Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

On the subject of them being secretive, as much as I'd love to see and hear a bunch of everyone........kinda takes any surprise out of it when you see the full thing in competition the first time.

I wonder what it was like before the Internet when you didn't know anything about a show before hand and got blown away. The anticipation would probably kill me, but that first time seeing a show, especially a really good one, had to be an absolute overload in a really good way.

• Like 1

On the subject of them being secretive, as much as I'd love to see and hear a bunch of everyone........kinda takes any surprise out of it when you see the full thing in competition the first time.

I wonder what it was like before the Internet when you didn't know anything about a show before hand and got blown away. The anticipation would probably kill me, but that first time seeing a show, especially a really good one, had to be an absolute overload in a really good way.

Not sure. Sometimes there's so much to grasp...

I kind of like seeing things in snippets and then eventually seeing it all together and seeing how not fits together, changes etc, The process is neat..

Honest to god, my birthday is the 23rd and we're traveling out to Indy for the show.. and if I hear NOTHING about Bloo, get there and am blown away and surprised on opening night.. I don't think I could ask for better. It's good enough being able to spend that day with DCI but that'd be awesome. It makes it more exciting to me.

• Like 1

From what I can recall, you'd being watching the mailbox for the next issue of Drumcorps world. Then if there was a show near you, you'd look at the souvenirs area for a drumcorps world. I'd always go to the Scouts for my Drumcorps world fix. So people in one area would look for news on other areas.

You'd call 1800CANDRUM for the latest scores. You'd trade bootleg cassette tapes from friends around the country. You'd only argue with your local friends in person.

Ah, yes.... Such a slow and laid back world it was.... :tounge2:

• Like 1

It was def. different than today. But one thing we had a good handful of years ago was the DCI Today Newspaper. I believe they put out about 9 issues a year (Almost monthly). I can't remember if it was the April or May edition but they used to list all of the dci member corps and what songs they were playing for the coming season (Occasionally some corps did not list all of their music selections). So, in a way...we knew more about what songs corps were playing (preseason) back in the day :cool: but of coarse there was no opportunity to watch a live stream or view a youtube video of anything. I have a good handful of the old DCI Today papers and thought someday I would dig them out to find one of these preseason focused issues just to show people they did provide info about the shows well before the first public show of the year.

Edited by Triple Forte

From what I can recall, you'd being watching the mailbox for the next issue of Drumcorps world. .. :tounge2:

By the 1st week of June ? Depending upon the year, you'd have already seen many of the Corps in your region in competition already, and would have heard how the other Corps were doing in competition nationwide thru your friends. By the 1st week of June, they'd have already been between 7 and 21 competition shows nationwide, depending upon the year. Plus, in some years, Corps would have performed in exhibition at Carnegie Hall, NYC, or Symphony Hall, Boston, etc by now.... and/ or competed indoors in Standstill Competitions in March and April and such. So by now, one did not really need Drum Corps World to know by halfway thru the year, how most of the top Corps were doing that year, what they were playing, and how they were performing it, & what uniforms they were wearing, etc that particular year.

Edited by BRASSO

The Summer Drum Corps season usually ran approx. 21-24 weeks. Today, the summer competition season is barely a third of that. The summer competition season runs approx. 7.5 weeks for some Corps, and 4-5 weeks for others. After that, there is a virtual lockout of information from 92-98% the Corps for approx 44-48 weeks out of the year. There is no way in the world such an activity can grow very much under such a lockout. It would seem highly doubtful that DCI really is all that interested in growing a fan base. Out of sight for 85% of the year is certainly not a formula for growing anything but lilacs in the garden or similar.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I did not mean to start this..........oops.

:tounge2:

Back on topic!