Stanford Band at it again...

My only issue with Stanford is they're not that funny.

Want to see funny? Try halftime at Columbia. Sports Illustrated labeled Columbia's marching band "The Cleverest Band in the World." It's true (the SI part and the cleverest part).

Whether it's the real deal (Columbia) or derivatives (Stanford), it's college humor and not at all the arrogance some would like to attribute. On the contrary, it is the definition of sophomoric.

A good example is this video (warning: vulgar language/themes) from "Orgo Night" when for more than half a century the Columbia band disrupts studying at the library at midnight before each semester's organic chemistry final (the high anxiety night of the year). You'll get a fair sense for the irreverent humor. Take it or leave it. I'll take it. You'll see their fellow students do too.

HH (proud former member of the Cleverest Band in the World)

Edited by glory
  • Like 2

My only issue with Stanford is they're not that funny.

Want to see funny? Try halftime at Columbia. Sports Illustrated labeled Columbia's marching band "The Cleverest Band in the World." It's true (the SI part and the cleverest part).

Whether it's the real deal (Columbia) or derivatives (Stanford), it's college humor and not at all the arrogance some would like to attribute. On the contrary, it is the definition of sophomoric.

A good example is this video (warning: vulgar language/themes) from "Orgo Night" when for more than half a century the Columbia band disrupts studying at the library at midnight before each semester's organic chemistry final (the high anxiety night of the year). You'll get a fair sense for the irreverent humor. Take it or leave it. I'll take it. You'll see their fellow students do too.

HH (proud former member of the Cleverest Band in the World)

Right with you, HH.

In my days at college, our version was for every brass and percussion major to haul stands, timpani, tam-tams, and bass drums to a low roof on the music building...and greet sunrise with "Fanfare for The Common Man." Never heard such language screamed out of windows at a Christian college....

Worked especially well on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

Let me share a couple of nuggets of "non-traditional" (read as: corps style) college bands folks might enjoy, since we've been talking about the equivalent of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 Marching Band. I sense some of you need and would enjoy some of these

[ . . . ]

I've never seen a college marching band do anything like that West Chester production: "La Mer" and "The Engulfed Cathedral" in a college show?!

Thanks for pointing us to both videos.

Apparently, The Rose Bowl is a home game for Stanford? They were banned from going to away games for this entire academic year (2015-2016) because of violations of the school's policies. See below:

The Stanford University marching band will not be allowed to travel to road games for one year after a university investigation found the band had violated multiple school policies, the school announced Friday [Editor’s note: Friday, March 2, 2015].

"Violations included a tradition in which a band member was given an alcoholic concoction intended to make that individual vomit publicly; an annual trip in which some band members used illegal substances; and a band selection process in which individuals were asked a number of inappropriate questions on sexual matters," the school said.

I grew up in a place and time where college marching band equaled the Georgia Redcoat Band and the Jacksonville State Marching Southerners. You won't find two better programs anywhere. JSU's long time director Dr. David Walters passed away last week, leaving behind a four decade legacy of turning out music educators, performers, and just plain fantastic people. THOSE are college bands. I just wish Cal's football team would run over the Stanford band EVERY year! :thumbdown:

Edited by Tenoris4Jazz

Apparently, The Rose Bowl is a home game for Stanford? They were banned from going to away games for this entire academic year (2015-2016) because of violations of the school's policies. See below:

The Stanford University marching band will not be allowed to travel to road games for one year after a university investigation found the band had violated multiple school policies, the school announced Friday [Editor’s note: Friday, March 2, 2015].

"Violations included a tradition in which a band member was given an alcoholic concoction intended to make that individual vomit publicly; an annual trip in which some band members used illegal substances; and a band selection process in which individuals were asked a number of inappropriate questions on sexual matters," the school said.

I grew up in a place and time where college marching band equaled the Georgia Redcoat Band and the Jacksonville State Marching Southerners. You won't find two better programs anywhere. JSU's long time director Dr. David Walters passed away last week, leaving behind a four decade legacy of turning out music educators, performers, and just plain fantastic people. THOSE are college bands. I just wish Cal's football team would run over the Stanford band EVERY year! :thumbdown:

yea no one in the Georgia or JSU bands drinks or smokes pot.

good post.

then wishing violence? really?

Yeah, I know probably as many people who find them entertaining as those who find them annoying (Or whatever adjective one wants to characterize them as).

Remember, they play rock charts almost exclusively, so they play popular music that fans/casual observers can get into (as opposed to even popular classical music like Copland or something that large swaths of a football crowd might find boring).

the average college football fan, you know those who see these bands most, IF they watch the band, only want loud and certain songs with meaning to pump up the crowd.

or to watch a sousa player bow

• Like 2

Interesting to mention the "other" WCU and its percussion- BITD I played in then ran the Tuba section (God help everyone on THAT!!!!), but we did have Tom Aungst, Bill Pease, and Ira Jolley on snare from the Cadets, and guys like Ed Watson on bass from Crossmen. Watching them was always wonderful. Never a problem with the battery, period.

The brass and guard also had its share of cats from DCA and DCI as well. We were a real bunch of mercenaries. :satisfied:

Both bands are excellent and very drum corps related in membership and faculty.

Both WCUs would blow Stanford right through the goal posts, and they are powerful, creative and entertaining for the average football fan.

As to why they were permitted to travel to the Rose Bowl in the midst of a one-year "ban" on road appearances (I had wondered about that, too), "That travel ban was in place for the entire Cardinal football season; with the team winning the Pac-12 and earning a spot in the Rose Bowl opposite Iowa, the band, Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News writes, “requested approval to attend the Rose Bowl based on progress in meeting expectations set by the university, according to a Stanford spokesperson, and the request was granted."

The Rose Bowl meanwhile apologized to offended fans and said "We will be reviewing our policies and procedures with regard to future band performances." Yadda yadda yadda.

from (with video link to high-cam recording of entire halftime show, not very good quality, as it's hard to see and hear the show well): http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/07/rose-bowl-officially-frowns-on-stanford-bands-halftime-performance/?cid=eref:nbcnews:text

The Rose Bowl and Tournament of Roses parade folks are known for having pretty traditional values that don't include arguably offensive marching band "humor," but they also want butts in the seats which means traveling marching bands and the friends and family they bring. It would take more than this, I think, to get them to ban a band. Stanford MB has notoriously been banned from numerous stadiums over the years, like rock bands that trashed hotels.

Edited by Peel Paint