Blue Devils 2016

Contextually, the majority of the audience did not "get" what was going on with the narration, and as such, were put off by the show. The narration was actually from a movie that utilized ideas/language that were very specific to an event (dance-a-thons) and era that the audience was not familiar with. Consequently, the show design and execution annoyed most of the audience.

Too bad, really. It was a well designed show based on a James Logan show that Scott Chandler designed and won a gold medal with. I was on the "B" Corps staff that season and was frustrated that the general population did not get the context of the show.

Right. And people who didn't like Cadets 2012 just didn't understand that it was about Christmas.

• Like 2

No, you are referring to difficult to understand BD shows.

Haha I don't know what my post is about? Is that what you're saying? I was responding to a jsd post about the yowza show. The 2005 show. Singular. Not plural. Cappy, you little obfuscator!

Is there anyone here who was at the BD sneakbpeak show Saturday night. Can you share some thoughts on what you saw and heard, please. I am dying for details!!!!!!!

• Like 3

Is there anyone here who was at the BD sneakbpeak show Saturday night. Can you share some thoughts on what you saw and heard, please. I am dying for details!!!!!!!

We were sworn to secrecy and made to sign NDAs at the gate. If I told you, I'd have to kiss you. (You read that right).

Just kidding, I wasn't there.or was i?

Edited by NeutralNovice
  • Like 2

Interesting take. So you think people didn't like it because they didn't "get it." A little condescending if I may say so. It wasn't brain surgery. People got it. And didn't like it. It didn't work. That's my take.

Wow. Didn't mean it in a condescending way at all. Sorry you took it that way, and your response speaks volumes.

What I meant was that people did not get the context of the show. The vast majority of people viewing drum corps that year did not.

I never said it was "brain surgery". However, if you were not familiar with what the narration was referencing, then you flat out did not get it. Dislike all you want to, but the elements of art and principles of design do not change, and the Devs hit it on both elements that year.

Ignorance of the audience doesn't justify their likes or dislikes, plain and simple. They are free to their opinion, but it doesn't make it valid or correct. And, "ignorance" is just a word to describe something that people are not familiar with. Just wanted to make that clarification.

Edited by jsd

I don't necessarily think that's condescending. A big complaint about BD's recent shows from people is that they simply don't understand the show. They've gotten those type of complaints for 2010 and 2012 especially. It's not that far out of the realm to claim that those shows were disliked because people didn't understand them.

True. And, that is not a condescending statement against anyone.

Lots of folks didn't understand Star '93, but it still remains one of the greatest shows of all time.

We were sword to secrecy and made to sign NDAs at the gate. If I told you, I'd have to kiss you. (You read that right).

Just kidding, I wasn't there.or was i?

NeutralNovice Lol.. Do kiss and tell . well if you were there you could just say something about without giving anything away IF YOU WERE THERE :) but then you could PM me. Did it live up to what you expected ? Is it a beast or potential beat ? was the sound and music awesome ? will we be please ??? lol

Edited by theonlyfizzle

NeutralNovice Lol.. Do kiss and tell . well if you were there you could just say something about without giving anything away IF YOU WERE THERE :) but then you could PM me. Did it live up to what you expected ? Is it a beast or potential beat ? was the sound and music awesome ? will we be please ??? lol

Actually I didn't go.. I was trying to be cheeky. Sorry!! Where's flammaster when you need him?