Drum Corps shows that could have won

On the subject of Bluecoats 2007...I don't think that show should have won or even been top 3, but I consider that show possibly the most egregiously underrated and under-scored of all time.

Agree. Coats 2007 were not going to be top 3. They ran 4th place most of the year. They did manage to beat all the top corps at least once. Ultimately their marching and visual let them down. They took high brass in quarter finals, their percussion finished 3rd at finals, but the feet were still sloppy and cleaner shows finally passed them.

I believe had the Blue Devils done BK 2014 it could have won.

Then again, BD could win with a lot of shows.

Edited by cube

So many corps could have won titles, either in the year they competed or another year.

The most obvious to me, as others have mentioned, are:

1970s

• 1972 Blue Stars
  • 1979 Phantom Regiment

1980s

• 27th Lancers 1980 - They won DCI East and then fell to 2nd a week later in Birmingham, AL. A fabulous, forward-looking show, the 27th Lancers were innovative and a fan favorite. They could have easily won.
  • 1984 Blue Devils (I honestly feel 84 BD and Garfield would have beaten any corps/champion from any year of the 80s) I know many feel 86 BD was better. Not me. BD and Garfield Cadets in 1984 were the "bomb."
  • **1987 Santa Clara Vanguard - left this off on my first post. A big mistake. Obviously that show could have won in 87 and many other years. A stellar production filled with costuming, props done right, staging, great visual, and a music book for the ages. SCV and Garfield 1987 are just about right there with BD and Garfield 1984. Still some of the best 80s shows you can watch. Timeless classics for sure.
  • 1988 Blue Devils - although I put 84 BD over this show, slightly, 1988 Blue Devils were the top dog all summer and I am still stunned they dropped to 3rd come finals. As an aside, many feel SCV of 1988 could have won and I do not. I thought they got a bit of a gift and jumped BD for 2nd. To me they had a fabulous show but it belonged in 3rd and I never saw it as a threat for no. 1.

1990s

• 1990 Star of Indiana - They took 3rd, and the Cadets polished their show and won with Cavaliers 2nd. But Star 1990 might have beaten a number of champions in the 80s and 90s. The show is a masterpiece and 3rd place feels underscored to me.
  • 1992 Cadets - Started too slow and took all summer to polish that show. They had the show, the music, the GE, the fabulous guard (and those outfits....ah, just fabulous). Ended in 2nd and were still sloppy.
  • 1992 Star of Indiana - also could have easily won. They won quarters. Were the dominant corps all summer. In the end I think some of the GE and some visual stuff got them.
  • 1993 Star of Indiana - THE 800 LB Gorilla IN THE ROOM. No doubt, this show gets referenced a lot. It's a monster. It's cutting edge, innovative, contemporary, brilliantly designed, and fabulously performed. Sadly it rained at Finals that year and both Star and Cadets gave sloppy performances. Both corps were amazing, but clean and polished Star 1993 (which is what they were most of the season) would have beat any champion from any year in the 80s or 90s. There is a reason we discuss them to this day. They have had a great influence on the activity, including the many marching members of that corps who are now instructors with Crown, Cadets, and many more.
  • 1995 Cadets or Blue Devils - either could have won. But Cavaliers cleaned their visual the best.
  • 1996 The Cadets - This show gets forgotten. A fabulous western-themed show by Cadets that summer. They looked like early leaders, even beating Blue Devils at DATR. Coming down the stretch it looked like BD and Cadets would duke it out, but Cadets had to perform for the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. That time away from the normal grind may have hurt. However, at semi-finals they were .3 behind BD with a chance to jump ahead at Finals. They performed well but had a bad musical tear in the show and it was enough to cost them. Additionally, Phantom Regiment had a clean and electric performance of their masterpiece and jumped 2 spots to tie BD.

2000 - 2009

• 2007 The Cadets - easily could have won. They won the big regional at Stanford just the week before Finals in Pasadena. They were actually considered the favorites coming into Quarters. They performed amazingly at semis and finals, and even Dennis Delucia thought they won. Not sure if it was the narration, as some suggest, but I don't believe they got the visual score they deserved. Nothing against BD in 2007 (a fabulous show) but the Cadets were the best performers on the field that summer.
  • 2008 Blue Devils - Clearly the favorites all summer. Easily could have won. Some would argue they should have, but to me Phantom Regiment has one of the best shows I've ever seen. I think design beat out execution that year.

