Cadets 2016

Tobias

If I recall correctly (and maybe I don't), the only things that really changed that season were the last few sets of the opener and the last few sets of the closer, which were always intended to be rewritten for more effect. Also, I think the "final" ending went in for the Dallas show, Tekk. I think we had only made it through like 2-3 times in rehearsal with no one falling that day, so it was a bit of a crap shoot.

The "play each other's horn" thing was in the show before we even had drill.

I think that competitive success really comes down to how well you get the design right on the first shot. In two of my years (1998, 2000), we barely changed anything at all. In the other four (1999, 2001, 2002, 2003), we had wholesale changes of music and drill that were efforts to fix things that didn't work very well on the first try.

This season seems to be a work in progress. (I hope!)

Sorry Sam, I think the final ending went in for the San Antonio show and I remember it vividly because we had a BOA clinic inside the stadium. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am....I also remember it because I was told by Gino to hold a camera during the waterfall set inside the stadium. But you're right Sam. We changed a hell of a lot in 1999 and it was a disaster (imo).

I dont care what people say I like this show and thought this pic was cool!

CmKDvCvWQAQGaNY.jpg

This show is a work in progress. I think it will surprise many when it's fully evolved
  • Like 1

This show is a work in progress. I think it will surprise many when it's fully evolved

Time is an enemy in our activity. Some corps never catch up so to speak with evolving, changing, time in which they started competing etc etc. BUT there are a few exceptions in the activity that can forge ahead quickly. Usually this means they are listening and not just defending a product. Time will tell. It's a long season but also very short in terms of evolving sometimes.

How many times have we heard with corps or fans OH if we( they ) only had 2 more weeks or a month...Well, we don't period.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Hopefully, the original title won't prove to be apropo...

Time is an enemy in our activity. Some corps never catch up so to speak with evolving, changing, time in which they started competing etc etc. BUT there are a few exceptions in the activity that can forge ahead quickly. Usually this means they are listening and not just defending a product. Time will tell. It's a long season but also very short in terms of evolving sometimes.

The problem, or th beauty, is that every corps is working in the same time constraint with the same scoring methodology that includes relative performance quality show to show. If you start from behind, with an incomplete or worse incompetent show, you are chasing corps that are ahead of you and getting better faster. You can have a great performance, but the odds of scoring ahead of a corps two or three slots ahead of you is virtually nil. And that likelihood gets smaller and smaller as scores climb toward 100.

You simply have to make gains when scores are in the 70s.

This is the reason I wish there were a better, fairer way to do scoring. It seems as if the system is built for slow, sometimes imperceptible, change in relative scoring. Once the order is set, judges judge from the order, not just from raw performance. I would like to believe that Cadets could make up a three point deficit once scores get into the 80s, but history tells us it is quite literally almost impossible.

This is the reason I wish there were a better, fairer way to do scoring. It seems as if the system is built for slow, sometimes imperceptible, change in relative scoring. Once the order is set, judges judge from the order, not just from raw performance. I would like to believe that Cadets could make up a three point deficit once scores get into the 80s, but history tells us it is quite literally almost impossible.

I don't think it's history -- it's that so much of the sheet is "general effect" now, and "general effect" relates directly to how well a show is designed by the design staff in the winter. The kids could perform Mary Had a Little Lamb while marching 8:5 across the field with perfect precision and still not make finals because the show design is not "effective."

How many times have we heard with corps or fans OH if we( they ) only had 2 more weeks or a month...Well, we don't period.

True and hopefully Cadets will steadily close pretty large gaps ahead of them. If product isn't there, then a futile endeavor. I think it is but I'm not a designer. (But I play one on DCP like everyone else here!)😂
  • Like 1

The problem, or th beauty, is that every corps is working in the same time constraint with the same scoring methodology that includes relative performance quality show to show. If you start from behind, with an incomplete or worse incompetent show, you are chasing corps that are ahead of you and getting better faster. You can have a great performance, but the odds of scoring ahead of a corps two or three slots ahead of you is virtually nil. And that likelihood gets smaller and smaller as scores climb toward 100.

You simply have to make gains when scores are in the 70s.

Well Cadets were very ahead this time last year and 2014 only to be passed by groups several points behind them at the end of the season so again not sure if the show has legs but history demonstrates some fierce amazingly well performing corps in June get passed by in August. Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1