HELWERDA ASSISTANT DIRECTOR

DENVER, CO – Ascend Performing Arts is pleased to announce the first of several staff announcements coming this fall. To start off, Jordan Helwerda has been named Assistant Director of the Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps. Helwerda is the first Assistant Director for the Blue Knights since Casey Smith held the position in the early 1990’s.

“Jordan has been behind the scenes with the Blue Knights for several years,” said Mark Arnold, Executive Director of the Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps. “His focus has always been centered on creating a positive experience for the members of the drum corps, whether as drum major or as a member of our administrative team. His enthusiasm, business sense and great interpersonal skills make him a great fit for this position. I really look forward to working with Jordan in the years to come!”

Helwerda was drum major for the Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps from 2008 to 2010, then returned as tour manager in 2011. From 2012 to 2015, he assisted the drum corps in several capacities including spending time on the support and administration team.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to become more involved in an organization that I have been deeply passionate about for years,” said Jordan Helwerda. “Being a part of the Blue Knights as a member has taught me so much about myself and prepared me with the skills to be successful in my professional life. I truly see the value that drum corps provides young adults and am happy that I can be a small part of bringing that experience to today’s youth.”

Helwerda is from Calgary, Alberta where he currently resides. He works as a realtor, real estate developer and investor. He intends to commute to Denver as needed to fulfill his responsibilities to the Blue Knights as the drum corps moves forward with planning for the 2016 season.

Please join us in welcoming Jordan Helwerda as the Assistant Director of the Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps!

http://ascendperformingarts.org/blue-knights-name-jordan-helwerda-assistant-director/

Bluecoats add Donnie VanDoren (!) and Aaron Beck to 2016 Staff

http://bluecoats.com/2015/10/vandoren-beck-join-bluecoats-2016-staff/

The Bluecoats are proud to announce the addition of Donnie VanDoren and Aaron Beck to the corps’ instructional and design teams. VanDoren will serve as an advisor to the corps’ returning team of brass instructors, and after serving as a consultant in 2015, alum Aaron Beck officially joins the Bluecoats design team as Audio Systems Designer.
A member of the Drum Corps International Hall of Fame, Donnie VanDoren has enjoyed a very long and successful career in the drum corps activity. Having led the brass program for the The Cadets, Star of Indiana, Troopers and Madison Scouts, Donnie’s expertise has led to many Jim Ott High Brass Awards and multiple Drum Corps International World Championships. He has also recently served as a brass advisor for the Blue Stars, Carolina Crown, and is currently the Program Coordinator, Staff Coordinator, and Brass Caption Supervisor for the Troopers. In addition, Donnie was instrumental in Star of Indiana’s transition from the field to the stage while serving as the Music Manager for Brass Theater and BLAST! He continues to serve as the Casting Director for Mason Entertainment Group while also maintaining his management consulting company, VanDoren Management Group.
Aaron Beck, a member of the Bluecoats cymbal line in 1995, started his audio career 25 years ago in Corydon, Indiana. After falling in love with all things audio while performing in his high school band and his church’s music ensemble, he studied Music Audio at Indiana University in Bloomington. After graduating, Aaron served as a professional audio engineer for several of Broadway’s largest tour companies including The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Mamma Mia, The Buddy Holly Story and Jolson the Musical. He is currently Head of Audio for Cirque du Soleil’s Michael Jackson One in Las Vegas, and also played an instrumental role in the development of Cirque du Soleil’s The Beatles Love and Viva Elvis.
VanDoren and Beck join an incredible team of returning designers and instructors.
Program Coordinator Dean Westman and Artistic Director/ Visual Designer Jon Vanderkolff will continue to lead the Bluecoats Design Team in 2016. Composers Doug Thrower, Tom Rarick and Vince Oliver will return as Brass Designer, Percussion Designer and Electronics Designer (respectively). Jim Moore continues as Guard Designer, Choreographer and Guard Caption Supervisor, and Greg Lagola returns as Costume Designer and contributing member of the design team.
Caption Supervisor Dave Mackinnon and Caption Head Derek Gipson will again lead the Bluecoats Brass program. Ryan Kilgore will continue as Music Ensemble Coordinator, Roger Carter returns as Percussion Caption Head and Brad Palmer returns as Front Ensemble Coordinator. In addition to Jim Moore, the Bluecoats Guard program will again be led by Caption Head Shavon Garcia. Mike Fanning returns for his third season as the corps’ Visual Caption Head
Edited by packetslave
  • Like 3

I don't know how no one has posted this yet.

BLUE KNIGHTS NAME JORDAN HELWERDA ASSISTANT DIRECTOR

DENVER, CO – Ascend Performing Arts is pleased to announce the first of several staff announcements coming this fall. To start off, Jordan Helwerda has been named Assistant Director of the Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps. Helwerda is the first Assistant Director for the Blue Knights since Casey Smith held the position in the early 1990’s.

“Jordan has been behind the scenes with the Blue Knights for several years,” said Mark Arnold, Executive Director of the Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps. “His focus has always been centered on creating a positive experience for the members of the drum corps, whether as drum major or as a member of our administrative team. His enthusiasm, business sense and great interpersonal skills make him a great fit for this position. I really look forward to working with Jordan in the years to come!”

