Cadets 2016

Tobias

I did predict at the end of Championships in August on a thread here on DCP that the Cadets would tone down significantly now their high speed velocity drills. The Cadets move on the field like nobody else. That velocity is demanding, but no longer rewarded as such by the new judging sheets. Judges now are rewarding staging much more now. Thats been clear to me for awhile now. ( nobody does staging better than BD currently, imo ). So it was no surprise at all to hear GH confirm in this clip that the Cadets will tone down the high velocity marching we've known from them and gravitate more now toward more staging with their MM's with their production for this season.

Agreed but I'm sure they'll treat us to some high velocity drill just less of it. Kids go to Cadets because they want to have the most demanding show musically and physically. Otherwise there are several great top corps to go to if they want to strict a pose and play for 2 minutes at a time. Edited by Tobias
  • Like 5

Kinda saddens me a little. I wish it were possible to be rewarded for both movement AND "staging, effect, and 'moments'". I'll try to keep an open mind because we still do not know what the show will look like, but I'm still hoping they incorporate some of their more traditional technique in addition to the other elements that get more rewards than anything else. HOWEVER, I am still excited the show concept (well, most of it) is still in.

Saddens me a bit too, but at the same time, I think there is a middle-ground to be explored. It's just a matter of this design team stumbling across that formula. Even without all the staffing changes, I'd be weary of them hitting the mark, because they just haven't been consistent in that regard.

That said, maybe the new blood will be just what they need to find that sweet spot.

One interesting aspect is to look to who is currently judging DCI visuals and GE. Other than perhaps Mark Hart, very, very few judges have come from corps known for their velocity drill. Most are from park-and-blow corps (although the music is quite tasty and rather well done.)

What I am saying is agreeing that styles have changed direction in DCi but it seems to be self-replication (rewarding styles that the judges "marched") rather than diversity of expression and styles.

Just as when Ralph Pace/Pete Emmons/George Zingali/Michael Gaines replaced the status quo of their times with something different; every one seemed to imitate to various degrees.

DCI judging lately has but just replaced one cookie cutter with another, just a different cookie cutter..

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

Frankly I thought for sure it was either Cadets in 1st or a tie with BD this last summer.

2015 is by far my favorite Cadets show and I hope they do more stuff like it.

Yea OK I saw it on FN or what ever they called it. I was totally blown away by Cadets more so than I have have before.

Agreed it was a stunning exhibition of human endurance and excellence but eventually one must ask themselves, do we want to win or continue doing what we do and let the chips fall. I think adults may say do what makes you happy but from a MM POV, being rewarded for almost a year of hard work is a nice thing,

Agreed but I'm sure they'll treat us to some high velocity drill just less of it. Kids go to Cadets because they want to have the most demanding show musically and physically.

With one of the fastest drills ever performed last year, they still won the Ott. One can only imagine how strong their brass line might be this year.

I'm unsure how anybody can honestly criticize the staging of last year's show. Was it different than BD or Crown? Yes, but the visual queues were easily identifiable and complimentary to the music. I'm not talking about the "Power of Ten" concept. That's beating a dead horse. I'm talking about how the music and drill were so well integrated that the audience member could "visualize" the notes. The difference is these queues were relative in speed to the drill, so if one did not pay attention then the moment would quickly pass. Biggest hose job of the year! Yeah, I'm bitter. Sue me! :)

Edited by wallace

I guess I consider Jeff's drill last year to be his magnum opus. It was brilliant and underappreciated.

I guess I consider Jeff's drill last year to be his magnum opus. It was brilliant and underappreciated.

Well I think it was appreciated by fans. The judges certainly dumped them in some baffling areas especially visual analysis and GE visual. (Or the judge that was more visually oriented). Demand and performance were second to none and I was in the box Saturday night. The visual drill was so demonstrative of the music. Overall the kids loved performing the show and you can't take that away. We'll see how well this new staff adjusts to the staging and guard emphasis the judges reward now.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

Kinda saddens me a little. I wish it were possible to be rewarded for both movement AND "staging, effect, and 'moments'". I'll try to keep an open mind because we still do not know what the show will look like, but I'm still hoping they incorporate some of their more traditional technique in addition to the other elements that get more rewards than anything else. HOWEVER, I am still excited the show concept (well, most of it) is still in.

This has been bugging me for years with DCI

The idea that there is ‘one’ correct style that will be rewarded. I’m amazed that the corps staffs have the judges enforce these trends; well not really as self-serving hypocrisy is the bread and butter of corps staffs. For years, corps have had DCI changes rules for artistic freedom and variety but to achieve good scores, they all have to do the same type of shows…so much for variety and freedom. Stupid stupid stupid.

I’m not into the current trend which has grown stale anyway, watching the Cadets trying to be Blue Devils will be pathetic

• Like 2