Blue Devils 2016

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I love their current style and would love them to stay in this direction as long as possible

Leaders are, by definition, constantly reinventing their craft. Sameness leads to staleness.

Any artist that feels they have I figured out are already on the path to being forgotten.

While I certainly would not sign up for the hand wringing that is going on with cadets this year, I respect them for always trying to reinvent themselves and take risks. Sometimes risks bite you in the arse, and sometimes they rocket you to stardom. But leaders are always willing to risk failure for creative success.

• Like 2

So long Pete! I love 360 Thursdays but this one was sad. The explanations of the show make it so much more interesting to watch. Truly wonderful to witness.

I finally know what the girls in blue mean.

Leaders are, by definition, constantly reinventing their craft. Sameness leads to staleness.

Any artist that feels they have I figured out are already on the path to being forgotten.

While I certainly would not sign up for the hand wringing that is going on with cadets this year, I respect them for always trying to reinvent themselves and take risks. Sometimes risks bite you in the arse, and sometimes they rocket you to stardom. But leaders are always willing to risk failure for creative success.

You're adding your own connotations to the definition of a leader.

Leading does not necessarily mean leading in the direction of change. It could simply be leading in a certain direction, and BD is certainly a leader in what they specifically do.

You're adding your own connotations to the definition of a leader.

Leading does not necessarily mean leading in the direction of change. It could simply be leading in a certain direction, and BD is certainly a leader in what they specifically do.

Where did I say they should lead in the direction of the current changes? Quite the contrary, I would expect blue Devils to reinvent the medium entirely. Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2

The whole banana narrative is so hilarious. It was funny last year and the fact that it is brought back makes it even more fun. The whole 360 thing is just so fulfilling for me.

From the periscope video taken in Hattiesburg last night they took out my favorite part of their show. In the closer, the brass surrounded the battery in a circle and then marched across the field as one with the battery spinning in the middle. I loved that move.

I find the pedestrian grousing that BD is not being "risky" enough, is too "stale," or "formula" to be so bizarre. I'm not aware of any of their shows since 2008 where they purposely set out to BE something or other. This design team has a history of adapting their ideas to, in their view, best portray the story or concept they are trying to illustrate. Random running around to add to Absurdity, a cold and jarring tone for Glass, strange props, sound effects, unorthodox transitions, staging and equipment for Dada, primal dance based on the original choreography for Spring, more playfulness and melody for Ink, etc. etc.

If people have not been watching the Inside BD360 and Conversations videos, they need to. The creative team touches on the reasons behind everything they are doing in each part of the show, musically and visually. The latest one explains the Ariel section, including insight into the streamers on the sabers. Truly, everything is there for some purpose, whether you instantly get it or not.

No artistic leader sets out with the goal of "I'm going to do something fresh and different." Real artists approach an idea they want to express and come up with their own particular style of solution to it. This is absolutely the same thing the Bluecoats are doing. It's a further explorations of the concepts they started playing with in 2014. Each year has brought something new to the table, and this one is the most fully fleshed-out yet. Each corps will keep building on their distinctive approaches until they get a different idea they want to try.

• Like 5

Chandler has some great visions and he shares his ideas with the members. I would like to see more of his talks. Part of why they win so much is the whole idea of sharing the vision with everyone so they understand why they are doing it. it's not a because I said so thing. it's like a chef explaining to you exactly why you add the lemon at this time..."because it enhances this". the best part of tour is the explanations I get afterward of the show and other experiences.

• Like 3

Take all three shows...BD, Bluecoats and Crown. All three executed well on finals night....and BD is third based on a stale design concept. What saved them last year was execution. I am not even sure that could do it this year. Just sayin...and I certainly could be wrong.

Edited by auldschool