Helwerda was drum major for the Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps from 2008 to 2010, then returned as tour manager in 2011. From 2012 to 2015, he assisted the drum corps in several capacities including spending time on the support and administration team.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to become more involved in an organization that I have been deeply passionate about for years,” said Jordan Helwerda. “Being a part of the Blue Knights as a member has taught me so much about myself and prepared me with the skills to be successful in my professional life. I truly see the value that drum corps provides young adults and am happy that I can be a small part of bringing that experience to today’s youth.”

Helwerda is from Calgary, Alberta where he currently resides. He works as a realtor, real estate developer and investor. He intends to commute to Denver as needed to fulfill his responsibilities to the Blue Knights as the drum corps moves forward with planning for the 2016 season.

Please join us in welcoming Jordan Helwerda as the Assistant Director of the Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps!

http://ascendperformingarts.org/blue-knights-name-jordan-helwerda-assistant-director/

If he brings even half the energy he used on the podium (remember the jumping up and down,) he'll continue to be great. Super-guy and family; another of Canada's best...except for his hockey favorites out their in Calgary!

Bluecoats add Donnie VanDoren (!) and Aaron Beck to 2016 Staff

http://bluecoats.com/2015/10/vandoren-beck-join-bluecoats-2016-staff/

The Bluecoats are proud to announce the addition of Donnie VanDoren and Aaron Beck to the corps instructional and design teams. VanDoren will serve as an advisor to the corps returning team of brass instructors, and after serving as a consultant in 2015, alum Aaron Beck officially joins the Bluecoats design team as Audio Systems Designer.

A member of the Drum Corps International Hall of Fame, Donnie VanDoren has enjoyed a very long and successful career in the drum corps activity. Having led the brass program for the The Cadets, Star of Indiana, Troopers and Madison Scouts, Donnies expertise has led to many Jim Ott High Brass Awards and multiple Drum Corps International World Championships. He has also recently served as a brass advisor for the Blue Stars, Carolina Crown, and is currently the Program Coordinator, Staff Coordinator, and Brass Caption Supervisor for the Troopers. In addition, Donnie was instrumental in Star of Indianas transition from the field to the stage while serving as the Music Manager for Brass Theater and BLAST! He continues to serve as the Casting Director for Mason Entertainment Group while also maintaining his management consulting company, VanDoren Management Group.

Aaron Beck, a member of the Bluecoats cymbal line in 1995, started his audio career 25 years ago in Corydon, Indiana. After falling in love with all things audio while performing in his high school band and his churchs music ensemble, he studied Music Audio at Indiana University in Bloomington. After graduating, Aaron served as a professional audio engineer for several of Broadways largest tour companies including The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Mamma Mia, The Buddy Holly Story and Jolson the Musical. He is currently Head of Audio for Cirque du Soleils Michael Jackson One in Las Vegas, and also played an instrumental role in the development of Cirque du Soleils The Beatles Love and Viva Elvis.

VanDoren and Beck join an incredible team of returning designers and instructors.

Program Coordinator Dean Westman and Artistic Director/ Visual Designer Jon Vanderkolff will continue to lead the Bluecoats Design Team in 2016. Composers Doug Thrower, Tom Rarick and Vince Oliver will return as Brass Designer, Percussion Designer and Electronics Designer (respectively). Jim Moore continues as Guard Designer, Choreographer and Guard Caption Supervisor, and Greg Lagola returns as Costume Designer and contributing member of the design team.

Caption Supervisor Dave Mackinnon and Caption Head Derek Gipson will again lead the Bluecoats Brass program. Ryan Kilgore will continue as Music Ensemble Coordinator, Roger Carter returns as Percussion Caption Head and Brad Palmer returns as Front Ensemble Coordinator. In addition to Jim Moore, the Bluecoats Guard program will again be led by Caption Head Shavon Garcia. Mike Fanning returns for his third season as the corps Visual Caption Head

Building a powerhouse down in Canton. Watch out Cadets and Crown.

The intertwined credential legacies* of these three corps is amazing.

Maybe nothing like it in DCI history except the shuttle bus that used to run between the two California power houses each Autumn in the '70's.

*who marched where/when/with whom...who taught where/when/with whom.

• Like 1

My first thought when I saw this was the rich get richer. Bloo is accumulating an embarrassment of riches.

I know that DVD is insanely talented, but the number of corps he is listed as being associated with for 2016 seems interesting.

Will he honestly be able to give each of these corps enough time to make a major difference?

I know that DVD is insanely talented, but the number of corps he is listed as being associated with for 2016 seems interesting.

Will he honestly be able to give each of these corps enough time to make a major difference?

Same sentiment I had. But DVD is incredible, almost intimidatingly incredible. I'll never forget auditioning for him in 1999 and being so nervous that I almost got cut from Cadets. Looking forward to seeing what he brings to the Bluecoats' organization.

Trolling?

Not after being there for 17 years, then arranging the sponsorships for 30+ marching members there since I stopped touring full time (some I paid for, others I twisted arms of others to help out) and even was Miss Hopkins' baby sitter several times on tour while her parents duked it out elsewhere.

Consider it more like making sure the best return is coming on my investments and those of others rather than the erratic agenda of one person currently holding the strings. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely" I think has been the axiom in history.

Perhaps Cadets show theme this year will be from Hans Christian Andersen, "The Emperor's New Clothes."

Someone should write a hymn about THAT, and Cadets would play it as a ballad.

Someone should write a hymn about THAT, and Cadets would play it as a ballad.

Interesting.

Will you be commissioning the piece? maybe for an anniversary or special occasion? (Composers often get inspired that way...)