2017 Boston Crusaders

Boston Crusaders just announced a new partnership with 7th Regiment.

I'm a little late to the party...been a crazy few days in the political world it seems...

This is awesome news! Each organization I think will benefit from one another...organizationally for regiment and new untapped resources for boston...awesome!

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

I'm not sure where to post this....I have a question for those in the know...that is specifically pre-DCI era stuff...I happened to be up on corpsreps.com and they were featuring a historical contest in 1967...My question is how come the contest took place in April? Did the drum corps season differ back in the day?

I guess perhaps this question could have been also asked in historical drum corps as well...

Featured Historical Contest 1967 Sound Off 67 Rochester NY Saturday April 15, 1967 Rochester NY Sound Off 67 Position Corps Score 1 Boston Crusaders 92.550 2 Les Metropolitains 85.475 3 Marion Cadets 82.600 4 St. Catharines Chessmen 81.850 5 Sertomanaires 81.170 Exhibition 0 Emerald Statesmen 0 Syracuse Brigadiers

My question is how come the contest took place in April? Did the drum corps season differ back in the day?

For the most years prior to DCI, first "contests" were in April and last ones in September.

Here are some results for Boston.

http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=corpsyrscore&corps=37&corpstype=Junior&yearqry=1964

http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=corpsyrscore&corps=37&corpstype=Junior&yearqry=1965

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

There are no real surprises here...will be interesting to know who will be the tech's as well...I know of a few others that are not specifically mentioned here...

I'm not sure where to post this....I have a question for those in the know...that is specifically pre-DCI era stuff...I happened to be up on corpsreps.com and they were featuring a historical contest in 1967...My question is how come the contest took place in April? Did the drum corps season differ back in the day?

I guess perhaps this question could have been also asked in historical drum corps as well...

Featured Historical Contest 1967 Sound Off 67 Rochester NY Saturday April 15, 1967 Rochester NY Sound Off 67 Position Corps Score 1 Boston Crusaders 92.550 2 Les Metropolitains 85.475 3 Marion Cadets 82.600 4 St. Catharines Chessmen 81.850 5 Sertomanaires 81.170 Exhibition 0 Emerald Statesmen 0 Syracuse Brigadiers

In the 70's (mid to late) the first shows were standstills in the Boston area; Drumfest at BC. There was a show called "Spring Fever" held in May at BU. The first field shows were before Memorial Day. I remember a show in New London being the first one in 75 or 76 the weekend before Memorial Day (could have it wrong). It wasn't many years later when corps started holding off until school was out or nearly out and then it became typical for shows to start around the third week of June. I think in 1983 "Boston" came out for their first show in July.

It wasn't many years later when corps started holding off until school was out or nearly out and then it became typical for shows to start around the third week of June.

This may have started when more corps began signing mm from all over the country and eventually other countries.

In the 70's (mid to late) the first shows were standstills in the Boston area; Drumfest at BC. There was a show called "Spring Fever" held in May at BU. The first field shows were before Memorial Day. I remember a show in New London being the first one in 75 or 76 the weekend before Memorial Day (could have it wrong). It wasn't many years later when corps started holding off until school was out or nearly out and then it became typical for shows to start around the third week of June. I think in 1983 "Boston" came out for their first show in July.

I remember the New London show. I think it was held the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, but this would have been the late 70's. Shows were generally completed since corps practiced on weekends during the winter, but there were also many "holes," most likely from college students who would join in June. I can't say the shows were great, and most likely it was an opportunity for judged feedback, but it was a great way to see what corps would do during the summer.

Regarding circuit shows, I was in a CYO band (late 70's/early 80's) in the Boston area and CYO and Eastern Mass started the first week of June and finished just prior to Labor Day. However, a few years prior to my marching, circuit finals were after Labor Day.