Cadets 2016

Tobias

Tekk, do you atleast agree that GH does not belong as a program director?

I would be sad if GH stepped down as corps director, but I personally don't think he should be program director.

• Like 4

None of what you accuse me of is accurate. If you believe Cadets is inexorably tied to the person of George Hopkins, so be it. Maybe it is.

Many of my favorite shows of all time are Cadets shows. At or near the top is Angels and Demons, and I have said that dozens of times, so don't put me in the hater camp.

There you go again. WHERE DID I SAY YOU WERE A HATER??? I said you were getting defensive about what I said. How about you go back to my question about with whom you would replace GH.

It's obvious I'm in the minority here. This is absolutely my favorite show this year. I love just about everything in it. I love the pacing, the modern dance which is so different than anything else I'm seeing, and the spectacular energy. The horn line is amazing. The whole corps moves like a champion.

So, why aren't they winning? Well, as awesome as this corps is, there are simply some corps playing and moving better. Of course, it's only my opinion, but it seems obvious when I watch it. Horns have started over blowing and are less balanced they were. Drill is still dirty in a number of spots. And I fear the drums are affected by where the rest of the corps is placing. GE is affected more by performance issues than anything else at least in my experience.

I'll have to admit to being a homer. But I recall something I learned there many years ago. Sometimes you work as hard as you can. You give your all. And sometimes it's not enough. The only valid option is to get back to work.

So my opinion is just as meaningful or meaningless as everyone else's. This is my favorite show. They most likely won't place where I want them to mostly because others will deserve to more. And I hope one of my most influential teachers stays at the helm of the Cadets for another 30 years.

• Like 3

Tekk, do you atleast agree that GH does not belong as a program director?

I would be sad if GH stepped down as corps director, but I personally don't think he should be program director.

In some cases I do and some cases I don't. He had a hand in the 2000 show, the 2005 show as well as the 2011 show. Some cases his influence works and many cases it doesn't. But it is hard for me to conclude that he should absolutely not have a hand in designing the show because some of the shows he helped to design have won.

There you go again. WHERE DID I SAY YOU WERE A HATER??? I said you were getting defensive about what I said. How about you go back to my question about with whom you would replace GH.

Not gonna make this personal, Mike. I truly appreciate your experience in DCI and with cadets, jealous of it actually. I wish cadets the very best. That's all I want.

• Like 1

In some cases I do and some cases I don't. He had a hand in the 2000 show, the 2005 show as well as the 2011 show. Some cases his influence works and many cases it doesn't. But it is hard for me to conclude that he should absolutely not have a hand in designing the show because some of the shows he helped to design have won.

They won in a different era though apart from 2011. Even then, I think show design has evolved considerably since 2011

• Like 1

Not gonna make this personal, Mike. I truly appreciate your experience in DCI and with cadets, jealous of it actually. I wish cadets the very best. That's all I want.

Nothing about which to be jealous. I had to work just as I am sure most others who marched in drum corps had to do.

We can both agree that we want the best for Cadets.

• Like 1

They won in a different era though apart from 2011. Even then, I think show design has evolved considerably since 2011

True. Well maybe he will take a breather next year and leave it totally in the hands of the staff. We shall see.

• Like 1

For the critics on here, why don't you write GH with what you want to say? If you know it better, let him know. Please, take the effort from posting here and make it worth something.

I wrote him early last fall with a suggestion for a show. He responded. No, it's not the show they picked, but he listened, he offered his opinion and he was extremely considerate that I took the time to write.

• Like 1