Cadets 2017

14 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Really?

I remember seeing Cadets entire 2011 show on the field at the theater kick off.  I remember thinking that DNA helix move at the end is gonna be sick when it's clean.  Were changes and tweaks made?  You betcha'.  But the show was done well before mid-July.  

I actually seem to recall this being a bit of an issue for DCI for precisely the reason mentioned... folks going to shows earlier in the season were routinely getting the shaft from a completed product standpoint.  DCI wanted that to change and encouraged corps to get more on the field in time for the kick-off.  Can anyone verify that, or am I making it up?

Even in this case our memories can be misleading - cadets added music and drill to the VERY END (since that's what we are discussing here) and obviously many large and small tweaks and additions to the entire show. 2012/13 the endings saw more added - say 30 seconds to a minute. 2014 the whole ending was redone to much dismay. 2015 the changed the unfiorm late season but added the "TEN" tag in mid July and then changed the "Z" pull again a week later. 2016 we won't talk about...

This year the whole show was ready June 22 except for 1 minute. This was done intentionally because of a younger corps and they were already greatly struggling with "what they had" so the decision was made. I personally think it was the right decision given the membership. This wasn't a "oh god we ran out of time let's figure something out" - this was planned. Now the addition has been delayed 1 week. That decision was made when they "revised" the closer to be added. I believe it was "run and gun" but they made the decison to do a more regal ending - which is appropriate given how the corps is performing. That caused them to go back and change the drill in the prior section so they ended in the correct set for the new closer. That caused a 1 week delay. Not the end of the world.

All that said - yes, better to have the whole show on the field and then just tweak and layer. That much is a given

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Even in this case our memories can be misleading - cadets added music and drill to the VERY END (since that's what we are discussing here) and obviously many large and small tweaks and additions to the entire show. 2012/13 the endings saw more added - say 30 seconds to a minute. 2014 the whole ending was redone to much dismay. 2015 the changed the unfiorm late season but added the "TEN" tag in mid July and then changed the "Z" pull again a week later. 2016 we won't talk about...

This year the whole show was ready June 22 except for 1 minute. This was done intentionally because of a younger corps and they were already greatly struggling with "what they had" so the decision was made. I personally think it was the right decision given the membership. This wasn't a "oh god we ran out of time let's figure something out" - this was planned. Now the addition has been delayed 1 week. That decision was made when they "revised" the closer to be added. I believe it was "run and gun" but they made the decison to do a more regal ending - which is appropriate given how the corps is performing. That caused them to go back and change the drill in the prior section so they ended in the correct set for the new closer. That caused a 1 week delay. Not the end of the world.

Fair enough.  Guess we'll see how it all pans out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

All that said - yes, better to have the whole show on the field and then just tweak and layer. That much is a given

Don't forget rain delays. That didn't help. 

2 hours ago, cowtown said:

I’ve felt the last few years the Cadets have run out of time to clean due to making too many changes so it would have been more prudent to have a complete show out by now  

Uh.... yes 

we are really all saying the same thing 

at this point we have no choice than disgust or wait and hope for the best 

We're negative because we see the same mistakes again and again for a decade and are willing to say it, instead of just saying "in 1992 they came from behind!" "No one cleans like Cadets!" "George knows what he is doing!" 

Edited by FTNK
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, dans said:

Tonight is a big night for the Cadets...they really need a jump in score. I do fear that they are already slotted and the drop in placement may continue.

I don’t think they are slotted. I sense a lot of wait and see from fans and the judges; the door is open for them to move up or down. They have about a week to 10 days to sort it out, figure out their trier peers coming out of San Antonio

9 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I don’t think they are slotted. I sense a lot of wait and see from fans and the judges; the door is open for them to move up or down. They have about a week to 10 days to sort it out, figure out their trier peers coming out of San Antonio

You're probably correct. This is a little early in the season for slotting to occur. They better move quickly though!