2010 - 2015

• 2011 Blue Devils - Had Cadets fell apart a little I think BD would have easily won. A great show with fun music, but their closer never found its groove like the rest of the show.
  • 2012 Carolina Crown - I didn't care for BD that year. Talented corps, but that show was dull and a bit too "out there." Crown with just a few adjustments might have won.
  • 2013 The Cadets - yes they took 3rd, but that music ensemble that year was INCREDIBLE!!!! 2nd in brass (to a fabulous Crown line) and 1st in percussion and 1st in overall music ensemble. They marched their tootsies off and I'm not sure they were fully rewarded for that. Sadly they messed around with lackluster props and never fully brought that theme to life. Had they done so they could have contended, and certainly could have won other years in the 2000s.
  • 2014 - um, no. Nobody had a chance. :)
  • The Cadets, Bluecoats, and Crown all could have won in 2015. No dominant corps that year. BD was younger and had to make lots of changes. Cadets won a few regionals, Crown did, and Bloo and BD were close in each. The top 4 were often only separated by 1.5 points at various times. It all came down to changes, tweaks, and cleaning. In the end, Crown almost had that magic formula, but BD punched their ticket again with their best performance of the summer. By the way, I think Blue Devils 2015 is my favorite BD show since 1994. INK was totally amazing!!!

Just my 2 cents. :)

** Edited to add SCV 1987

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

So many corps could have won titles, either in the year they competed or another year.

The most obvious to me, as others have mentioned, are:

1970s

• 1972 Blue Stars
  • 1979 Phantom Regiment
1980s
  • 27th Lancers 1980 - They won DCI East and then fell to 2nd a week later in Birmingham, AL. A fabulous, forward-looking show, the 27th Lancers were innovative and a fan favorite. They could have easily won.
  • 1984 Blue Devils (I honestly feel 84 BD and Garfield would have beaten any corps/champion from any year of the 80s) I know many feel 86 BD was better. Not me. BD and Garfield Cadets in 1984 were the "bomb."
  • 1988 Blue Devils - although I put 84 BD over this show, slightly, 1988 Blue Devils were the top dog all summer and I am still stunned they dropped to 3rd come finals. As an aside, many feel SCV of 1988 could have won and I do not. I thought they got a bit of a gift and jumped BD for 2nd. To me they had a fabulous show but it belonged in 3rd and I never saw it as a threat for no. 1.
1990s
  • 1990 Star of Indiana - They took 3rd, and the Cadets polished their show and won with Cavaliers 2nd. But Star 1990 might have beaten a number of champions in the 80s and 90s. The show is a masterpiece and 3rd place feels underscored to me.
  • 1992 Cadets - Started too slow and took all summer to polish that show. They had the show, the music, the GE, the fabulous guard (and those outfits....ah, just fabulous). Ended in 2nd and were still sloppy.
  • 1992 Star of Indiana - also could have easily won. They won quarters. Were the dominant corps all summer. In the end I think some of the GE and some visual stuff got them.
  • 1993 Star of Indiana - THE 800 LB Gorilla IN THE ROOM. No doubt, this show gets referenced a lot. It's a monster. It's cutting edge, innovative, contemporary, brilliantly designed, and fabulously performed. Sadly it rained at Finals that year and both Star and Cadets gave sloppy performances. Both corps were amazing, but clean and polished Star 1993 (which is what they were most of the season) would have beat any champion from any year in the 80s or 90s. There is a reason we discuss them to this day. They have had a great influence on the activity, including the many marching members of that corps who are now instructors with Crown, Cadets, and many more.
  • 1995 Cadets or Blue Devils - either could have won. But Cavaliers cleaned their visual the best.
  • 1996 The Cadets - This show gets forgotten. A fabulous western-themed show by Cadets that summer. They looked like early leaders, even beating Blue Devils at DATR. Coming down the stretch it looked like BD and Cadets would duke it out, but Cadets had to perform for the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. That time away from the normal grind may have hurt. However, at semi-finals they were .3 behind BD with a chance to jump ahead at Finals. They performed well but had a bad musical tear in the show and it was enough to cost them. Additionally, Phantom Regiment had a clean and electric performance of their masterpiece and jumped 2 spots to tie BD.
2000 - 2009
  • 2007 The Cadets - easily could have won. They won the big regional at Stanford just the week before Finals in Pasadena. They were actually considered the favorites coming into Quarters. They performed amazingly at semis and finals, and even Dennis Delucia thought they won. Not sure if it was the narration, as some suggest, but I don't believe they got the visual score they deserved. Nothing against BD in 2007 (a fabulous show) but the Cadets were the best performers on the field that summer.
  • 2008 Blue Devils - Clearly the favorites all summer. Easily could have won. Some would argue they should have, but to me Phantom Regiment has one of the best shows I've ever seen. I think design beat out execution that year.
2010 - 2015
  • 2011 Blue Devils - Had Cadets fell apart a little I think BD would have easily won. A great show with fun music, but their closer never found its groove like the rest of the show.
  • 2012 Carolina Crown - I didn't care for BD that year. Talented corps, but that show was dull and a bit too "out there." Crown with just a few adjustments might have won.
  • 2013 The Cadets - yes they took 3rd, but that music ensemble that year was INCREDIBLE!!!! 2nd in brass (to a fabulous Crown line) and 1st in percussion and 1st in overall music ensemble. They marched their tootsies off and I'm not sure they were fully rewarded for that. Sadly they messed around with lackluster props and never fully brought that theme to life. Had they done so they could have contended, and certainly could have won other years in the 2000s.
  • 2014 - um, no. Nobody had a chance. :)
  • The Cadets, Bluecoats, and Crown all could have won in 2015. No dominant corps that year. BD was younger and had to make lots of changes. Cadets won a few regionals, Crown did, and Bloo and BD were close in each. The top 4 were often only separated by 1.5 points at various times. It all came down to changes, tweaks, and cleaning. In the end, Crown almost had that magic formula, but BD punched their ticket again with their best performance of the summer. By the way, I think Blue Devils 2015 is my favorite BD show since 1994. INK was totally amazing!!!
Just my 2 cents. :)

