Cadets 2016

Tobias

WHAT? Stop exaggerating. There were 4 other guards that just outperformed them but they were not a train wreck. If that's the case, what were the guards level of performance below Cadets guard? Your point is understood without a train wreck reference.

i thin k they explained the comment meaning not excellent. As i said above, one corps train wrecks could be anothers excellence. It's all relative and standards are different for some. It's like 7th place ( random pick, no offence to any 7th place corp ni history..lol ) would be a hoopla party for some and a funeral for others...lol..ok bad analogy.

WHAT? Stop exaggerating. There were 4 other guards that just outperformed them but they were not a train wreck. If that's the case, what were the guards level of performance below Cadets guard? Your point is understood without a train wreck reference.

1. I said train wreck by Cadet standards.

2. We had decades of flawless guards and the past several years have been a step down. Timing errors all over the flag line at finals. That's a problem for a corps competing at the top. A very big problem for a caption that's weighted so much. Seriously, I wish percussion or brass were weighted captions but unfortunately not.

1. I said train wreck by Cadet standards.

2. We had decades of flawless guards and the past several years have been a step down. Timing errors all over the flag line at finals. That's a problem for a corps competing at the top. A very big problem for a caption that's weighted so much. Seriously, I wish percussion or brass were weighted captions but unfortunately not.

Well yeah, they weren't up to typical "Cadets" standards, but I don't think they would be considered a train wreck (but thats just my opinion). I have faith that this years guard will get back up to standards (or maybe I should say I hope they are back up to their standards this year).

so - this video, the snare drummer with the blue water jug (light grey shirt) is so awesome it's not even funny

playing that aggressively and that deep into the drum in January

I guess he's a vet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7LMiAY-Iig

Good golly, I do LOVE this video!

And what a fascinating study in percussion "hands"! The comparison between Pat and the guy two to his right in the maroon baseball shirt, to the kid two from the right end in the dark tee, is REALLY stark and shows how much room they have to build those chops until August.

This is going to be a monster line if they can get control of the beads and match those centers in legato and sostenuto technique.

Jeebus, I love McNutty-crazy-man's writing!

The timing eighths...the high, off-pulse staccato accents...the amazing use of the entire drum head all the way down to 3 inches...

Just amazing, amazing talent. Stunning in what they can play, up and down that line. Just stunning.

Give them two months of sleeping together and that line is going to be tight as tics.

It sure would be nice to be able to keep track of the drum lines progress throughout the season!

(Just in case anyone cares.)

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

You recaps guys are relentless hahahaha

I get it. I realize they've taken some of our fun from us. Let's get creative and put that energy into some different types of conversations this summer

Edited by George Dixon

Good golly, I do LOVE this video!

And what a fascinating study in percussion "hands"! The comparison between Pat and the guy two to his right in the maroon baseball shirt, to the kid two from the right end in the dark tee, is REALLY stark and shows how much room they have to build those chops until August.

This is going to be a monster line if they can get control of the beads and match those centers in legato and sostenuto technique.

Jeebus, I love McNutty-crazy-man's writing!

The timing eighths...the high, off-pulse staccato accents...the amazing use of the entire drum head all the way down to 3 inches...

Just amazing, amazing talent. Stunning in what they can play, up and down that line. Just stunning.

Give them two months of sleeping together and that line is going to be tight as tics.

It sure would be nice to be able to keep track of the drum lines progress throughout the season!

(Just in case anyone cares.)

I love reading your posts about drummers. I feel like I'm sitting in the same room with them.

I love reading your posts about drummers. I feel like I'm sitting in the same room with them.

Ha! You were there!

This Cadets line...

At the very beginning...Stick - Set, 3...4...

and the dotted-16ths in the last two counts. So tasty.

Colin could have written straight 16ths in that last measure and driven home the last two steps of those tired Roman soldiers dragging their feet after miles of marching. But he chose to represent their last two foot-falls as a "hop" (dotted-16th - 32nds) which added just enough twist to show the "jubilance" of the victorious soldiers, and to cement Colin's signature in the opener.

I just have to chuckle. Really brilliant.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

Colin could have written straight 16ths in that last measure and driven home the last two steps of those tired Roman soldiers dragging their feet after miles of marching. But he chose to represent their last two foot-falls as a "hop" (dotted-16th - 32nds) which added just enough twist to show the "jubilance" of the victorious soldiers, and to cement Colin's signature in the opener.

I just have to chuckle. Really brilliant.

May Jeff like it come finals weekend.