Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

9 hours ago, BoaDci said:

I see 2011 like "sorry we changed our identity a bit too much, heres this to make you guys feel better".  I LOVE 2011, but it seemed like it was an apology to the fans that had a hard time with 2010, and then it got seemingly skipped (lol) as fan favorite due to the Cadets GE monster.  

I liked 2011 a lot as did many fans but Blue Devil’s nation dumped on it hard, especially after some changes around San Antonio. The Blue faithful felt Burt Bacharach was elevator music and beneath them and in an odd inversion you had fans trying to sell the show to the BD honks

so that and Cadets to push the show to the background 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Is it just me or are the crowd vibes in the YT videos this year MUCH better than usual? I'm trying to remember the last time every crowd, in every video, was so audibly pleased with BD's show... Definitely not '10, '12, or '13 (definitely not '13). And not '11 from what I can remember, even though that show was an attempt to be crowd-pleasing. Most people seem to like Felliniesque, but I still don't remember the crowd I saw it with Oohing and Aahing for the whole, like this year. People liked Ink but Crown definitely soaked up most of the good vibes that year. I adored 1930, but it wasn't especially popular right, more respected than loved? 

I don't know—this feels new to me, honestly. 

The music in this one is so infectious and they perform it with such joy and expression, that you would have to be lacking a pulse to not respond to it. I think part of what will put it over the top is all the heart and meaning in the show. It's a total tribute to who the organization is and all who have passed through it, and it shows in the performance of the members. They LOVE what they are doing and that broadcasts to the audience. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I liked 2011 a lot as did many fans but Blue Devil’s nation dumped on it hard, especially after some changes around San Antonio. The Blue faithful felt Burt Bacharach was elevator music and beneath them and in an odd inversion you had fans trying to sell the show to the BD honks

so that and Cadets to push the show to the background 

2011 is the one Devils show since I started following drum corps that I'm going to regret not seeing live (thanks, ill timed family vacation). But there were some bad changes in there, too (most distinct in my mind was the extra "and a house is not a home" at the end).

Great, great show.

14 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Just looking at the thumbnail... godda*n do their uniforms look slicker than anything else on the field this year or what 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

LOL look at 8:15, where the one guy in the center of the mass doing the bent-over shimmy during the Rhianna part stands straight up and stares at the audience. Hysterical!

Edited by NakedEye
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Everyfan said:

Just watched this again. There is so much to love. The nod to the origins with the "off the line." The fact the the historical horn quotes from yesteryear are played not sampled. The guard ensemble work with the rifles in the opener and the flags in the ballad. The screamers. The high brass feature when all the middle horns pick up trumpets to play. The drum solo (ignore the Rhianna audio and listen to what the drumline is doing). This show is incredible and the historical quotes bring tears to the eyes. To those who say they don't March....huh? Did you see that. Maybe it is time to bring back the 86/87 spats. Wow.

Whoever has the "hype overload" gif, please post it now...I am DEFINITELY in hype overload mode. I can't wait to see what they do with this by finals.

Image result for hype gif

• Like 8

7 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Aren't you sort of right about some of this, though? 2011 definitely felt like an olive branch, to me, while still being a weirdo show. 

Maybe, but I think thats a little too conspiracy to actually be true.  I have a hard time believing Scott Chandler would actually sacrifice an entire year of the design he wants to do JUST for the fans.  IDK though, I could be wrong, I certainly have been before.

Great show. Wonderful scores. Keep it up, Dev's!!

Bring it; Hype Overload...sweet!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NakedEye said:

LOL look at 8:15, where the one guy in the center of the mass doing the bent-over shimmy during the Rhianna part stands straight up and stares at the audience. Hysterical!

Okay. That is pretty hilarious. It even looks a little...dirty.

• Like 3