Troopers 2016

Pretty sure the internet just got played by the Troopers. The notion that they pulled the uniform because of too much negativity is preposterous. Maybe that was the Ghost Rider version of the uniform....here one minute...gone the next.

I think, or at least would like to think, that the Troopers Drum and Bugle Corps has way too many things on its mind right now in preparing for the coming season, than to waste its time "playing" the internet.

• Like 1

If they wanted to take the picture down they can take the picture down. Who cares?

Can definitely think of quite a few uniforms I hated up close but loved from up top. I'm sure the Troopers have the latter in mind more than the former. I'm very interested to see it.

I like the show announcement and sections, but I really wished that they would have expanded the breast cancer section to include just cancer.

My mother recently passed away due to cancer ( hence why I haven't posted much on here in 6 months), and I know how much people suffer with all forms of cancer. It's still a bumpy ride...

I didn't get a chance to catch the uniform reveal, but I'm sure it will be great.

I think, or at least would like to think, that the Troopers Drum and Bugle Corps has way too many things on its mind right now in preparing for the coming season, than to waste its time "playing" the internet.

Yes....Because the same person that is in charge of their media, cooks, does finance, and plays lead trumpet. Give me a break. Maybe the goal wasn't to "waste time" but to get people all fired up. This thread is currently #2.

Pretty sure the internet just got played by the Troopers. The notion that they pulled the uniform because of too much negativity is preposterous. Maybe that was the Ghost Rider version of the uniform....here one minute...gone the next.

I've got to be honest, I was told 2-3 months ago that the troopers were going with a short sleeved uniform by a fried on staff with another corps who knows people connected. My reaction then is pretty much the same as when I saw the picture yesterday. I'm not sure I understand it and hopefully it makes sense with the show concept. There has to be a specific reason they did it other than doing it just to do it.

With Crown's snippet of music on their DCP thread and the blather about them doing a Western show, plus Troopers wearing cream unis and becoming the CreamTeam, have these two corps swapped places?

They both have Van Dorens doing their brass work instruction.

Here's the official corps announcement. More details, more explanation about the visual concept, and: White hats.

Sounds like it's going to be an emotional powerhouse. Troopers are working very hard to keep their DNA connected to programming that is relevant to a modern membership and audience. The kids choosing which corps to join were born in the Internet Age. Very excited to see what Troop does with this material.

I don't think Troop's western tradition and "modern membership" are mutually exclusive, honestly.

Mike

I don't think Troop's western tradition and "modern membership" are mutually exclusive, honestly.

Mike

No, you're correct, and that's the point. Or, perhaps more clearly stated, they shouldn't be mutually exclusive. But as plenty of other Troopers threads on these boards will attest, modern minds have a wide array of ideas of what "western tradition" actually means. To some, it is stuffy and ancient; to others, it is idealized and quaint; to still others, it is romantic; etc. Yet that's the identity the Troopers chose for themselves nearly 60 years ago. So it's a profound challenge to avoid alienation from a strong identity while appealing to modern sensibilities. Other corps are have broader programming canvas upon which to work, because their name, history, look, etc. don't evoke such specific ideas as do the Troopers. Bluecoats can turn on a dime, doing electronica one year and classical the next. Troopers work with a smaller canvas, and pushing the boundaries is a challenging task.

But you're right: There should be a way forward even for Troop, and there should be a way to keep their heritage engaged with the 21st Century. They seem to be very aware of that, and the 2016 program seems to be good evidence of it.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2

But you're right: There should be a way forward even for Troop, and there should be a way to keep their heritage engaged with the 21st Century. They seem to be very aware of that, and the 2016 program seems to be good evidence of it.

Based on a subset of the Alumni response over the weekend, it would appear neither uniform nor the programming will ever be appropriate. Same group showed their HLD after the 2012 season as I recall.

• Like 1