Staff merri-go-round

I think that was Bluecoats success. They scrapped the unis and the design team went wild. Can Cadets, Madison, Boston really do that? Are some corps limited by tradition? SCV was great this year but traditional and a very solid 4th...

I'm not so sure, outside of the cymbal V at the end, that SCV was what you would call super traditional.

I'm not so sure, outside of the cymbal V at the end, that SCV was what you would call super traditional.

Fairly Traditional

...however, he [GH] has never had this many resignations in one year. This is unprecedented at the Cadets. That said, those that believe these staff changes will automatically lead to a Cadets placement plummet of 6, 7 placement positions in 2017 for the Cadets is not something I share at all.

I think the reason people feel the corps will drop a few spots or more has to do with common perceptions about instructor vs. recruit. There is a large contingent of folks who believe that the best talent follows the best instruction. I'm sure this happens quite a bit, and for 2 main reasons: 1) young marchers want the best training and the best experience, and 2) they want to win or at least be in the game.

Not all marchers care about the winning. Placement is fun and a nice challenge, but there are many marchers that are more worried about quality of show, excellent teaching so they can better perform, and a great summer experience with a corps they love. For some, marching the corps of their dreams is more important than following instructors to various cities every time a change is made. For those that want to march with the Maroon & Gold (providing Cadets wear that uni) I doubt staff changes matter as much to them. I believe they trust that the executive director will bring in good new teachers. Same at Crown.

The other thing people forget, or perhaps they simply don't see the numbers as I do, is that there is PLENTY of talent to go around. Cadets and Crown have had audition camps that have brought in hundreds of kids, as has Boston. With some key staff moving from Cadets and Crown up to Boston does that really mean that all the kids on the Eastern seaboard will go audition for Boston and none for Cadets or Crown? No. There are simply too many talented kids on the Eastern seaboard alone (not to mention other parts of the country) that are looking for a place to march. If they feel they are ready to tackle a group with the stature of Cadets and Crown then you better believe they will show for auditions. If they have a long-time love for those corps then they will show. Cadets and Crown will continue to get hundreds of talented kids to come out for auditions, as will Boston and many others.

A lot of good things can happen when you give young, up-and-coming instructors a lot of talent to work with.

• Like 2

I think that was Bluecoats success. They scrapped the unis and the design team went wild. Can Cadets, Madison, Boston really do that? Are some corps limited by tradition? SCV was great this year but traditional and a very solid 4th...

From what I see, part of Cadets issue is that they have been scraping tradition when tradition worked well for them. For Madison, is tradition really what is holding them back? In both cases, it seems the bigger issues have more to do with behind the scenes matters, which probably has more to do with resignations by Cadets staff than invitations from other corps to join their staff.

With Boston Crusaders, we may be seeing something very different happening. Boston Crusaders has worked tirelessly at strengthening the organization financially, connecting alums to the corps but not allowing alums to dictate every move the corps makes, and making fans feel as if they are part of the success. Now that they have built this stronger structure, they are ready to catapult the corps into a more competitive position. I don't think tradition will hold them back. For Boston Crusaders, tradition involves grit and perseverance more than a style of a show. This is the first time in many years, perhaps since Cadets or Cavies ascended in the 1980's we've seen so many top people leave corps top placing corps and not move to another top corps. If they are successful in making BAC a powerhouse, this will burst the theory that only certain corps can win and would have an impact on corps such as Crossmen, Academy, Blue Stars, etc. we could be seeing a whole new era in drum corps beginning.

The top staff all just got more expensive and the divide widen.

Curious to see how Boston does, several of their past few shows the design was above the members head so the issue was performance and instruction, wonder if that will change or if the team will write down to the current talent they attract. This year was an exception as they were cleaner with a weaker design

fun stuff, 7-10 better be on the game next year

• Like 1

Presenting their 2017 production " Boston is buying it like the Yankees...."

.....Thats a mighty fine spin from you today, Jeff.

nah they are going to start a DCA corps called B2

The B2 Bombers ?

BRASSO, on 25 Aug 2016 - 9:35 PM, said:snapback.png

...however, he [GH] has never had this many resignations in one year. This is unprecedented at the Cadets

In perspective, this is not the Star of Indiana emptying of the late 80's but rather, in the words of some alums, a return to 1980: interested kids, building a staff from scratch with all captions seeing serious changes. May it be as successful as that was.

• Like 1

From what I see, part of Cadets issue is that they have been scraping tradition when tradition worked well for them. For Madison, is tradition really what is holding them back? In both cases, it seems the bigger issues have more to do with behind the scenes matters, which probably has more to do with resignations by Cadets staff than invitations from other corps to join their staff.

With Boston Crusaders, we may be seeing something very different happening. Boston Crusaders has worked tirelessly at strengthening the organization financially, connecting alums to the corps but not allowing alums to dictate every move the corps makes, and making fans feel as if they are part of the success. Now that they have built this stronger structure, they are ready to catapult the corps into a more competitive position. I don't think tradition will hold them back. For Boston Crusaders, tradition involves grit and perseverance more than a style of a show. This is the first time in many years, perhaps since Cadets or Cavies ascended in the 1980's we've seen so many top people leave corps top placing corps and not move to another top corps. If they are successful in making BAC a powerhouse, this will burst the theory that only certain corps can win and would have an impact on corps such as Crossmen, Academy, Blue Stars, etc. we could be seeing a whole new era in drum corps beginning.

Great theory! Maybe the Blue Stars will now have a shot at what they should have got back in '72. :w00t::thumbup:

. There is a large contingent of folks who believe that the best talent follows the best instruction. I'm sure this happens quite a bit, and for 2 main reasons: 1) young marchers want the best training and the best experience, and 2) they want to win or at least be in the game.

. With some key staff moving from Cadets and Crown up to Boston does that really mean that all the kids on the Eastern seaboard will go audition for Boston and none for Cadets or Crown? No.

I agree with you as well on this, jwillis35. Anyone that thinks that with Boston putting this outstanding instructional staff together will lead to ( as you said here ) " all the kids will go audition for Boston and none for Cadets or Crown " would be a ridiculous predictive assessment. What will probably happen is a good retention at Boston of eligible marchers as well as a goodly numbers of very talented campers that will do precisely what you said in your 1st paragraph..." the best talent follows the best instruction ".... It does happen ( as you said ) " quite a bit ", and Boston will likely be no different in this regard. Crown and Cadets will have their potential campers evaluate the instructional staff being put together there for 2017 and beyond as well, and potential applicants will make their choices accordingly... same as it ever was... and same as it will be for all the potential marchers that will evaluate ALL these Corps staffs that are being put together for them for 2017.

Edited by BRASSO