2017 Boston Crusaders

4 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Look at Cadets last year for example, people were pumped about some of their early music choices, the second "Stoned" was announced as the title, people instantly starting thinking the show was going to be awful.

After first watching it on line, I wouldn't have called it awful, just not impressed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

IMO, with putting info out early last year, there was a great deal of hype. Most of it positive, some negative. When the season got here, and the judging community started scoring the corps where they did, many of those same fans/alums that we hyped about the show early on were overly critical and you would have thought the world was ending.

Doing it this way takes out a lot of that scrutiny early on, and it also gives people something to be looking forward to and excited about.

Would I like knowing everything going on, sure, but I get it. Same reason I have tons of info that I saw/heard at camp last week, but out of respect, I won't share it publicly.

Look at Cadets last year for example, people were pumped about some of their early music choices, the second "Stoned" was announced as the title, people instantly starting thinking the show was going to be awful.

I actually LOVED that cadet show title...the theme not so much...

Well...I agree in point...perhaps other things can be done to keep fans engaged...maybe the general DC community does not care...I consider myself a super-fan...so maybe that is why I'm so hyper-critical over this very topic...I think scrutiny can be a good thing...in terms of getting feedback early on that could be helpful..perhaps something that was perhaps overlooked...I already have tons of info on the Scouts including various recordings as well...I so wish every season I didn't have keep top secret everything like the nuclear codes...LOL...I do know how I could level the playing field on all of this corps secrecy...but I'd have to seek asylum in Russia like Snowden...LOL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I actually LOVED that cadet show title...the theme not so much...

Well...I agree in point...perhaps other things can be done to keep fans engaged...maybe the general DC community does not care...I consider myself a super-fan...so maybe that is why I'm so hyper-critical over this very topic...I think scrutiny can be a good thing...in terms of getting feedback early on that could be helpful..perhaps something that was perhaps overlooked...I already have tons of info on the Scouts including various recordings as well...I so wish every season I didn't have keep top secret everything like the nuclear codes...LOL...I do know how I could level the playing field on all of this corps secrecy...but I'd have to seek asylum in Russia like Snowden...LOL

I also loved the Cadets show, but I think some got caught up in the negativity and wouldn't allow themselves to like it.

As for keeping fans involved, and giving them some things, I would love it too. Musically though, you have to worry about copyright in many cases. With others, you have to make sure what you put out is high quality, or you'll get all the scrutiny. Look at those Blue Stars recordings from 2017. The recordings are nice in that there is something to check out, but they're not the highest quality so some will say they're excited, and others will bash it.

6 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

I also loved the Cadets show, but I think some got caught up in the negativity and wouldn't allow themselves to like it.

As for keeping fans involved, and giving them some things, I would love it too. Musically though, you have to worry about copyright in many cases. With others, you have to make sure what you put out is high quality, or you'll get all the scrutiny. Look at those Blue Stars recordings from 2017. The recordings are nice in that there is something to check out, but they're not the highest quality so some will say they're excited, and others will bash it.

Calling it now...copyright will be the death of Drum Corps, unless they can grow the fanbase more.

1 minute ago, BoaDci said:

Calling it now...copyright will be the death of Drum Corps, unless they can grow the fanbase more.

I don't know if it will be the death of drum corps, but it hasn't helped. With soundsport and other ventures, I would say DCI is healthier than 5 years ago. Attendance is up, number of groups performing are up. Now from a fiscal standpoint, it doesn't help, but I think for the most part that hit rock bottom a few years ago when the Fan Network went away, but now that we have moved on from that and DCI has started putting out some videos, I think it's moving in a healthier direction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BoaDci said:

I don't know if it will be the death of drum corps, but it hasn't helped. With soundsport and other ventures, I would say DCI is healthier than 5 years ago. Attendance is up, number of groups performing are up. Now from a fiscal standpoint, it doesn't help, but I think for the most part that hit rock bottom a few years ago when the Fan Network went away, but now that we have moved on from that and DCI has started putting out some videos, I think it's moving in a healthier direction.

4 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

I agree.  I have also noted that DCI has DRASTICALLY cut down on taking down DCI shows on YT.  I know a channel who posted probably about 50 or so videos, and his channel didnt get taken down for 4 weeks.

35 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

I agree.  I have also noted that DCI has DRASTICALLY cut down on taking down DCI shows on YT.  I know a channel who posted probably about 50 or so videos, and his channel didnt get taken down for 4 weeks.

I think it goes in waves. Plus, a lot of the videos on youtube now are not full shows taken straight from the DCI DVD/Blue Ray or streams. They're more fan created or edited.

In my opinion, when the whole Tresona thing came down, it happened so quickly and there was so much content removed that it was shocking.

Now that there are far less videos out there, and videos from show choirs, marching bands, etc. DCI does not appear to be the target it felt like previously.

Hopefully in time there will be a compromise, and the monopoly that Tresona seems to have will lessen, but until then, we can just hope that there's something there for us!

• Like 1

Safe travels to all the members of the 2017 Boston Crusaders as you make your way to Florida for this weekend's camp.  To all the vets who are returning, welcome back!  (especially you 3, 4 and 5 year vets...you know who your are!!)    To all of the new members, welcome to the BAC family!  I know many of you have marched elsewhere in the past.  May you all enjoy and thrive in your new family...please know that you have an amazing staff and director, and  you have 77 years of alumni who have your back.  A great adventure awaits you this summer.

Eat 'em up, Boston!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Safe travels to all the members of the 2017 Boston Crusaders as you make your way to Florida for this weekend's camp.  To all the vets who are returning, welcome back!  (especially you 3, 4 and 5 year vets...you know who your are!!)    To all of the new members, welcome to the BAC family!  I know many of you have marched elsewhere in the past.  May you all enjoy and thrive in your new family...please know that you have an amazing staff and director, and  you have 77 years of alumni who have your back.  A great adventure awaits you this summer.

Eat 'em up, Boston!

I wonder if this weekend brings any updates of any kind...

Edited by brassdude6171
  • Like 1