Disagree on Crown 2012. That show was simply too dirty to win a championship.

Solid choice with Santa Clara 1987, especially pointing out the Cossack hats. Uniforms fitting the theme of the show has been happening for longer than we think!

I bought one of those Cossack Hats as a souvenir! Awesome souvenir too.

Oh wow....you rate 84 above 86 and 88?? Thanks!

Might I ask WHY, exactly? My only year rarely gets any real level of discussion.

I mean, with the exception of the New York Fantasy tag ending, it was the first year BD did not repeat a previous chart...

• Like 1

Oh wow....you rate 84 above 86 and 88?? Thanks!

Might I ask WHY, exactly? My only year rarely gets any real level of discussion.

I mean, with the exception of the New York Fantasy tag ending, it was the first year BD did not repeat a previous chart...

I know many would disagree. 1986 and 1988 had more movement, and both are spectacular shows. I used to think 1988 BD was the best of the 80s and somehow ended up in 3rd. I still think that show would beat most corps in the 80s. Garfield 1987 was also one of those shows I felt would be tough to top, but it was a bit more dirty than their 1985 or 84 productions. In the end I settled on BD 1984 and Garfield 1984 as the best of the 80s. Both corps were astonishing in many ways. I think people today would still be blown away by those music books.

In the spirit of that, Bluecoats 2007 early in the season before they watered it down and dropped to 7th. I'd also add 2007 Regiment from that year, the flocking and pit were great

Fourth through seventh place in 2007 were separated by just eight tenths (with Bluecoats' "Criminal" still the highest-scoring seventh-place show ever, I think, having edged out Madison's 1989 show for that honor), and that Regiment show is soooo good. I could play their Firebird closer on repeat and repeat and repeat. When they break from that block at a run and the sound drops not a whit, and then that horn blast like a call from heaven--fantastic!

• Like 1

Fourth through seventh place in 2007 were separated by just eight tenths (with Bluecoats' "Criminal" still the highest-scoring seventh-place show ever, I think, having edged out Madison's 1989 show for that honor), and that Regiment show is soooo good. I could play their Firebird closer on repeat and repeat and repeat. When they break from that block at a run and the sound drops not a whit, and then that horn blast like a call from heaven--fantastic!

That entire PR show is in my top 10 all time listened to shows. So awesome!