Cadets 2017

I think the more interesting question at the root is why wouldn't Jeff Sacktig sign back on...or maybe Hopkins didn't ask due to his allegiance to Darryl. I don';t know but I am intrigued.

Jeff won't work with GH. That ship has sailed.

That's a great point - the concept was a dud and some of the initial decisions regading the stages/cakes and color scheme / back half music choice - really left the designers behind the 8 ball

With new folks in for music/visual concept/show coordination we could see a strong frame work and much better results from all

I hadn't actually connected the two as clearly in my mind as you just did - maybe THAT'S the context

The one thing that was parallel in the shows of the four champion drum corps this year (DCI and DCA) were their simple concepts. KISS.
  • Like 4

The one thing that was parallel in the shows of the four champion drum corps this year (DCI and DCA) were their simple concepts. KISS.

George needs to have people who will stand up to him and risk getting fired if they say what they really think. Clearly, most of the people on that staff did not believe this show concept was going to work. Maybe they voiced that opinion, maybe they didn't. But George needs people to stand up to him and he has to listen to people who have at least as much to lose in failure as he does.

Not interested in beating a dead horse again, but it was obvious the first time statues aired that it was a dud. And we are not geniuses.

Some of the greatest ideas for live performance we're not really all that simple, but they were very clear. And they involved in emotional arc. Angels and Demons would be first on the list of ticking both of those boxes.

Statues awakening was no angels and demons.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3

FWIW, I did not like the stage, I felt it was forced and distracting. And I always feared someone would slip off of it while running headlong to hit their mark. Killing the stage was a good move.

Stage was not the only forced and distracting element in that show.

Edited by Sideways
  • Like 1

I think the more interesting question at the root is why wouldn't Jeff Sacktig sign back on...or maybe Hopkins didn't ask due to his allegiance to Darryl. I don';t know but I am intrigued.

The same reason that everyone else quit. It rhymes with "porge dopkins."

While I agree that "Statues Awakening" was no "Angels and Demons" (which was no "Appalachian Spring" BTW (Ha!)), I must admit there will always be a special place in my heart for the creepy backwards crawling guard performer. She will be sorely missed by me!

Regarding the discussion on DP: All the drill needs is clarity and a better connection to the music. As the season progressed, the visuals became much clearer and understandable much to the credit of the visual staff who stuck to it. The best drill flows to every musical impact, and it should direct the listener's eyes to the areas of the field that best convey the motif of the show.

have you met his girlfriend? lol

yes, since her birth. doesnt mean he is though

yes, since her birth. doesnt mean he is though

I'm joking! So snarky lol

I know he isn't as indoor connected (as he should be) but he has been around it more the past 3 seasons, between CWP, the one year indoor guard & a few new personal relations