Cadets 2016

Tobias

Well I think it was appreciated by fans. The judges certainly dumped them in some baffling areas especially visual analysis and GE visual. (Or the judge that was more visually oriented). Demand and performance were second to none and I was in the box Saturday night. The visual drill was so demonstrative of the music. Overall the kids loved performing the show and you can't take that away. We'll see how well this new staff adjusts to the staging and guard emphasis the judges reward now.

In Finals night, Vis Analysis they were 3rd overall, with 3rd in Content and 4th in Achievement; Visual Proficiency they were 4th in both.

Semis Cadets were 3rd in BOTH visual sheet subcaptions of Content; 4th in Analysis Achievement, 5th in Proficiency Achievement

Quarters they scored better in both Visual Captions, but still placed lower in Achievement than they did in the Content subcaption.

Essentially Finals week they consistently placed lower on the performance side than they did on the design side; I would guess maybe the corps just didn't quite achieve up to the potential of the design.

Not to stir up controversy, but I'm sure this will...

I've talked with a lot of people who feel that while utilizing the black uniforms last year was part of the plan, that it looked as if the visual package overall was not designed with the black uniforms in mind. Some things I have heard was, "It made them look slow," "Things seemed to looked somewhat meshed together, instead of inter-connected." (Not sure exactly what was meant by the second comment?!?!?! In the end, I think that there may have been issues with performance, because of the look (black uniforms) that affected the way the performance appeared. Personally, I think I kind of liked the black uniforms, but I also thought the group looked cleaner visually in the traditional uniform. Just my opinion, and some of others, for what its worth.

I guess I consider Jeff's drill last year to be his magnum opus. It was brilliant and underappreciated.

I personally found it repetitive and uninspired. Felt 2012 Christmas show was his last one with much originality.

I've talked with a lot of people who feel that while utilizing the black uniforms last year was part of the plan, that it looked as if the visual package overall was not designed with the black uniforms in mind. Some things I have heard was, "It made them look slow," "Things seemed to looked somewhat meshed together, instead of inter-connected." (Not sure exactly what was meant by the second comment?!?!?! In the end, I think that there may have been issues with performance, because of the look (black uniforms) that affected the way the performance appeared. Personally, I think I kind of liked the black uniforms, but I also thought the group looked cleaner visually in the traditional uniform. Just my opinion, and some of others, for what its worth.

Completely agree on the uniform and in the drill density last year not taking it into consideration. The uniforms are really nice. The drill however got muddy

• Like 1

In Finals night, Vis Analysis they were 3rd overall, with 3rd in Content and 4th in Achievement; Visual Proficiency they were 4th in both.

Semis Cadets were 3rd in BOTH visual sheet subcaptions of Content; 4th in Analysis Achievement, 5th in Proficiency Achievement

Quarters they scored better in both Visual Captions, but still placed lower in Achievement than they did in the Content subcaption.

Essentially Finals week they consistently placed lower on the performance side than they did on the design side; I would guess maybe the corps just didn't quite achieve up to the potential of the design.

Enjoy this last time you can even get to make statements like this based on recaps...

This has been bugging me for years with DCI

The idea that there is ‘one’ correct style that will be rewarded. I’m amazed that the corps staffs have the judges enforce these trends; well not really as self-serving hypocrisy is the bread and butter of corps staffs. For years, corps have had DCI changes rules for artistic freedom and variety but to achieve good scores, they all have to do the same type of shows…so much for variety and freedom. Stupid stupid stupid.

I’m not into the current trend which has grown stale anyway, watching the Cadets trying to be Blue Devils will be pathetic

And this is why it saddens me. I appreciate the Blue Devils' style only when THEY do it. I appreciate The Cadets' style because THEY do it. I think drum corps is much better appreciated when there is variety.

I kinda agree. I think the late change to the black uniforms gave the members something different to which they had to get accustomed. There were noticeable drill cleanliness differences between the black uniforms and the traditional uniforms. Although I was initially excited about the change, in retrospect, I wish they hadn't waited so late in the season to change.

Completely agree on the uniform and in the drill density last year not taking it into consideration. The uniforms are really nice. The drill however got muddy

Agree the black concept worked better on paper than on the field. The maroon, gold and cream uniforms had both vertically and horizontally linear connecting of forms with the cream pants emphasizing their great marching technique despite the judge dumping them in proficiency.
  • Like 1