Cadets 2016

Tobias

I don't think the brass criticism is entirely fair considering we won the Ott in 2015, and I don't think music was the problem this year or for many years in matter of fact.

I don't think the brass criticism is entirely fair considering we won the Ott in 2015, and I don't think music was the problem this year or for many years in matter of fact.

Personally, I'm specifically talking about THIS year. But the music is a big thing for how the rest of the show is based. I think it translates to having a better show design, better GE, better guard, etc. I don't think this year's music was terrible, but I do think it was relatively easy for Cadets.

Exactly. And more work in the offseason to determine a concrete show idea would be best to ensure what happened this year doesn't happen again.

Is the development of the show idea a one-man show? Or is it a collaborative effort?

I think it just needs to be more complicated. Listen to how many times Medea has been played and compare it to this year's edition Crown is playing. It's just absolutely fantastic.

Not sure if it's just that. Listen to their closers the past few years. The way they're written make them sound too familiar to each other (and ends up coming off as stale). Their final chord rarely sounds "clean" because it gets covered up by the drums literally ramming and the pit abusing the suspended cymbals. I do think the writing in Cadets' 2013 show was a step in the right direction.

I realize it's simply their arranging style (Bocook and McNutt/Moyer), but it just sounds dated to me and I'm not sure if they can change their style (or want to).

Before I get blasted, these are just my opinions, I'm sure most people are content with how their music is being arranged, but I personally think it could do with a face-lift so to speak.

Cadets are no doubt formidable in the music department, I've never said otherwise. I'm just speaking to the entertainment factor of the music writing itself.

Is the development of the show idea a one-man show? Or is it a collaborative effort?

depends on who you talk to

• Like 1

Leading but serious

You clearly know the answer to your own question. That question should be posed to the powers that be. I already understand that it needs to be a collaborative effort.

I agree with you about 2013. Great stuff. We're experiencing a renaissance in percussion arrangement in the past decade, and I'm reluctant to criticize Colin's writing style which is VERY tasty. I'm with you on the cymbals, however. LOL! They were out of control this year. :)

• Like 1