DCI Eastern Classic - Saturday Aug. 6, 2016

Pacific Crest was...fine. I didn't get much "railroad" from the music...but I'm also the son of a railroader, so I'm picky when it comes to my railroad things. Well performed, and the Metheny at the end was a nice addition. Just...didn't do much for me.

Curious (if you've seen it) what you thought about the show by The Woodlands High School that won BOA a couple years ago with a heavy railroad theme.

• Like 1

Yet another reason to scrap electronics altogether.

Horses are completely out of the barn on that. Give it up.

They shoot horses, don't they?

• Like 1

Curious (if you've seen it) what you thought about the show by The Woodlands High School that won BOA a couple years ago with a heavy railroad theme.

I've heard about it, but didn't see it. If anyone has a video link, I'd be glad to give it a gander.

Also, someone remind me to put money on a Houston-area school winning BOA in 2023. Seems to be like clockwork (Spring in '93, Westfield in '03, Woodlands in '13)...

EDIT: I have now watched it. That was a perfectly fine train show.

Of the train shows I've seen live, the best is probably Troop '08. Including video, nothing holds a candle to BD '04.

Edited by ftwdrummer

As much as I appreciate this, and as much as I wasn't thrilled with their choice of story all summer (I live a mile from Pulse and was personally affected by the shootings), I couldn't help feeling tonight that this new ending was simply not as effective as the old.

Whether I liked it or not, there was more clarity in the previous version. The new one seems a bit mushy, partly because of how it is staged with the big granting of mercy taking place in a confusing gaggle of guard people. The old verison was crystal clear on top of the stagecoach. BANG - got him. Paybacks a b*tch.

Now - harder to quickly grasp what is going on, with several characters and a lot of rushed acting.

So I was in the audience tonight and have seen both endings live. With that said, the new ending is much more emotional and got the crowd on their feet quicker than the old one.

Have you seen the new ending live or just from the webcast? If not, then I would suggest seeing it live, as their are very intricate things going on that will most likely be missed by the cameras. For instance, all of the rifles hit the ground at one time in unison when the color guard is in a circle near the stagecoach, of which makes a very crisp pop/snap. Did the camera pick that sound effect up?

Also, IMHO Crown has a stronger show than the BD and will ultimately be the 2nd place finalist. One of the audience members I was sitting near was spreading a rumor claiming he is close with the staff that said that they are not done yet with changes. So as much as I can guess what is to come, none of us will know if any of it matters until Saturday.

Crown needs to go back to the shooting. It's much better in terms of crowd reaction.

Gold may be important but having every person in Lucas Oil on their feet feels a lot more important.

As much as I appreciate this, and as much as I wasn't thrilled with their choice of story all summer (I live a mile from Pulse and was personally affected by the shootings), I couldn't help feeling tonight that this new ending was simply not as effective as the old.

Whether I liked it or not, there was more clarity in the previous version. The new one seems a bit mushy, partly because of how it is staged with the big granting of mercy taking place in a confusing gaggle of guard people. The old verison was crystal clear on top of the stagecoach. BANG - got him. Paybacks a b*tch.

Now - harder to quickly grasp what is going on, with several characters and a lot of rushed acting.

Giant rifle drill set...all 40 guard members pointing rifles...girl gets in between and says no...rifles flung away...bad guy doesn't die. What do you want a libretto? They can't spoon feed it too much more. And you have to think a little bit...that's a good thing right:) Edited by auldschool
  • Like 2

I've watched it all season with a camera providing closeups and I still can't always tell who is who. I can recognize the guy, but would not be able to pick the lead female out of a lineup. I'm a bit surprised they haven't added some costume emphasis to each of them to make this more apparent to the first-time viewer.

These are my wife's feelings exactly. If you are not watching multicam or going to be in the upper deck in LOS it is just hard to pick anything out especially with the new ending. I think the actors (at least son and Roxy) are intergrated in the guard the rest of the show and don't want them being a distraction when they are not in the storyline. Edited by mountaineers97

Crown needs to go back to the shooting. It's much better in terms of crowd reaction.

Gold may be important but having every person in Lucas Oil on their feet feels a lot more important.

Crown could go out, play a series of scales, and leave, and the crowd at Indy will still be on their feet!

• Like 3

I have finally learned something over this season. I do not believe that this season has been down in score. I believe it has been the quality of each corps. Even pioneer will bring some fire next week. I cannot wait.

I see what you did there. I really like Pioneer's show, too.

Giant rifle drill set...all 40 guard members pointing rifles...girl gets in between and says no...rifles flung away...bad guy doesn't die. What do you want a libretto? They can't spoon feed it too much more. And you have to think a little bit...that's a good thing right:)

There's nothing to think about if the camera doesn't show 75% of that. What made it to the close-up was a dropped gun and a mob of guard people surrounding the villian. Hopefully they will improve how to capture it before the theater broadcast, since the majority of fans will see it that way, rather than live. As it was filmed yesterday, the old version was easier to read, mainly due to the main action happening up on top of the coach.