Cadets 2016

Tobias

When he sees those bars of triplet-flam-alts up to tempo...Oh my, I think he's going to melt into his microphone.

Cadets' February camp vids are SO much fun.

and that's a January camp vid. Just imagine the upcoming February one :)

Ha! You were there!

This Cadets line...

At the very beginning...Stick - Set, 3...4...

and the dotted-16ths in the last two counts. So tasty.

Colin could have written straight 16ths in that last measure and driven home the last two steps of those tired Roman soldiers dragging their feet after miles of marching. But he chose to represent their last two foot-falls as a "hop" (dotted-16th - 32nds) which added just enough twist to show the "jubilance" of the victorious soldiers, and to cement Colin's signature in the opener.

I just have to chuckle. Really brilliant.

Now you REALLY have me paying more attention to the drumline.

None of the above percussionist-comments have noted that the Jan. & Feb camps vids & music links show a smaller snare line than previously posted vids for this season; I am presuming that a few bodies were missing either due to concurrent CWP rehearsal the same weekend, snow/travels back to school, or the bug that has going about. Either way, all looks quite well for percussion contribution this season.

As Kendall is neither a prattler nor a blabber, her comments here are quite telling about the visual direction and does not seem to belie the "usual-just a little different" presumptions of Tobias and some others have editorialized on this thread. With the strong music, it looks toward a most interesting and strong summer.

"Taking all of this information into account, the leadership team is better equipped to take on the season with one, unified approach. This was particularly helpful in discussions with our new visual caption head, Bob Chreste. He hung out with us for a good portion of the weekend, and he was able to hear about what the norm was for us.

Bob marched in The Cadets from 1996 through 1998, so he was able to refamiliarize himself with the ensemble and how we are accustomed to operating. Unlike most years, this year's approach to the visual program will be new to the vets and rookies alike. Regardless of how long we’ve all been marching with The Cadets or other corps, we are all brand-new to the staff, the staff is new to us, and the returning members are having to take a step back and learn a new process and program alongside the first-year members. Bob let us in on his approach to the visual program, and his underlying goal: to support the development of Cadets into great teachers."

from: http://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/news/1179-cadets-leadership-weekend-2016

Edited by xandandl

1. the videos are from the first and second January camps - there is no February camp for percussion. Brass (only) camp in February the 19th-21st

2. the missing battery folks were excused due to scholastic and/or indoor obligations. Bass #5 in the second camp video was being subbed due to illness

3. the next percussion camp is March 18th-20th

I'm glad they are taking a fresh approach to visual - the visual element cost them a championship last year. Might be the situation of a slower start but the possibility of a stronger finish. However the visual staff is not "all new" - it is a combination of vet staff, alumni techs and a bit of new blood. As warranted.

1. the videos are from the first and second January camps - there is no February camp for percussion. Brass (only) camp in February the 19th-21st

2. the missing battery folks were excused due to scholastic and/or indoor obligations. Bass #5 in the second camp video was being subbed due to illness

3. the next percussion camp is March 18th-20th

I'm glad they are taking a fresh approach to visual - the visual element cost them a championship last year. Might be the situation of a slower start but the possibility of a stronger finish. However the visual staff is not "all new" - it is a combination of vet staff, alumni techs and a bit of new blood. As warranted.

When I mentioned Feb. camp, I meant the second Jan camp which was the last weekend going to the 31st. I was ahead of myself. On the other points, mostly concur.

The ranks of "vet staff" & "alumni techs" has thinned a lot and has been spotty at the three winter camps thus far. Those still on staff are slated for Spring Training and after. The folks running the winter visuals are new from various of your rankings as I witnessed.

Odd that you are correcting the drum major of the corps who has been at all camps, is part of the admin. discussion, and is GH's official corps mouth piece, otherwise he would not have ok'd her article before he posted it on the corps website.

Edited by xandandl

"Taking all of this information into account, the leadership team is better equipped to take on the season with one, unified approach. This was particularly helpful in discussions with our new visual caption head, Bob Chreste. He hung out with us for a good portion of the weekend, and he was able to hear about what the norm was for us.

Bob marched in The Cadets from 1996 through 1998, so he was able to refamiliarize himself with the ensemble and how we are accustomed to operating.

Ah, he marched one of my all time favorite shows of any corps in any era, 1997.

• Like 2

rumors are flowing...a member posted on FB they were fitted in the black uniforms