Cadets 2016

Tobias

I gotta point this out because it's just amazing. Here's a lesson in "splits" that can only be seen if you pay close attention (or if you're a judge standing on the field in front of the line).

Watch the snares from the beginning and you'll see the stick beads are all uniform, rising for accents at the same time and playing down close to the head at the same stick height. But when they come back in at the 1:20 mark things start to change. At 1:25 they "split" the sticking pattern so the stick beads rise and accent at different partials of the music. The easiest way to see it is to NOT focus on the sticks but, rather, stare at the face of the center snare and see the sticks in peripheral; you'll see the beads rising at different partials.

Remember Crown '13 and the spinning pyramid? You had to watch it several times to get it? Yeah, this is like that. Watch this several times until you see it.

There are those among us fans and gurus who believe that the drum judge should be removed from the field for "safety" sake. I contend that there's no way a judge would see this kind of quality and talent from the box.

This, here, is some incredible writing and playing. Way to go, Cadets drumline. I am seriously impressed.

Holy CRAP!

Yeah, I know someone in the front ensemble and she was explaining the splits to me and I saw that. Pretty cool stuff! There's some stuff like that going on in the pit as well from what was said.

I gotta point this out because it's just amazing. Here's a lesson in "splits" that can only be seen if you pay close attention (or if you're a judge standing on the field in front of the line).

Watch the snares from the beginning and you'll see the stick beads are all uniform, rising for accents at the same time and playing down close to the head at the same stick height. But when they come back in at the 1:20 mark things start to change. At 1:25 they "split" the sticking pattern so the stick beads rise and accent at different partials of the music. The easiest way to see it is to NOT focus on the sticks but, rather, stare at the face of the center snare and see the sticks in peripheral; you'll see the beads rising at different partials.

Remember Crown '13 and the spinning pyramid? You had to watch it several times to get it? Yeah, this is like that. Watch this several times until you see it.

There are those among us fans and gurus who believe that the drum judge should be removed from the field for "safety" sake. I contend that there's no way a judge would see this kind of quality and talent from the box.

This, here, is some incredible writing and playing. Way to go, Cadets drumline. I am seriously impressed.

Holy CRAP!

Dude, I LOVE your passion and enthusiasm about drumlines. I've always loved drums, but reading your critiques make me watch them more than I usually do.

• Like 1

Dude, I LOVE your passion and enthusiasm about drumlines. I've always loved drums, but reading your critiques make me watch them more than I usually do.

Along those same lines, the Cadets in recent years will take a repeating drum pattern (bam-buzz-bam-buzz-bam-buzz) but each one will have a different sticking pattern. As a drummer currently trying to get back into playing shape... that ain't easy.

Mike

• Like 1

Look everyone, I know the design team hasn't been all "hits" for the past few years, but have a little faith. Sometimes, when they hit, THEY HIT. And we know, when they miss, they REALLY miss. Give it a chance. One thing is certain (imo), the design they're contemplating this year sounds a lot more promising than the designs since 2011.

I'm not saying that in a negative way, I'm just very curious how they will approach it. Should be a much deeper design than last year which was their nemesis. It's a very WGI design team this year so should see some artistic design. Edited by Tobias

How many stages will be used? Will they be similar to 2014?

Long one up front extending out to the 20s but only 4 ft high. Then some more individualized platforms for brass and guard solos. Sounds very cluttered. They should do well (if BD field clutter is an indication of what judges reward lol). Edited by Tobias

Long one up front extending out to the 20s but only 4 ft high. Then some more individualized platforms for brass and guard solos. Sounds very cluttered. They should do well (if BD field clutter is an indication of what judges reward lol).

GH said on his vid that on-field stages will be like birthday cakes with folks at different levels. (Is this more like a tiered wedding cake type of configuration?)

Edited by xandandl

Yeah, I know someone in the front ensemble and she was explaining the splits to me and I saw that. Pretty cool stuff! There's some stuff like that going on in the pit as well from what was said.

This 2016 battery has the potential to be one of the best in DCI annals....rising on the shoulders of the great sections from the past few years. I hope that the musical essence of Pines will not be obliterated by the overwhelming chops on display. When you hear Pines in concert performed by a world class orchestra....ie. Chicago, Berlin, Cleveland, Concertgebouw....the Appian Way portrays the approach of the unstoppable Roman legions so that by the time you get to the last minute of the movement, the wall of sound is incredible...but that effect depends on the ensemble not 'shooting its wad' too soon.

• Like 1

This 2016 battery has the potential to be one of the best in DCI annals....rising on the shoulders of the great sections from the past few years. I hope that the musical essence of Pines will not be obliterated by the overwhelming chops on display. When you hear Pines in concert performed by a world class orchestra....ie. Chicago, Berlin, Cleveland, Concertgebouw....the Appian Way portrays the approach of the unstoppable Roman legions so that by the time you get to the last minute of the movement, the wall of sound is incredible...but that effect depends on the ensemble not 'shooting its wad' too soon.

Given that Colin MacNutt's original degrees are in Classics (Latin, Greek.) I have no worries that he will be as sensitive in his training of the percussionists as you are in appreciation of them.

Given that Colin MacNutt's original degrees are in Classics (Latin, Greek.) I have no worries that he will be as sensitive in his training of the percussionists as you are in appreciation of them.

Yea, but you know drummers, always trying to be the center of attention. :-)

I think that brichtimp is right on all counts. This is one of the best drumlines I've seen yet from Cadets, and I hope he can keep them under control.

The nice thing is that Respighi wrote very percussive "footfalls" into the original so it's unlikely that an overly-powerful drumline this this will over-power a strong brass line.

I.....can't......wait!

• Like 1