Cadets 2017

Tekk, check Reading Buccaneers for the last dozen years.  He also did Jersey Surf for several.  Granted one is DCA and the other a younger talent level, but you'll see from these his ability to adapt, re-frame, and be musical. 

I'm not up on his bands currently but the fellow is well-established and versatilite.

P.S. Garfield, Count me in as well as one who enjoyed the shows at the Columbus Crew stadium. I liked the proximity but I think the show outgrew the seating capacity as it was at that time. The stadium and professional soccer must have grown since then..

Edited by xandandl

15 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Tekk, check Reading Buccaneers for the last dozen years.  He also did Jersey Surf for several.  Granted one is DCA and the other a younger talent level, but you'll see from these his ability to adapt, re-frame, and be musical. 

I'm not up on his bands currently but the fellow is well-established and versatilite.

P.S. Garfield, Count me in as well as one who enjoyed the shows at the Columbus Crew stadium. I liked the proximity but I think the show outgrew the seating capacity as it was at that time. The stadium and professional soccer must have grown since then..

Capacity is a concern for soccer-only stadiums.   PPL/Talen basically sells out the home side.  You always like to have room to grow.   Larger stadiums might be expensive but they have capacity -- esp. in the sweet spot.

But soccer stadiums are FANTASTIC venues for drum corps.  Sight lines and acoustics are just outstanding. 

Edited by corpsband

3 hours ago, corpsband said:

Capacity is a concern for soccer-only stadiums.   PPL/Talen basically sells out the home side.  You always like to have room to grow.   Larger stadiums might be expensive but they have capacity -- esp. in the sweet spot.

But soccer stadiums are FANTASTIC venues for drum corps.  Sight lines and acoustics are just outstanding. 

How much are you really going to make [in addition] from having a larger venue?....the overhead alone eats all the extra profits IMO...Sending large crowds away on a consistent basis may be the only rationale to go bigger...but that should only be when it's shown that you can draw that size crowd to justify the added expense of the larger venue...I felt that ToC at Talen has been a far greater success than the time it was held at MetLife stadium..by far...

14 minutes ago, Liahona said:

How much are you really going to make [in addition] from having a larger venue?....the overhead alone eats all the extra profits IMO...Sending large crowds away on a consistent basis may be the only rationale to go bigger...but that should only be when it's shown that you can draw that size crowd to justify the added expense of the larger venue...I felt that ToC at Talen has been a far greater success than the time it was held at MetLife stadium..by far...

You might be surprised.  Having capacity in the "sweet spot" is a really good thing.  One of the biggest issues with MetLife is the uncertainty with the site.  The Biebs can just add a date and knock you out at short notice.

Anyway the Red Bull venue will turn out well for YEA.    Fans now have experience with Talen/PPL and know it's an exceptional drum corps venue.  

You certainly are so right about the last minute scheduling hassles at the Meadowlands (no matter what it's called this year.) The sweet heart deals YEA once got by scheduling the band championships there and tacking on a summer drum corps show is also subjected to the different politics depending on which administration is running the commission, who's the governor, etc. YEA has done yeoman's work over the years to make these large facilities available to the bands and the occasional drum corps show. When one actually knows the cost per day for the rental, it is quite staggering.  The individual staffers of the MetLife/Giants/Meadowlands have been super with the drum corps, but sometimes their hands are tied by higher ups and residual contracts. 

Edited by xandandl

5 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Are there any examples of this new drill writer's drill anywhere? I'm curious to see his "credentials". 

I'll echo what Xanandl said, watch anything from the Reading Buccaneers over the past decade. Bobby is a *master* at staging brass and percussion. His work for Bucs last summer was, in my opinion, his best yet. That show was incredibly well designed, without being overly hard (Reading had gotten into an arms race with themselves over the last five or six years, and backed it off a tad for 2016).

His high school drill is also very, very good, particularly his work with Liberty HS in Maryland. I've judged them on a number of occasions, and he always writes with the music in mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kamarag said:

I'll echo what Xanandl said, watch anything from the Reading Buccaneers over the past decade. Bobby is a *master* at staging brass and percussion. His work for Bucs last summer was, in my opinion, his best yet. That show was incredibly well designed, without being overly hard (Reading had gotten into an arms race with themselves over the last five or six years, and backed it off a tad for 2016).

His high school drill is also very, very good, particularly his work with Liberty HS in Maryland. I've judged them on a number of occasions, and he always writes with the music in mind.

That makes me feel a little better. Thanks for the insight. 

Also, do they have a new guard writer too? I may have read that somewhere but I may be mistaken. 

Edited by 2000Cadet

Joe is still head designer but they added 3 more to team, one of them (Eric B.) He headed up Cadets Guard in 2014 where they placed second at finals. 

2 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Joe is still head designer but they added 3 more to team, one of them (Eric B.) He headed up Cadets Guard in 2014 where they placed second at finals. 

I can't say I am excited they kept the same head designer given that they placed 8th in guard last year and what, 6th in 2015? You'd think they would have made that change too. 

We haven't had a top designer for guard in years (if ever) but Eric did have the guard prettty clean 2 years ago and is back. All tbd people from 2015 are gone.