Cadets 2017

6 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

BD tweaked their closer throughout the season, sure.  Added visuals as the show progressed. 

We're talking about basic drill and music being on the field.

If that's the case, it should be noted the Cadets had most of their drill in place at the start of this season.  It's not like the Cadets show was that unfinished. They had all but 1 minute or so on the field. BD had way less of their visual program ready at the start (albeit a much stronger corps and product).  I honestly do not know why this became a big deal (not blaming you or anyone else). It's not like the Cadets stop in mid-stream. They do have a closer and while somewhat sterile it does act as a temp. It's not like they came out like BK did last year. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

If that's the case, the Cadets had more drill in place (even a bit of a temp at the end) than some many groups - even BD. It's not like the Cadets show was that unfinished. They had all but 1 minute or so on the field. I honestly do not know why this became a big deal (not blaming you or anyone else). It's not like the Cadets top in mid-stream. They do have a closer and while somewhat sterile it does act as a temp. It's not like they came out like BK did last year. 

It's apparently unfinished enough for the corps director to ask judges if it's that big of a deal that it's unfinished in mid-July.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I feel like my point is being missed but that's fine.  

I think what you're trying to say is that recently, shows that win (or score higher than the Cadets) are better designed from day one, necessitating fewer changes, whereas the Cadets' shows are not particularly well designed, necessitating wholesale changes that don't usually work.

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyt said:

It's apparently unfinished enough for the corps director to ask judges if it's that big of a deal that it's unfinished in mid-July.

I wouldn't read too much into that comment. :) They might be 30 seconds under the allotted minimum time...I don't know. When I saw them live in Massillon they had a closer on the field. Clearly some of that was a temp, and perhaps they are a few seconds short. I just think it's getting blown out of proportion. 

1 minute ago, exitmusic said:

I think what you're trying to say is that recently, shows that win (or score higher than the Cadets) are better designed from day one, necessitating fewer changes, whereas the Cadets' shows are not particularly well designed, necessitating wholesale changes that don't usually work.

I think "not particularly well designed" might be too strong but yes.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I think "not particularly well designed" might be too strong but yes.  

Regardless of the "Design this or that" that's going on this year, I think it's a good step in a right direction.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sandonovan said:

Regardless of the "Design this or that" that's going on this year, I think it's a good step in a right direction.

I think it's very well designed and I love what they did with uniforms, incl the guard. It's brave to do choir robes, and also a "religious" theme. It's not the most fun show I've ever seen, but it's a good program. It needs a better ending imo, but that's coming.

The longer term question will be the east coast pecking order. Is there enough elite marching talent to populate Crown, (now) BAC and Cadets? I don't see BD, SCV or Bluecoats going away any time soon. Or Cavaliers for that matter.

Fair or not, there will be a lot riding on which of Cadets and BAC finish higher this year. Both will thrive, but if BAC becomes a more preferred landing spot for elite age out performers, it will definitely have an impact on Cadets.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, exitmusic said:

I have an idea for a costume that would look really awesome for this show..

Stay with me here... I know it's a radical thought...

7WoF95p.jpg

Somehow, the "stigma" of being "cemented in tradition" doesn't seem too bad after all, does it?     

Sometimes it really is "hip to be square"!

Ah, the ole days!  This is one of my favorite uniforms of all time.  The Cadets!

• Like 2