2016 Rule Congress proposals

video recording technology has come a looooooooong way since 1999

YES! and the good ole' VHS tapes from 1989...haha

re: "A biennial event, the DCI Rules Congress is a process that is directed primarily by the participating drum corps. During scheduled sessions January 29 and 30 in Denver, drum corps instructors will meet by caption in individual caucus sessions to discuss the proposals. ..."

Several of the corps will also be having camps that same weekend (for instance: Cadets, etc.) Jim Jones Leadership weekend also happens often simultaneously when the Janual is occurring.

While I realize that some staffs are larger than others and some corps may send a representative voice for each caption to present the corps' opinion and vote, the coincidence of camps and events leads to two questions:

1. Are the discussions muted or lessened by the lack of all instructors/techs/ representatives sharing opinions or would techo media today allow one to participate/follow the discussion yet be contributing to a corps camp a thousand miles away? Some time "minor" techs have great ideas to contribute or feed a discussion.

2. What goes on at camp if key instructors and student leadership are elsewhere? Is the camp weekend of major contribution especially when you might have the winter weather conditions like Spirit of Atlanta experienced with its membership this past weekend?

Edited by xandandl

re: "A biennial event, the DCI Rules Congress is a process that is directed primarily by the participating drum corps. During scheduled sessions January 29 and 30 in Denver, drum corps instructors will meet by caption in individual caucus sessions to discuss the proposals. ..."

Several of the corps will also be having camps that same weekend (for instance: Cadets, etc.) Jim Jones Leadership weekend also happens often simultaneously when the Janual is occurring.

While I realize that some staffs are larger than others and some corps may send a representative voice for each caption to present the corps' opinion and vote, the coincidence of camps and events leads to two questions:

1. Are the discussions muted or lessened by the lack of all instructors/techs/ representatives sharing opinions or would techo media today allow one to participate/follow the discussion yet be contributing to a corps camp a thousand miles away? Some time "minor" techs have great ideas to contribute or feed a discussion.

2. What goes on at camp if key instructors and student leadership are elsewhere? Is the camp weekend of major contribution especially when you might have the winter weather conditions like Spirit of Atlanta experienced with its membership this past weekend?

I'm surprised that tele-conferencing hasn't been considered. Then again...maybe it has...and indeed takes place. I'm not "in-the-loop" -- and hence, most probably am just being the village idiot.

Edited by HornTeacher

Not sure this is a rule proposal, but wasn't there talk last summer about DCI instituting sun protection protocol? No shirtless, mandatory sunscreen? Any of this ring a bell?

Not sure this is a rule proposal, but wasn't there talk last summer about DCI instituting sun protection protocol? No shirtless, mandatory sunscreen? Any of this ring a bell?

Med committee has made separate presentation to the directors.

Search back a few DCP pages. There were a few threads discussing this around Sept. '15 or so.

That will happen the same time that hearing protection is required.

I agree though, I worry about the effects of the sun on these kids. You don't worry about things like this when you're young - but you sure do as a parent.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

I'm surprised that tele-conferencing hasn't been considered. Then again...maybe it has...and indeed takes place. I'm not "in-the-loop" -- and hence, most probably am just being the village idiot.

if it were just directors, I can see it. but for caucuses, the leadership stuff they've been doing, also for tour partners....ineffective