Cadets 2017

I totally understand the caution. And hey, come June there are only two outcomes, neither negative.

1). You are not disapointed.

2). If they exceed even a tad they've exceeded your expectations.

If my favorite corps had done the same thing to me over 3 years I'd be cautious too.

• Like 1

So with Tommy-boy getting a five-year contract, is it too much to hope that come 2022, we'll hear...

"... under the direction of Tom Aungst," after the Cadets are announced?

That thought brought a tear to my eye and a little tingle elsewhere BUT more importantly, there is a plan in place.
  • Like 2

I agree with the sentiment that a lot of corps would love to finish sixth at finals; however, those corps aren't the Cadets. With so many championships and medals under their belt, competitive excellence is a prerequisite for a successful season. Please don't tell me placement doesn't matter to the MMs. It does, or they wouldn't go to the Cadets in the first place.

• Like 1

I agree with the sentiment that a lot of corps would love to finish sixth at finals; however, those corps aren't the Cadets. With so many championships and medals under their belt, competitive excellence is a prerequisite for a successful season. Please don't tell me placement doesn't matter to the MMs. It does, or they wouldn't go to the Cadets in the first place.

Thank you for this.

Also, saying placement doesn't matter to Cadets implies that the competition itself isn't really "right." It also implies that Cadets is somehow "more better" than those other corps in which "it's all about placement." If anything, one thing that is very unique about DCI is the altruistic motives of nearly everyone involved at every organization. There isn't a single corps in which placement is more important than teaching and the overall experience.

That thought brought a tear to my eye and a little tingle elsewhere BUT more importantly, there is a plan in place.

OK... regarding that little tingle, none of us need to know what the plan is. :tongue:

• Like 1

So bit more from the cadets

Cadets will march 36 guard, around 24 contracts have already been set and the guard will have auditions and set the section after WGI

Front ensemble is set after heavy turnouts

Battery set other than 1 tom

Brass in good shape with some folks still in orbit due to other winter commitments, a couple lead sop spots, a mello spot, bari in good shape and two tuba spots left to contact. The expect the line to be set in January or possibly the following camp

Working the music rights with another hopefully final meeting in the second week of January

24 candidates for the small choir vocal spots being brought in at the January cadet camp to set that section

Design is well underway including discussions with uniform manufacturers, prop design

Corps got thru about five minutes of show music last camp

Edited by George Dixon

I watched 2013 BD, 2016 Bluecoats, 2016 BD, 2013 Boston Crusaders, and 2013 and 2016 Cadets the other day with some herbal refreshment. One thing that really stood out to me was the variety of timbres and textures. BD and Bluecoats were constantly shifting things up; a trombone quartet with marimbas, then the entire trumpet section by themselves, then electronics plus bass drums, then all the metallophones together, and so forth. Obviously, music choices make a big difference--the jazzy idiom of BD really lends itself to call and response--but it was striking how those corps used such a diverse palette. Cadets and BAC had many long stretches of homorhythmic full brass choir with full battery backing--good per se, and something we all love, but there were long sections of that same texture/timbre combination, rather than saving it for emphasizing effect moments.

I'm not saying that every corps should sound the same, but it does seem like that variety and musical interest is being rewarded more these days. Will be interesting to see what music and arranging choices are made this season

Edited by FTNK
  • Like 1

a few Cadets are at BC

a decent number of vets are back at Cadets

honestly the brass line still has spots - but a better turn out in December and the holes will be filled easily between now and spring

drumline is full - save one quad

guard won't be set until May but they should have an older more experienced group than last year

there are many multi-year vets in each segment of the corps

also more coming up from C2 than recent years - with a very talented group there to select from

(edit to add - this is all "second hand" but IMO pretty reliable information)

the key to Cadets in 2017 is show design - they will not be limited by member talent and there's enough vets in the mix to help bring the new members into the mix quickly

talent per se has never been the driving force for Cadets as other places. desire, work ethic, and tenacity have been the keys. I know people who marched Cadets that would have been cut at other "name" corps that have rings they wouldnt have gotten other places because they went to Cadets and worked their ##### off.

• Like 5

talent per se has never been the driving force for Cadets as other places. desire, work ethic, and tenacity have been the keys. I know people who marched Cadets that would have been cut at other "name" corps that have rings they wouldnt have gotten other places because they went to Cadets and worked their ##### off.

This guy being one of them...

• Like 4

Cadets certainly pull in talent but you're correct. Never has been the top criteria for acceptance.