Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

Last night for BC and BD scoring was interesting. Based on scores and captions have me so curious and excited to see the match up show with these two. But based on what I am seing which is clear, means definitely putting BD ahead of BC in my humble opinion.

1.Blucoats caption judges had *Gene efect 1, 2,   *Visual: proficiency, Analysis, Color guard,   *Music: Brass, Analysis, Percussion. And scored 82.150

While

2.BD caption judges had *Gene efect 1, 2,   *Visual: Analysis,  *Music: Analysis, Percussion. And scored 82.500

Isn't that interesting.. ? Blue Devils is presently the only UNDEFEATED so far.

Edited by theonlyfizzle
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Dang, I wish I'd seen Felliniesque with you guys! I agree, for the record, that it's stupendous. But where I was sitting, in Allentown, people were being pretty begrudging, and it felt weird. I knew BD had won people over by Finals, though—how could they not. 

Either way, I'm just glad people seem excited this year. 

I saw them the day before at Rutgers. I was of the "oh my, that is the best designed and performed show I have ever seen since my first in 1963" camp. As were a lot of folks around me. Cadets were 2.3 behind in 2nd, and really, to me the spread between BD and everybody else was too close. They seemed to be doing a different activity, almost.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

I saw them the day before at Rutgers. I was of the "oh my, that is the best designed and performed show I have ever seen since my first in 1963" camp. As were a lot of folks around me. Cadets were 2.3 behind in 2nd, and really, to me the spread between BD and everybody else was too close. They seemed to be doing a different activity, almost.

Exact same thoughts here.

I was wondering how any corps could be 2-plus points better than Crown, Cadets, Bluecoats... until I saw BD.

It was the Blue Devils' world that summer... the rest of us were just passing through.  LOL

• Like 5

2014 I was able to see Devs at rehearsal block on the day of ATL.

The opening trumpet fanfare, and then the low brass hit knocked me back!   

The battery comes sailing around the left side - incredible.

The stands were low HS stands I was square in the blast zone. Ballad brought tears.  

I played Legend.  I am hoping to be deeply moved when I see them live.

I don't know if you realize how difficult the opening is. Sure they begin with the patterns we played. But in the usual ScoJo manner, something ordinary gets "ScoJo'd" adding all sorts of intricate extras and variations.  I can see him looking at the part, jamming on a pad, coming up with ideas - plus getting input from members.

Add the drill moves adding/subtracting players without hearing any music errors (when fully clean), and then 16 players on Kevlar, and top it off phat boy snares have a shorter sound duration imo so the exposure is huge.

I hope they pull it off and I hope it gets rewarded.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, c mor said:

2014 I was able to see Devs at rehearsal block on the day of ATL.

The opening trumpet fanfare, and then the low brass hit knocked me back!   

The battery comes sailing around the left side - incredible.

The stands were low HS stands I was square in the blast zone. Ballad brought tears.  

I played Legend.  I am hoping to be deeply moved when I see them live.

I don't know if you realize how difficult the opening is. Sure they begin with the patterns we played. But in the usual ScoJo manner, something ordinary gets "ScoJo'd" adding all sorts of intricate extras and variations.  I can see him looking at the part, jamming on a pad, coming up with ideas - plus getting input from members.

Add the drill moves adding/subtracting players without hearing any music errors (when fully clean), and then 16 players on Kevlar, and top it off phat boy snares have a shorter sound duration imo so the exposure is huge.

I hope they pull it off and I hope it gets rewarded.

Very curious to see what happens with the 16 snare feature and the drumline feature during the Rhianna stuff.   The "down the line split" at the end of the 16 snare feature is tricky to clean. The snare work in the Rhianna section is beyond difficult.  Thought I heard some watering already in that part. Add in the visual aspects and it's nearly impossible to pull off. 

Two things about BDs drumline that hold true almost every year. Their book is always the most nuanced and most difficult, and the visual demands placed on the drumline are far more than any other drumline. 

• Like 7

Ok, discussion time:  

I really would like to see an electronic announcement from BD this year.  Similar to what Bloo does.  Do like an old recording of Brandt Crocker "On the Starting Line From Concord, California etc.".  Can you imagine!?  It would be such a cool way to pay homage to that era, and it would add so much hype to that opener (not that it needs much more XD).  Thoughts?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Ok, discussion time:  

I really would like to see an electronic announcement from BD this year.  Similar to what Bloo does.  Do like an old recording of Brandt Crocker "On the Starting Line From Concord, California etc.".  Can you imagine!?  It would be such a cool way to pay homage to that era, and it would add so much hype to that opener (not that it needs much more XD).  Thoughts?

I bet that announcement will happen closer to finals week. Maybe Allentown. The whole opening sets it up oh too well.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Ok, discussion time:  

That would be pretty cool except Madison did that a few years back, (2013, Corps of Brothers). 

• Like 1