Cadets 2017

Cadets get props from me for attempting challenging Bernstein rep. That ending didn't make it for me at first viewing, and I have to opine that the robes make them look dirty even standing still...please minimize or eliminate them! Hope they can really clean fundamental things at this point.

5 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

This show is just boring. I don't really know what George is thinking and feeling when he starts dreaming of show concepts. Hey let's do a show with deep catholic undertones where we have heavy handed narration and our members are marching in robes for half the show. 

The Bernstein folks allowed the Cadets to play the music and the corps is involved next year with other events around LB.  Did the LB Foundation have any say/approval of what the staff has given the mm?  Will the foundation have any future say of music allowed in the near future?

1 hour ago, brichtimp said:

That ending didn't make it for me at first viewing, and I have to opine that the robes make them look dirty even standing still...please minimize or eliminate them!  

There was a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking when they went to black uniforms.

Edited by Ghost

12 minutes ago, Ghost said:

The Bernstein folks allowed the Cadets to play the music and the corps is involved next year with other events around LB.  Did the LB Foundation have any say/approval of what the staff has given the mm?  Will the foundation have any future say of music allowed in the near future?

How this relates to Cadets, I have no details; but in general the Bernstein Foundation put out a memo to many arts foundations, publishing companies, schools and colleges, etc. that unless schools and/or performance orgs were performing his original works of approved, already published arrangements, that new arrangements would need to seek approval and that the music would have to be true to the character and style of Bernstein's originals. 

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I must be the only one utterly bored by SCV, other than impressed by their percussion and guard. It has zero heart 

Now, George, you should at least say something positive about that Vanguard brass! :12_slight_smile:

I do agree, Cadets might actually have TOO MUCH going on, aurally, visually, and emotionally. It's hard to consume everything in such a short time frame. I still believe the large backfield props aren't effective. First of all, way too many of them. The graphics are too small, and the curvature into the end-zone is sloppy, distracting. Yes, the heavy robes become less effective as time passes. Maybe, discard them earlier.

The presentations of corps now scoring over Cadets have better clarity, for sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, henry7184 said:

To each his own. 2017 SCV is my favorite show in a very very long time. I think it has plenty of heart. 

SCV has a seamless, cohesive, design that JUST MAKES SENSE. They command your attention and deliver on every front.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, henry7184 said:

To each his own. 2017 SCV is my favorite show in a very very long time. I think it has plenty of heart. 

I can't wait to see SCV in Allentown.  I would be so excited to see them win another championship. BD and the Bluecoats will be fighting them for the title though.  

Cadets had no electronics last night. Nothing cleared that front wall. The judges were gracious enough to give them the score they got! Logistics gang. If you're going to employ electronics, mics and choirs, you'll need to be understand the variabilities of different venues and adjust. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Crazy season.... so WHO DOESNT MEDAL... Crown or BLOO? 

Scary thought.

So on the order of performance in San Antonio, do I have it right that cadets could perform as low as ninth in the order based on scoring to date?

Edited by MikeRapp