Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

4 hours ago, cowtown said:

Often, I feel BD’s design staff gets too much credit; it’s the marchers that pull it off. When BD gets beat, it’s on design and GE, usually not captions. This year, Vanguard came out with a more complete show (better at the time) but got beat on marching and playing (cleanliness bleeds into GE).  BD knows the sheets but they do put some junk on the field that is saved by the members. 2013 has so many undefined forms in the guard, many set  were determined by throwing equipment to the field and the marcher taking it’s spot, justified slop that is unreadable but tricks the sheets so is credited. Smart move but not good design

As for this specific point... I think you might be overstating it? I've watched 2013's guard repeatedly over the years and can only think of one moment when guard members throw things onto the field and marchers take their spot (during the closer, stage left, when the rifle and saber lines are transitioning into the full flag line). When else does that happen in the show? 

Either way, BD's performers definitely deserve credit—always—but for that show in particular, the staff clearly thought hard about focal points, transitions, how they could constantly be transforming the stage with all those poles, how to make it all seamless. It's as much of an epic math problem as, say, Cadets' two-toned angel/devil unis, but BD's staff still hasn't gotten enough credit for it, honestly. All those poles!!! I'm still shook. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

As for this specific point... I think you might be overstating it? I've watched 2013's guard repeatedly over the years and can only think of one moment when guard members throw things onto the field and marchers take their spot (during the closer, stage left, when the rifle and saber lines are transitioning into the full flag line). When else does that happen in the show? 

Either way, BD's performers definitely deserve credit—always—but for that show in particular, the staff clearly thought hard about focal points, transitions, how they could constantly be transforming the stage with all those poles, how to make it all seamless. It's as much of an epic math problem as, say, Cadets' two-toned angel/devil unis, but BD's staff still hasn't gotten enough credit for it, honestly. All those poles!!! I'm still shook. 

Agreed.  It is one of my favorite shows hands down.  I am still surprised they did not win on finals.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think you want to sit lower in the dome, though.  Better sound.  :12_slight_smile:

For sure! You can always watch a high cam to see a corps visuals, but there's only one way to get your face melted off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

All-time great stuff. Poles were so simple but used complexly and so effective for staging. And The Rite is my favorite piece of music ever. So so good

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think you want to sit lower in the dome, though.  Better sound.  :12_slight_smile:

I got as close to the front and 50 as I could for San Antonio. I am a connoisseur of getting my face melted.

• Like 1