Cadets 2017

2 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

No, he's not good at messaging, and we've known this for years. But he does communicate. 

Communication is so tough

Imperfect communication is certainly better than no communication

53 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

The fact that we have to say "let them get the closer on the field" in mid-July is alarming though.  Finals is less than a month away and the show isn't just being tweaked, it's never been performed in its entirety.  

And yes... I'm well aware that in drum corps days gone by, shows were often not completed until mid-season.  Well... sorry, but that doesn't cut it anymore. 

What I would say to this is every year is different. Each corps has to set their schedule and teaching timeline to what is best for the members. It's July 11 and The Cadets do not have their full closer on the field. Big deal.  People are really enjoying their show, and the corps is performing well. I believe they have surprised many who thought they may come out in rough shape (I was one). They have also surprised many with what is now being considered a well-written show with some legs to push toward finals. 

If I'm GH I could care less what was once done, what has typically been done, and where people think the corps should be today. None of that matters. Not when teaching.  It may matter with scores (wow) but it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of teaching and developing. What matters is choosing the right time, right material, and correct methods for finalizing whatever it is they seek to do with the end of the show. I'm sure other changes will appear with other sections, just as we will see with other corps. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Because sometimes the designers come out with something better than what was initially on the table; sometimes what they have at the beginning doesn't quite work as well as they thought and they go back to the drawing board to come up with something better; Sometimes, to quote Jeff Sacktig, it's just not good enough and they deserve something better, so they work harder to provide something better. Sometimes it can't just happen in the beginning. 

It just feels like we have this conversation every year nowadays.  99% of the shows that finish in front of them come out with a pretty finished product in terms of drill design and music and just get layered and a finalized tag-ish ending and boom they're done.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

It just feels like we have this conversation every year nowadays.  99% of the shows that finish in front of them come out with a pretty finished product in terms of drill design and music and just get layered and a finalized tag-ish ending and boom they're done.  

That's simply not the case. Last year BD underwent significant revision as did 2015 Crown and 2014 Bluecoats 

once you hit the road you "max out the show" hoping you have little to do, but sometimes you have more

not everything works out as imagined in the winter 

2015 Cadets other than the tag ending which was always "planned" stayed the same 

5 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

What I would say to this is every year is different. Each corps has to set their schedule and teaching timeline to what is best for the members. It's July 11 and The Cadets do not have their full closer on the field. Big deal.  People are really enjoying their show, and the corps is performing well. I believe they have surprised many who thought they may come out in rough shape (I was one). They have also surprised many with what is now being considered a well-written show with some legs to push toward finals. 

If I'm GH I could care less what was once done, what has typically been done, and where people think the corps should be today. None of that matters. Not when teaching.  It may matter with scores (wow) but it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of teaching and developing. What matters is choosing the right time, right material, and correct methods for finalizing whatever it is they seek to do with the end of the show. I'm sure other changes will appear with other sections, just as we will see with other corps. 

Best for the members?  What changes from a membership standpoint from year to year that would warrant reworking how an organization puts a show on the field?  The membership isn't the issue.  It's the staff.

And not having your entire show on the field at this point in the season IS a big deal.  At least in a competitive standpoint when every other corps around them does have their show on the field.  Will this closer work?  Will judges react to it favorably?  If not, what changes will need to be made?  You're going into the first full regional of the season with a rough draft no one has even read.

I'm glad people are enjoying their show.  I'm not among them at this point and I personally know very few who do.  Performing well in this activity is always subjective, so I'll leave you that one.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Corps are changing their shows all the time. Crown was not even close to having a complete show at the start of this season. BD was minus a lot of visual. BD changed their closer like 3 times in 2015. Crown revamped their entire show in 2014. Crown had to completely redo their ending in 2015 (and almost won because of those changed). 

Change is ok. Maybe it will work, maybe not. The Cadets might complete the ending and then have to redo certain aspects of it. Such is the life in DCI. So I guess they are not perfect. 

5 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Corps are changing their shows all the time. Crown was not even close to having a complete show at the start of this season. BD was minus a lot of visual. BD changed their closer like 3 times in 2015. Crown revamped their entire show in 2014. Crown had to completely redo their ending in 2015 (and almost won because of those changed). 

Change is ok. Maybe it will work, maybe not. The Cadets might complete the ending and then have to redo certain aspects of it. Such is the life in DCI. So I guess they are not perfect. 

BD tweaked their closer throughout the season, sure.  Added visuals as the show progressed. 

We're talking about basic drill and music being on the field.

• Like 1