So 2017 is your age out year, with whom do you want to march?

I am not currently marching, but I do have a few years left. That being said, if next year was my last year, it'd be a hard choice between BAC, BK, and BD. I love Boston, and there is a lot of wonderful things going on there (even if the scores aren't reflecting it). I have been drawn to BK since 2011 (first year I actually was invested in DCI). And who wouldn't love to march BD? Such a consistently fantastic design, and a positive approach to their culture of excellence.

• Like 1

Madison. While I aged out there, after marching two other places, had I started there, I'd have likely never changed. It was an amazing experience.

But I also missed the chance to march the original JCSS show.

Edited by C.Holland

I'm purely a spectator (and crappy guitar player). So, I'd actually choose to be a support member. For the Cadets. So I can watch the show grow and how the staff and writers work their magic with the members. Rocky Point was my "gateway drug" to DCI. Who knows, maybe when I retire and have the means and the time I can volunteer.

• Like 1

BD for me. 60th anniversary in 2017. You know their show is gonna be explosive next year.

But be honest, you would choose BD under any circumstance.

I'd say it would be a toss up between Bluecoats and BD, mostly because you know you are going to do something unique, and because you would have completel confidence that everyone above you in the organization would plan out and carefully execute every single detail. Crown would be a close third, but their show concepts are by design pretty straight down the middle.

I can't imagine anything better than to be on the field performing and seeing the crowd stand up and cheer in middle of your show, and then give you a rock star standing ovation at the end. Win or lose the gold, it's been quite a ride for the team in Canton over the last three years. And since I grew up in Ohio, it would be awesome to get to perform in front of my family and high school friends a few times on home turf...especially when that home turf is the Akron stadium! Maybe, almost certainly, the best performance venue in DCI.

Vanguard would be a great experience, but personally I would rather march with a corps that really tries to push the boundaries of staging and dramatic performance.

Love and respect Cavaliers, but would prefer to have show concepts that were better executed with a mixed gender corps.

I would love to say Cadets, but it's very clear their shows and organization are so iffy in terms of what to expect. Too mercurial for my last year in DCI. You might get The Zone or Angels and Demons...or you might get to learn an entire new show at mid season!

I do think it would be hard to be making this decision with a "second tier corps," knowing you might be the first class to win a medal in the history of their organization.

• Like 3

I wouldn't trade my age out year for a world class championship ring with any corps. 1993 Blue Stars was a hopeless tiny div 3 corps at the beginning of the season that overcame and won with a show that by all rights was way out of our league. We lived the meaning of FCO that summer. Best summer of my life. However, if I were to march 2017, well, you know.

Edited by BozzlyB
  • Like 1

I wouldn't trade my age out year for a world class championship ring with any corps. 1993 Blue Stars was a hopeless tiny div 3 corps at the beginning of the season that overcame and won with a show that by all rights was way out of our league. We lived the meaning of FCO that summer. Best summer of my life. However, if I were to march 2017, well, you know.

That's kind of my son's experience with OC and likely why he remained loyal to them throughout his marching years. In the five years he marched they went from an under-100-member open class underdog to open class world champion to fielding a 150 member world class corps. Just watching the organization explode the way it did was awe inspiring.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 2