Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

19 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Is this the only time you've seen Bluecoats live this year?

Yes. But I'd find it hard to believe they would sound so different than the shows of them I had watched online. 

Despite my comments on the other thread, Bloo still has my 2nd favorite show (behind BD).

i very much hope finals placements end up being BD, Bloo, and then whoever else in third (probs Cavies, im not a fan of SCV this year). 

Good luck!! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ajlemm said:

I said this on the Minnesota thread too, but most people commenting watched tonight's competition on Flo. I was right on the 50 yard line in some really great seats...and could barely hear Blooo tonight. I've heard the show many times on YouTube and Flo, but There was something wrong tonight. Those of us in the stands missed out on a lot of the sound and so many of the cool elements that I've heard before.

SCV was absolutely on fire tonight and were easily the loudest corps there. The only time Bloo even came close to matching SCV's power was at the very end.

i say all of this to say that I think this played a big role in why scores ended up the way they did. People watching on the feed wouldn't have noticed the absolute lack of sound. bloo's effect was subdued tonight watching it live.

I agree - I noticed this too -- almost like half the sound system wasn't working or something? 

At this point in the season, I have three concerns with Bluecoats show:

1. It seems from what I have seen or heard from others that the corps is not as consistent from one run to another as I would expect such a veteran corps to be. I am sure the staff is on it.

2. The electronic set-up has been problematic with various amps / speakers sometimes not working or mics not communicating with the mothership. I wonder if there is any consideration being given to simplifying the set-up. Perhaps fewer speakers or mics? It may not even be possible at this point, but I find myself holding my breath every show hoping everything works well.

3. The ballad. I am afraid the ballad needs some major surgery. The intended effect hasn't consistently worked. Perhaps it is time to rethink the whole concept?

I know these observations aren't all rainbows and unicorns and I don't want to come off as a negative Nellie. I continue to be a big fan of the corps and this show but I hope these issues are  at least being discussed. Knowing how creative and effective this staff is, I am sure I will be blown away by the final product.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 5

vDP9Ksh.jpg

Photo credit: Paige Meisenheimer

Edited by superOOk
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Despite my comments on the other thread, Bloo still has my 2nd favorite show (behind BD).

i very much hope finals placements end up being BD, Bloo, and then whoever else in third (probs Cavies, im not a fan of SCV this year). 

Good luck!! 

We really do agree alot, its kind of weird.  I even agree with your parentheses.

34 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

At this point in the season, I have three concerns with Bluecoats show:

1. It seems from what I have seen or heard from others that the corps is not as consistent from one run to another as I would expect such a veteran corps to be. I am sure the staff is on it.

2. The electronic set-up has been problematic with various amps / speakers sometimes not working or mics not communicating with the mothership. I wonder if there is any consideration being given to simplifying the set-up. Perhaps fewer speakers or mics? It may not even be possible at this point, but I find myself holding my breath every show hoping everything works well.

3. The ballad. I am afraid the ballad needs some major surgery. The intended effect hasn't consistently worked. Perhaps it is time to rethink the whole concept?

I know these observations aren't all rainbows and unicorns and I don't want to come off as a negative Nellie. I continue to be a big fan of the corps and this show but I hope these issues are  at least being discussed. Knowing how creative and effective this staff is, I am sure I will be blown away by the final product.

Yeah I agree with these.  It is clear that Bloo's biggest gain is their GE. If these don't get fixed, I'm afraid for how their GE might stack up against Crown and SCV.  The show has so much potential, but they have so much going on electronically, that it is very easy for something to go wrong, so it is a bit of a risk.  I havent seen a recent run, have the switched to the marching euph officially in the ballad?

I think what is happening in the Minnesota show thread is that some fans of SCV (and perhaps other corps) are (wrongly) projecting the prior actions/posts of a certain (now-banned) fan of a certain Carolina-based corps onto the fans/alums of Bluecoats. In doing so, they are assuming that (like him) any mention of Bluecoats is merely an attempt to hype Bluecoats up and tear down anybody else.

Mention that Bluecoats had a bad run? Instead of acknowledging that the fans/alums of Bluecoats can be honest about the night-to-night performance level of their favored corps, they interpret as "making excuses."

Mention that SCV beat Bluecoats, even though Bluecoats had a much better run than the night before? Instead of acknowledging the praise that Bluecoats fans are giving SCV, they interpret as "you are accusing the judges of (still not sure what is alleged).

I know that being supportive of a corps, and defensive against perceived attacks, have both been traditions in DCI since the beginning. People just need to lighten up a bit, and be less suspicious, when fans of any corps try to put each night's performances into perspective.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

I think what is happening in the Minnesota show thread is that some fans of SCV (and perhaps other corps) are (wrongly) projecting the prior actions/posts of a certain (now-banned) fan of a certain Carolina-based corps onto the fans/alums of Bluecoats. In doing so, they are assuming that (like him) any mention of Bluecoats is merely an attempt to hype Bluecoats up and tear down anybody else

You should be a psychologist :)