Cadets 2017

I don't know whether this will contribute to your understanding or not. George explains it to The Cadets in this manner:

1. If you win you stand there, out of respect for the corps who didn't win and are dealing with their own disappointment.

2. If you don't win you stand there, out of respect for the corps who did win.

3. The Cadets leave the field immediately when the "clear the field" instruction is given. This is to allow the winning corps "their moment as champions." As the announcer always states, XXXXXX the field is yours.

This is a long-standing Cadet tradition, and honestly, I think that anyone who criticizes it must be totally insensitive to manners and a degree of respect seldom viewed anymore. This is not to suggest that corps who choose to conduct themselves differently are not showing respect in a different manner. We all do things in our own way.

See, this is horrible! That evil Hopkins and his dam RULES. This is SO unfair! I can't BELIEVE he forces his kids to just STAND there after they've...

Wait, after they've won, show respect?

After they've not won, show respect?

Get off the field to, um, show respect?

Wow, this seems to make a little more sense now. "Show respect". Hmmm... One of those little life-lessons that comes from intense training in the traditions of... hmmm... showing respect.

"You mean I paid BIG, BIG money to WIN and all I get is an education in... showing... respect?"

Yes, now carry on with your life, say thanks, and pass it on.

(sarcasm should be noted appropriately)

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

DCP Community Question: I noticed over the years an absence of Cadet members in individual/ensemble competitions during DCI week and was rather surprised seeing they have so many outstanding musicians. I then read a story that indicated individual/ensemble competitiors are not allowed with the Cadets. Is that true?

DCP Community Question: I noticed over the years an absence of Cadet members in individual/ensemble competitions during DCI week and was rather surprised seeing they have so many outstanding musicians. I then read a story that indicated individual/ensemble competitiors are not allowed with the Cadets. Is that true?

Most corps don't allow members to participate in I&E. There are a few groups in finals that always take time out to attend or let people sign, but most groups are busy that day rehearsing. I don't think this is a Cadet phenomenon. It's the fact that it's the day before prelims and no one wants to give up members/time.

• Like 1

Yes, the Cadets do not/have not been part of the I&E portions of DCi whether held at Regionals or at Championships. Several other corps also do not participate.

I understand that there are 3 reasons for this:

1. The corps believes that the attention of all members should be focused on the group efforts and performances during the season,especially during championships week..

2. The corps uses this time to tweak its full performance and needs all (healthy) members at practice for last minute changes and tweaks.

3. Members of the corps come from States, regions, and schools where sufficient opportunities exist off-season for individual recognition and adjudication by expert musicians.

• Like 1

Correct. In fairness to the Cadets here however, they are not the only Corps that prohibits this participation.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if JP Crowley, Michael Terry, and Jake Galt remain on Cadets' music staff as all 3 are young, vibrant Cadet alums with excellent talents and teaching abilities proven within the past five seasons..

• Like 1

Waiting around for the encore this year was such a drag, I almost missed last call

All corps should leave the field in a prompt manner, a la Cadets so I can get a few rounds in and eat something because those 1am liquor and food/ licenses are a drag…but I did find out you can buy to go drinks and just wander out of a bar and down the sidewalk with a cocktail in your hand…why did it take so many years to learn about this about Indy !!!!!

• Like 1

As explained above, that all makes sense.

What about the part between completion of score announcements and "clear the field"? Are Cadets allowed to mingle with other corps and offer personal congratulations? If not, should they consider it in these changing times, where members move between corps more frequently and sportsmanship has grown?

Cadets do not mingle at retreat, particularly when this would mean breaking another corps' ranks. And I don't think they should even consider tossing aside decades of tradition to appease a handful of bando-come-latelys.

I also take issue with your assertion that "sportsmanship has grown". The mingling, the congratulations, the talking with friends in other corps -- none of this is new. However, it previously was done in the parking lot, not on the field. And, as far as sportsmanship goes, anyone who ever marched can tell you at least one story of a time when they needed something and another corps came to their aid, or vice versa. There are other ways to convey sportsmanship besides high-fiving your buddy on the other side of the field.

I really wish they'd reintroduce the tradition of corps being released from the field one at a time, in reverse order of finish. This gives each unit one last chance to play for the audience, often times the corps signature tune or some other bit of music that you dont' otherwise hear. It also allows the corps to salute the champion.

• Like 4

Yes, the Cadets do not/have not been part of the I&E portions of DCi whether held at Regionals or at Championships. Several other corps also do not participate.

I understand that there are 3 reasons for this:

1. The corps believes that the attention of all members should be focused on the group efforts and performances during the season,especially during championships week..

2. The corps uses this time to tweak its full performance and needs all (healthy) members at practice for last minute changes and tweaks.

3. Members of the corps come from States, regions, and schools where sufficient opportunities exist off-season for individual recognition and adjudication by expert musicians.

It really predates DCI, at least during my three years with Garfield. We may have had one or two horn players do I&E at VFW Nats in 70/71, but that is about it.

I really wish they'd reintroduce the tradition of corps being released from the field one at a time, in reverse order of finish. This gives each unit one last chance to play for the audience, often times the corps signature tune or some other bit of music that you dont' otherwise hear. It also allows the corps to salute the champion.

Which really sounded not all that great from several corps...not specifically talking about cadets here...lot's of fracks from trumpets and usually someone over-playing with not any musicality either...I remember those days well...LOL

• Like 1