Drenched in DeKalb

I have to disagree bigtime. To me this is the weakest BD design since 2011. The drill is just average, the guard gets lost in several places and the percussion solo just lays there visually. And the little sailboat? Seems like the design staff kind of ran out of ideas and just repurposed some prior year's content. The music is solid though I will say that. I have liked their shows since 2012...this one falls short though for me.

You mean Shakespeare ran out of ideas, ya? The boat is an essential part of The Tempest...

Have to disagree. For years I have said the same things about BD. I've finally accepted the fact that BD is just solid - in all captions. I think BD wins by AT LEAST a point tonight, and runs the table this season. I'm more curious about SCV, Crown and Bluecoats - to see where they end up tonight.

We'll see...you can have a down year you know. And this is it I think. Those backdrops...you think those are effective? The guard gets lost in front of them. And the drill in the percussion feature doesn't go anywhere. And the guard in the ballad could be great but they don't maximize that moment. Plus, the brass really struggle to play that ballad in tune and with a good quality of sound. I could be wrong...but BD has had some great shows...and this one falls short for me.

• Like 1

We'll see...you can have a down year you know. And this is it I think. Those backdrops...you think those are effective? The guard gets lost in front of them. And the drill in the percussion feature doesn't go anywhere. And the guard in the ballad could be great but they don't maximize that moment. Plus, the brass really struggle to play that ballad in tune and with a good quality of sound. I could be wrong...but BD has had some great shows...and this one falls short for me.

aka "I'm rooting for Crown"

(teasing!)

I disagree. Prior to the year I thought BD was due for an "off year" - but now I'm not so sure (just based on videos admittedly) - I will get to see them (and others) in San Antonio on Saturday - so it's just a hunch right now, but I don't see a weakness in that corps and the DCI visual/GE community LOVES their WGI design approach. BD & Coats seem to have the edge in that perspective, IMO

• Like 2

All tonight's results will bring is EVERYONE whose corps doesn't win will be saying "it's a TOC show. Scores mean nothing until SA."

You can add in diminishing whatever captions their favorite corps doesn't win acting as if those captions never meant anything to make themselves feel better.

• Like 1

All tonight's results will bring is EVERYONE whose corps doesn't win will be saying "it's a TOC show. Scores mean nothing until SA."

I'm preemptively saying it now before any scores are announced: I'm taking any scores from TOC shows with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

Lol...yeah that little boat does really tie the show together;)

Nah, just the part where the entire corps is simulating waves causing a shipwreck, in the opening of the show, which is when you see the boat, *sarcastic wink*. It's how the play famously starts.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

(teasing!)

I disagree. Prior to the year I thought BD was due for an "off year" - but now I'm not so sure (just based on videos admittedly) - I will get to see them (and others) in San Antonio on Saturday - so it's just a hunch right now, but I don't see a weakness in that corps and the DCI visual/GE community LOVES their WGI design approach. BD & Coats seem to have the edge in that perspective, IMO

Nah...I'm not rooting for anyone. Crown has flaws in that show too. Too much scatter drill and the effect is lacking in some places. BD has weaknesses most definitely...and the show design overall is the biggest one imo. Coats probably have the most complete design overall other than the ending.

(teasing!)

I've said it before, BD's show just doesn't do anything for me minus the ballad. However, They're still really #### good. Not every show is liked by everyone. However, I will say that BD's performance levels, whether I like the show or not, are phenomenal and THAT I CAN appreciate!

• Like 1