Cadets 2017

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Not sure if I'm getting what you're trying to say here

All I'm saying is that so many people who have marched Cadets have gone on to teach other corps and make those corps great. It may sound like I'm overstating the Cadets' impact, but that is not my intent. 

2 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Why so tense?

Relax, enjoy

Has nothing to do with tension. It has to do with the thought that all you have to contribute is acrimony.

2 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

Everyone is about to find out whether the example of the The Cavaliers is the new normal, or a one-off specific to them. They were the "it" corps of the 2000s, and then key staff departures started a gradual decline that eventually hit the ground with a thud. This is not only due to what they produced, but the strengthening of everyone else. 20 years ago you could be elite and lay an egg one season and have a good chance to jumping back fairly quickly.

It's different now, the Cavaliers are just managing to claw their way back.. There is great design happening from place 1-12, and, thanks to DCI's outreach to education programs, the talent present across the board is SO much stronger. 

BD, Bluecoats and SCV are likely to be incredibly strong. Cavaliers and Crown very strong. Cadets may very well have a much better program than last year and good execution, and still end up stuck where the were, or worse, just due to the jump up everyone else is taking. The rearview mirror is looking a bit scary: Blue Knights have been quietly building for a few seasons and they finished their show on time this year. Phantom looks to be making the right choices and then there is the Boston wildcard. 

Really, anything can happen here, but the big lesson learned is that unless you bring your A game, EVERY season these days, you could end up as dog food.

You've illustrated very well the point I was trying to make. There is hardly any room nowadays for "rebuilding". 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

That is what Jeff Bezos calls Day 2. “Day 2 is stasis. Followed by irrelevance. Followed by excruciating, painful decline. Followed by death. And that is why it is always Day 1.” If an organization responds quickly to the adversity thy experience, they can move forward and stay relevant. The people who left after last summer helped deliver a show that was not up to the standards of a championship drum corps show these days. Change can be good. It brings in fresh thinking, a new creative dynamic, and often leads to greater success. We will see what happens with the Cadets. 

There is a clear inference in your post that the people who left after last summer were responsible for delivering a lowered standard.  Was there anything that hindered their re-delivering the high standard they had delivered before?  And did any of those folks who left, feel that for one reason or another, it was simply time to move on?  That they'd had enough of what had transpired throughout the season (and before the season) and couldn't see anything they felt needing change, being changed anytime soon?  Maybe I'm reading too much into what you are saying.  I agree that change is needed from time to time to reinvigorate a brand so to speak.  But conversely, there  have been many discussions on DCP that point out that continuity of staff has bred a lot of success for org's.  BD being an example of that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

There is a clear inference in your post that the people who left after last summer were responsible for delivering a lowered standard.  Was there anything that hindered their re-delivering the high standard they had delivered before? 

Yes - Process.

But conversely, there  have been many discussions on DCP that point out that continuity of staff has bred a lot of success for org's.  BD being an example of that.

Yes - Process

40 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Has nothing to do with tension. It has to do with the thought that all you have to contribute is acrimony.

It’s was tense as in you rightly correcting my grammar tense with 'emphasize'; also rolled into a pun

Acrimony seems like the wrong word, at least with regards to my posts but I do see where you’re coming from.

Have a nice day

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

There is a clear inference in your post that the people who left after last summer were responsible for delivering a lowered standard.  Was there anything that hindered their re-delivering the high standard they had delivered before?  And did any of those folks who left, feel that for one reason or another, it was simply time to move on?  That they'd had enough of what had transpired throughout the season (and before the season) and couldn't see anything they felt needing change, being changed anytime soon?  Maybe I'm reading too much into what you are saying.  I agree that change is needed from time to time to reinvigorate a brand so to speak.  But conversely, there  have been many discussions on DCP that point out that continuity of staff has bred a lot of success for org's.  BD being an example of that.

You are reading too much into what I am saying. I am not saying any one person was responsible for the good or bad that happens during a season. It is always a team effort, and for whatever reason, the team at the Cadets needed a change. 

