Cadets 2017

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

And the DCA corps Gino has worked with... I've never known him to "handcuff" any other part of the design/implementation team.

Maybe then this story that Gino Cipriani " restricted " the Visual Show Designers at the Cadets by " handcuffing " their efforts on the Visual side while he was there appears to be nothing more than one big heeping pile of hot excrement then. Its sad to see this feeble and lame attempt in some quarters of Cadetsland to tarnish the reputation of not only a former Cadets marcher in Gino Cipriani, but an esteemed educator in Cipriani whose many years of instructional success at the Cadets was considered so exemplary there that the Cadets HOF Committee elected Gino Cipriani into the Cadets Hall of Fame. That's why reading this criticism of Gino Cipriani now when he was with the Cadets sounds more like bitter " fake news " with no basis in fact, to many people outside of CadetsLand, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I've been gone for so long...

Everything is so shiney.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Cadets are the last corps that come to my mind as being restricted visually because of brass staging requirements but maybe that's just me.  

Certainly something I don't recall hearing prior to the last few days on here.  

iT'S very hard to know the inner workings of any corps unless one can experience the ins and outs themselves. What some would call restrictive can mean many things , or not. Often there have been some staff flexing their muscle more than others trying to implement their own thoughts and sometimes just differences can make the opposition feel like their hands are tied.

I have seen in some places this happen , as well as a director restricting anything new or different, even alumni sometimes thinking they should have a say in the design process.

It happens. Strong personalities prevail . Many can be tough. Forming that perfect blend and everyone on the same page is an art form in itself. It's also why sometimes a talented staff doesn't always work....or does.

Edited by GUARDLING

6 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Cadets are the last corps that come to my mind as being restricted visually because of brass staging requirements but maybe that's just me.  

Certainly something I don't recall hearing prior to the last few days on here.  

5 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

iT'S very hard to know the inner workings of any corps unless one can experience the ins and outs themselves. What some would call restrictive can mean many things , or not. Often there have been some staff flexing their muscle more than others trying to implement their own thoughts and sometimes just differences can make the opposition feel like their hands are tied.

I have seen in some places this happen , as well as a director restricting anything new or different, even alumni sometimes thinking they should have a say in the design process.

It happens. Strong personalities prevail . Many can be tough. Forming that perfect blend and everyone on the same page is an art form in itself. It's also why sometimes a talented staff doesn't always work....or does.

It's hard even when you're on the inside (as in a marcher). Personally, I just can't see that Jeff was hindered by Gino. When I marched there, they seemed to get along extremely well and even when I would go watch their recent rehearsals, there was a lot of good chemistry. But I can only speak on what I saw. Obviously, it would be different if I were able to see their interaction 24/7, but count in as part of the camp who does not believe Jeff being hindered by Gino. 

15 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

It's hard even when you're on the inside (as in a marcher). Personally, I just can't see that Jeff was hindered by Gino. When I marched there, they seemed to get along extremely well and even when I would go watch their recent rehearsals, there was a lot of good chemistry. But I can only speak on what I saw. Obviously, it would be different if I were able to see their interaction 24/7, but count in as part of the camp who does not believe Jeff being hindered by Gino. 

That was 16 years ago

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BRASSO said:

11 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Maybe then this story that Gino Cipriani " restricted " the Visual Show Designers at the Cadets by " handcuffing " their efforts on the Visual side while he was there appears to be nothing more than one big heaping pile of hot excrement then. Its sad to see this feeble and lame attempt in some quarters of Cadetsland to tarnish the reputation of not only a former Cadets marcher in Gino Cipriani, but an esteemed educator in Cipriani whose many years of instructional success at the Cadets was considered so exemplary there that the Cadets HOF Committee elected Gino Cipriani into the Cadets Hall of Fame. That's why reading this criticism of Gino Cipriani now when he was with the Cadets sounds more like bitter " fake news " with no basis in fact, to many people outside of CadetsLand, imo.

I've held my breath as long as I can with this nasty back and forth.

1. Your bluster could be simply stated:  one poster (Tobias) expressed an opinion with which you differed. Another poster (George Dixon) insinuated that not all was always perfect in the interplay of faculty personalities.  That's 2 posters from all Cadets, alums, fans, and posters. You disagree but have drawn out the disagreement probably in your boredom and need to sound righteous, disrupting this thread the way you disrupted Crown's thread and other threads this pre-season. You even got suspended from DCP for your behavior.

2. Gino never marched with Cadets. He, a Florida native, marched in Florida Wave at least. He has taught in Florida, California, New York, Pennsylvania, and now Massachusetts. He is passionate about his craft and his students. Like all of us, sometimes his greatest strength may become his greatest weakness. Life is a wonderful challenge and mystery where the dynamics of relationships give us growth, grace, and sometimes heart burn.

3. Tobias is also a passionate poster and Cadet fan; he is a Cadet alum but is not a corps spokesperson, just as I am not. He bases his posts often on his experience as a marcher and through information (gossip sometimes) he has heard from others he knows there including some whom he has sponsored. It may be that sometimes that info is not accurate.  Since any corps today involves hundreds of persons as admin, MMs, faculty, support staff, volunteers, donors and fans,  there will probably be many differences of perspectives and opinions as no two humans are clones no matter how identically the Cadets try to present their visual performance.

My opinion differs from his, just as my experience is different from his. One of Jeff's strengths has always been having the right horn players, drummers, and guard in the right spot at the appropriate time of the drill. Yes, reviewing almost twenty years of drill writing as the principal drill designer and previously as an assistant to the principal drill writer(s) for the Cadets, he has repeated forms and transitions of sets. But so have Gaines, May, Ryan, Vanderkolff, Weber and just about every major drill writer who has been with any DCI corps for more than two seasons. But so often for the MMs who marched those sets, this was a first time experience. This struck me so clearly when realizing that thos e who aged out two seasons ago and now are 24 were never alive when George Zingali was alive. In short, you and I are old.

As George Dixon tried to remind subtly, Jeff has been dealing with major life and death issues in his household the past two seasons. To me, criticism and counter-criticism even under the guise of pseudo-fandom is insensitive and of no solace to him or those who knew his deceased. As I am dealing with something parallel, I am not going to respond further.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Oh... but you conveniently forgot another possibility too ( more likely, in my view too )... that the specific narrative claim here was bogus and simply made up entirely by one single poster on DCP, and not corroborated by any other single poste herer on DCP. Do you think this could be a possibility here In the " inner workings " with the Cadets, Guardling ?  Highly regarded Gino Cipriani was there for years and years,  and with not a sniff of criticism that I'm aware of that he " handcuffed " Show Designers,  Visual Program Coordinators while he was there at the Cadets. Gino has worked many other Corps, Marching Bands, and theres never been a criticism that he  meddled in areas of the Show Programming that " restricted " others ability to perform their duties and responsibilities. Any single DCP'er can just make up a story on here in attempts to " flex their muscle "  But then the story is really nothing more than just total BS.. If a few Cadeters here get their feathers ruffled because I called out a narrative developed on here regarding Gino Cipriani as a meddler as BS, tough luck. The poster certainly was given ample opportunity to retrack or even modfify that criticism of Gino if he wanted too. But he chose not too. So I gave my assessment of that too.. and don't regret a thing about any of my assessment of the criticisms of Gino and so we move on to hopefully lighter things.

Edited by BRASSO