Blue Devils 2016

Naw, disagree. There is a lot of nuance and detail in the design that you may be missing. Some areas need improvement, but it is a strong overall package. If any of the three is "stale," I would vote for Crown. The visual design is not as interesting as last year's show at all. They play well, spin well, and now drum well, but the pacing is questionable. A lot of stops and starts.

BD and BC have the two strongest designs, but they are so completely different that it really will come down to who nails it best at finals.

The classic BD spin of I’m missing the details?

OK, I’m an idiot then, thanks

Have you seen the show live? I have. I ask because I’d like to know you perspective on reading the GE of the show.

Few obvious design issues, the flags being spun in the panels – busy fabric on busy fabric, lacks clarity, so sloppy (this is your thing, right?)

The white boat held up at the end is laughable – I expect it to be changed but any other corps doing a nautical show trying to drive home the theme at the climax /end by holding up a white toy boat would be laughed off the field and mocked...'look it's a boat...we just did a sea show...love me, I'm BD' ...more so since the boat is not the type we would have seen in the era of Shakespeare. Just saying, details matter, right? But hey, Blue Devils are deep…as deep as their Shakespeare theme which is grossly underdeveloped to being merely decorative. And the panels are poorly stage, why do they need to shrink the field, the lack of field coverage of BD should catch up to them. Will it?

BD’s staging became dated too. Crown has far better staging. Their visual has a complete macro-arc that follows the stage coach, thus journey across the field left to right, similar the Regiment 2010. Within that they feature sections, story and movements through traditional staging double bonus points. Their body work visuals much better support their theme.

Bluecoats have multiple stagings which lead to quick transitions, one set is being started as the other wraps up, the visual transitions are rapid fire, less down time. BD is still just staging feature to feature it seems s l o w, often detailing with the same tired visual moves from years past….the opening drill of a line running to their spot is re-used, as is chucking rifles from up high, as is their stutter skip step, as is their strut, as is carrying the guard member overhead (even the guard uni looks like their re-write /2013 outfit) then their one dimensional guard that once again explores the 5 types of sexy is so tried its bordering on insulting (it’s time to grow up BD,). So many of their effects are copped from their other shows, they fail as unique effects. Over all, the BD show strikes me as the Cadets Christmas show…nothing new, just a repackaged production hacked together with a new coat of paint / theme; Sexy Guard Steam Boats in Shakespeare smocks, Awesome !!!

yawn

• Like 1

OK, I’m an idiot then, thanks

Have you seen the show live? I have. I ask because I’d like to know you perspective on reading the GE of the show.

Few obvious design issues, the flags being spun in the panels – busy fabric on busy fabric, lacks clarity, so sloppy (this is your thing, right?)

The white boat held up at the end is laughable – I expect it to be changed but any other corps doing a nautical show trying to drive home the theme at the climax /end by holding up a white toy boat would be laughed off the field and mocked...'look it's a boat...we just did a sea show...love me, I'm BD' ...more so since the boat is not the type we would have seen in the era of Shakespeare. Just saying, details matter, right? But hey, Blue Devils are deep…as deep as their Shakespeare theme which is grossly underdeveloped to being merely decorative. And the panels are poorly stage, why do they need to shrink the field, the lack of field coverage of BD should catch up to them. Will it?

BD’s staging became dated too. Crown has far better staging. Their visual has a complete macro-arc that follows the stage coach, thus journey across the field left to right, similar the Regiment 2010. Within that they feature sections, story and movements through traditional staging double bonus points. Their body work visuals much better support their theme.

Bluecoats have multiple stagings which lead to quick transitions, one set is being started as the other wraps up, the visual transitions are rapid fire, less down time. BD is still just staging feature to feature it seems s l o w, often detailing with the same tired visual moves from years past….the opening drill of a line running to their spot is re-used, as is chucking rifles from up high, as is their stutter skip step, as is their strut, as is carrying the guard member overhead (even the guard uni looks like their re-write /2013 outfit) then their one dimensional guard that once again explores the 5 types of sexy is so tried its bordering on insulting (it’s time to grow up BD,). So many of their effects are copped from their other shows, they fail as unique effects. Over all, the BD show strikes me as the Cadets Christmas show…nothing new, just a repackaged production hacked together with a new coat of paint / theme; Sexy Guard Steam Boats in Shakespeare smocks, Awesome !!!

yawn

You're a classic example of why discussing GE is a near pointless endeavor on this board. It's completely subjective and heavily influenced by individual biases for or against a corps. You're clearly not a fan a BD I general and I'm sure you'd have a problem with anything they put on the field.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is what the JUDGES think, not any of us. By that regard, BD is doing just fine in GE.

• Like 4

<snip>

Oh my! I agree that the silks spinning on the panels are too busy, but since this feature is fairly recent, I'm hoping (and expect) they will change them by the end of the season. They are too good to not be aware of the issue. It's way less sloppy than the first time they attempted it. It is also very tough, as if their planes (spinning blind through the fabric) get off even slightly, the pole hits the prop and they either lose time or drop the whole thing. Not easy.

They start out with the boat in rough seas and it ends in smooth and joyous seas. It is crude-looking up close, but the general shape is fairly period-accurate. The whole show is stylized. They didn't wear reeboks in the time of Shakespeare...

Rest of the post...MEOW. You don't like them or their style. We get it. Whew.

• Like 5

A couple more paragraphs than I would have wasted that is for sure.

I think they said on 360 or the tour report there is going to be work done on the closer. idk something about an RC boat or something?!?!?! Maybe a battleship on wheels perhaps. :tounge2:

I think some are forgetting that BD is about to put it into overdrive and take it to the nth degree in everything as the season is coming to a close.

I've see a few say BD is done and out of the race for gold. But, honestly, we all know BD knows best about what to do to win it.

I think some are forgetting that BD is about to put it into overdrive and take it to the nth degree in everything as the season is coming to a close.

I've see a few say BD is done and out of the race for gold. But, honestly, we all know BD knows best about what to do to win it.

Exactly. Can Crown and Coats out execute BD when it counts the most? They are certainly are most capable! But it's not gonna be easy. Anyone who thinks the champs are gonna lay down and give the title up are crazy. Crown/Coats are gonna have to earn it.

• Like 1

Given last night's result, that statement is pretty ridiculous, whoever made it.