You are correct, those who left may have "had enough" and decided it was a good time to move on. Your inference is the leader of the team, the one person who has been most instrumental in the corps success over the past 35 years is the problem. Maybe so, we will learn if that is true soon enough, but if anyone has earned the right to have a chance to turn it around it is George Hopkins. Ten championships in four decades with different creative teams speak loudly. 

Yes, Blue Devils are an example that continuity of staff will breed success, but they are an anomaly. No other corps comes close to their consistancy, budget, creativity over time, etc. I do not compare anyone to their standard. 

We will see how things shake out this year. A new team could do great things. Maybe sixth place last year gave the organization the jolt needed to get back to the top. 

Edited by mcjordansc
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I'll add my crazy. I would be shell-shocked if Boston beat Crown. Crown has a championship design through and through. I feel they are in a better state right now than they were at this time in 2015 and 2016. I'm not sure what you've heard or seen, but I have little doubt that Crown will remain a medalist.

I've seen the Crown youtube video and don't agree. I'm not saying they won't beat Boston. But IMO, they are not ahead of 2015 & 2016.

• Like 7

On 6/9/2017 at 11:35 AM, oldcadetsop said:

Ream has always had an agenda against Cadets (FHNSAB). If he was vetted, I have no problem with the way George handled this. Ream needs to stop his disdain and look for every opportunity to go after THE CADETS. Also, whether is Cadets, Devils, Crown, Bluecoats etc  .As was mentioned by a previous poster, parents were made  aware. Ream has no business in posting about this. Lol typical banker. Why I got out of commercial banking 15 years ago because of people like him.

hi back from a week in sunny Florida.

i have an agenda against ######## and criminals.Sometimes thats Hop. Not the corps itself. While many flailed them on here last year, and especially some of the newer staff, i actually defended them. imagine, a guy who "hates" a corps defending them! I even very much so like what I've seen this year from them and gave some cash to 3 kids marching. cant hate them that bad if i'm helping to feed the beast!

now I did see he had an attorney send Dave Shaw a letter about using images of the corps on Facebook which seems perrty, given that Dave would do anything for the Cadets no matter how many times they have ###### on him, but that's a minor issue.

Hoping to see a good product from them in a few weeks and glad to know all staff is legal because PA doesnt screw around if not.

Edited by Jeff Ream
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

You wanna know what I'm worried about? 

Back when I marched, many people went to BD for their brassline. Many people went to Cadets for their drill. SCV well, what can I say, they're SCV. The name says it all. But nowadays, what are Cadets known for? They lost their best drill writer, their best hornline caption head as well as their best brass arranger (of this era). What reputation will this season build for Cadets? I don't know, but I surely hope it brings back a great reputation. 

I'm not sure what you're getting at.  I recently chatted with a parent and he told me why his child selected Cadets to march with.  You'll be surprised it had everything to do with what the Cadets do off the field and not on it.

Fan of the Arts

• Like 3

On 6/9/2017 at 11:45 AM, xandandl said:

actually isn't he more the chief bottle washer for a band circuit that holds it's shows in the same geographic demographic as Cadets' band circuit?

He is also a new parent of not yet a dozen years and maybe looking at life choices and consequences differently.

All America seems to be aware that not everything printed in the media is objective fact and sometimes "the facts" the newspapers print turn out not to be true. God knows how many on death row and in prison The Innocent Project (e.g. Yale, University of Chicago, Northwestern, and other universities) have helped to free people wrongly convicted and now found innocent through newer DNA specifications.  I taught once in a large school with a gym teacher accused by a student of inappropriate behavior. The teacher lost his job, house, reputation, and career through news stories published throughout the country. Several months later, the kid admitted to lying after the teacher had had a heart attack and a stroke while going bankrupt defending himself. The NY media did publish a retraction, not on page one like the original weeks of stories, but in the obituaries on a Saturday of a holiday weekend.  I still think the man died murdered by the media. Let's be careful with what we say and presume. 

no Jeff Dent is the chief bottle washer. I administrate a little, I judge a little, i taught a bunch over the years.There are also 4 other circuits that compete in our footprint.